Daily Driver Yet Another Accord to Replace the One a Drunk Wrote Off

7th Generation (2003-2008) vehicle added by Heckler, Saturday 31st Aug, 2019

1. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

2. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

OK... update number 1

Headlights refurbished, will be refitted this week, once some more UV protection fluid arrives... I ran out.
    Dash cam wiring finished.
    Reversing camera wiring finished.

MattBeardless likes this.
  3. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Matt Derby
    Good to hear, pictures would be great. :Smile:

4. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

Update 2

Headlights fitted and look sweet, LED front fog bulbs fitted.

Fuel situation... I had a full tank of fuel in the old car. So I bought one of those little drill powered pumps of amazon for £7.61, fitted a couple of short lengths of garden hose to each one. Got access into the fuel tank by removing the pump, stick one end in the tank, the other in a fuel can... and pull the trigger on the cordless drill.

I was expecting a trickle... but it worked surprisingly well.

I got somewhere between 48-50lts out of the tank. Considering the car had just been filled and only driven about 90 miles... a 65lt tank minus perhaps 9lts. Getting close to 50lts out of it is a saving of around £60... let's call it £52 after buying the pump.

That's definitely worth doing.

So the replacement car has a full tank of fuel, and I was able to put a further 8lts into the hire car... as that will need filling before it goes back in a week or so.

The replacement wheel arrived, and has been dropped of to be powder coated. A new tyre arrived today and will be fitted to that new wheel next week.

Aside from an oil change and some other fluids... I'm almost done transferring over the parts I needed to. Just need to buy a new dashcam to replace the damaged one and hook it up.

Last edited: Friday 27th Sep, 2019
  5. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune Staff

...a dashcam that was damaged in an accident? You really aren't having much luck here.

6. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

It was knocked loose and swung on the cable. It appears to have damaged the little USB socket as the connector is loose... the unit powers up, then powers down and is showing a flat battery. So even with the ignition turned on... it doesn't appear to be charging it back up.

7. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

The Honda Enkei alloys are all of my old car... and I've fitted 2 of them to the front of the new car. I was going to fit the 3rd good one and wait for the 4th which I will be picking up on Tues-Weds next week. As I was rolling the 3rd wheel over to give it a quick wash before putting it on the other car... I noticed a flap of rubber hanging off the inside side wall of the tyre. It's about 2" long and has been gouged against something in some way. It's fresh and there's no dirt inside the gouge. So I suspect it was done by the bloke who transported the car home... either on a sharp lip of the trailer of one of the ratchet clamps.

Either way, it needs a new tyre and as I'd just bought one for the other side of the same axle... I need an identical Avon ZV7 tyre. So I've ordered that, hopefully it will be hear in time to pick up the other wheel and I can ask them to fit this tyre to the other rim... They're pretty good and don't charge for removing/fitting tyres when they're powder coating them... and they only charge £66 per wheel which I think is pretty damn good considering most cheaper places only paint the face of the wheel and charge £50-55 and my experience of having wheels painted is that they don't last longer than 18months before they start peeling/bubbling.

Powder coating your wheels is the only way to do it... saving a few pounds is a fools choice.

As for the old car... the insurance finally agreed to pay out and once the cheque arrives I'll be roughly even on replacing it... but still down on all of the other work I did... and I still have to service this one. So at the end of the day after removing the reversing camera, dashcam, wheels and so forth... plus replacing a wheel getting it refurbished and buying 2 new tyres. I'll be a couple hundred down. So I really have to cross my fingers that the Motor Insurance Bureau cover the cost of my excess and a few extra expenses I've incurred (about £420 I think). If they do, then that covers my losses and the servicing.

8. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune Staff

If it helps, we can get the parts and oil to service it-just drop us an email over. :Smile:

9. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

I forgot to mention... they put their prices up... it's now £72 a wheel. But considering that's the first price rise in 3yrs it's not so bad.

10. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune Staff

Not far off the inflation rate, to be fair.

11. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

@MattBeardless what's your policy on helping out club members? I want to get an oil change done and a brake fluid flush. I've got the oil and filters and could pick up some brake fluid easily enough. What would it cost to pop round and have some one do it? Be nice to meet everyone as I'm only about 10 miles or so away. With my back issues and untreatable arthritis I just can't crawl around cars like I used to and this cold and damp makes everything even more painful.

12. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune Staff

Unfortunately mate, we aren't insured to undertake such work, there's also the obvious risk of brake fluid bleed nipples snapping, which would leave your car immobilized here.

Sorry. :Smile: