xbox 360: red rings

Discussion in 'Technology, Gaming & Phones' started by clive, Thursday 3rd Dec, 2009.

1. clive Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Right basically I got an xbox a while ago, brought MW:2 when it cam out, had a day off work, played it 11 hours straight. Turned it off, went to turn it on and 2 red rings popped up. Now I can turn it on, play upto about 15 minutes before it turns itself off and 2 red rings pops up.

Its been like it for a few weeks, I couldn't be bothered to fix it, its a second hand elite, I've now taken it apart. Just need to know what to do to stop it overheating, I don't think you do the same as the 3 rings.

Anyone know?

If not ill just buy a new one on the weekend

2. aji621 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Adam Colchester
    http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Fix-Red-Ring-of-Death&id=1432453

hope it helps dude

3. JDM_EJ9 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeh 2 rings is a overheating problem, are you familiar with building pc's mate?

4. chris_hatch Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Can you not just wack it back to microsoft? I know you can with 3 rings, despite the guarantee being expired. A flat mate sent his off a month or so ago, they just sent him a brand new console.

5. Remould Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Talking about red rings....

I had a well hot curry last night. :Tongue:

6. r883 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

do the same as you would with the 3 rings

you will need to renew the thermal paste

7. Lyall Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

check your connections dude, make sure all cables are in well. . . . can be that .

8. seanyreeves Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

just take the fans out the back and balance them ontop of the heatsinks worked for me so far, and as for red rings if the towel trick doesnt work overheat the fucker with a hairdryer n it goes away for fookin agesss

9. PSR Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Err, yeah, RROD is a bitch. You can fix them though. I have fixed 1, using this guide:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/xbox-360-repair.htm

On another note, 2 others i tried to fix failed.

10. ecksjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

send it back, they replace it for free. done and done.

11. Civboy@JSP Commercial Services Trader

dam i can't belive this red ring of death, I've had mine 4weeks before it hit the UK and still own the same 1 to this day!! never had a problem. since i heard about the ring of death ages ago i now freeze my xbox time to time with a pressurised can of air turn it upside down and there you go frozen air hehe plus blows the dust of it too inside

12. Mafew Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

got thge same issue with mine 2 weeks ago gunna send it back now as the xmas period is over :Tongue:

13. willeg6smith Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I Had Two Rings And sent it back to xbox and they sent me a brand new console with a free month xbox live subscription. but my warranty hadnt expired.

14. dozzy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I got E74 error the other day, UPS came and picked it up today, it's off on holiday to Germany.. I want it back! Suffering COD deprivation :|

15. Kv Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

mines just died too! :Frown: 3 lights. its already been fixed for it before. but its out of warrenty now :Frown:

16. r883 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

its easy to sort your self

just don't do the towel fix !!

17. Fong Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

or just buy my one that i have for sale.

18. crackers10 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My 360 made a full recovery from the rings of death, makes a hell of a racket now and loves to squeak!!