work (again)

Discussion in 'Steam Room' started by tombowman12, Thursday 24th Dec, 2009.

1. tombowman12 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

basically, i woke up this morning, went out to the car to start it and let it defrost and fell on my ass! My road is like 4mm thick with ICE! this is at like 6:30!

so i slide back inside and give my mate a call, he lives closer to work so i know he can get in! I tell him the situation and he said theres no point risking it! it's stupid! I phone him first as i know i can get hold of him, and he can tell the managers when he gets to work as they rarely answer the phones before 8am!

I waited half an hour to allow someone from management to open up the workshop and stuff before i give them a call to say i can't make it!

so i rang up work saying the situation, and i got an earful saying how un acceptable it is! saying how im lazy, and i don't want to go in because it's chrstmas eve and all this bollocks!

now i've been working there over a year now! and i've never been late without letting them know why! i've only been ill on ONE day, after throwing up at work! that wasn't even a full day off!

so basically, they want me to risk my safety, my car which has just been resprayed by my own hands, and other peoples safety/property to go to work for HALF A DAY? WTF?

then i get an earful about how there were 3 cars left unlocked last night! I checked the cars myself, in the freezing rain. all of them locked! so i dunno what going on there!

i'm worried now! got a feeling i'll go back to work and get a notice handed to me! theyve been getting rid of staff left right and center these past few months!

so annyed right now, i can't even relax infront of the TV watching custom my ride!

2. tbukhtaw Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

get your ass to work :Tongue:

3. scottboy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

go in later man, it will be fine

4. tombowman12 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

we're closing at 1 today bro! i honestly don't think it'll be thawed by then! its proper thick where my car is parked! and on a hill!

5. Bong Guest

Should have gone in work, used public transport or something, its no excuse really

6. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i walked this morning, why risk the car. It took me half an hour. Know i get to go home at 11.30and get paid for a full day. I would always try to get in, cos if they send you home, you get paid. But if you don't turn up. You'll never get paid. Unless your salaried of course.

7. tombowman12 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

thats the thing! I have a 45 minute drive every day to get to work! So walking isnt really an option!

and bong, i live out in the sticks! it's a 10 minute walk to the bus stop in dry conditions! and i fell on my ass just getting out the door this morning! i'll break my leg trying to get to the bus stop! thats a nice way to start xmas! i'm gonna try and get in! just gonna watch the thawing!

i just think its a little unfair having a go at me when i physically can't get there safely, when i am there 20 - 25 minutes EARLY every morning and have been for the year and a bit i've been working there! this is the FIRST time i haven't been able to make it in!

8. Bong Guest

:rofl:

Its just ICE! everyone is in the same boat not just your area, I've been walking everywhere, work, shops, hair cut, pub. The night before last it took me 2 hours to do 6 miles, you just do it because if you don't, someone else will

don't take this the wrong way but your a typical example of the panic this country gets itself in when theres a bit of bad weather, its no excuse IMO and yeah it winds me up a little bit

9. Edd Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Agreed, I walked in yesterday because I couldn't be arsed with the car.

Taken from my FB status:

Walk home: raining, almost deck it several times, get laughed at by a kid who looks as though his dad and grandad are the same person, get charged 10p for a carrier bag, step in a 9 inch deep puddle, almost get run over by a bus, arrive home cold and wet... conclusion drive in tomorrow!

I still did it though and didn't cry like a little wuss because I almost fell over on the ICE.

10. izard-industries Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

They can't sack you if your struggling to get to work because of poor conditions!

11. tombowman12 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

dude, i'm not complaining about the weather! i'm just a bit pissed about works attitude towards me having 1 day where i can't get in/get in on time! and i've still got holiday to use up but i'm not taking it, because to be fair, i'd rather work unless i've got something really important to do!

yes, it does wind me up too about how this country panics in a bad weather situation! and tbh, i don't think im panicing! its not like im OMG ICE, I'M NOT MOVING FROM MY SOFA ALL DAY! I MIGHT GET BRUISED!:Tongue:

it's warmed up outside now and the ICE is thawing rather nicely, i've spread salt down on the road and found a bit of grit to spread around my car! it's just a waiting game now! so i WILL be going in. i wanted to go to work today, i have a buddyclub bumper arriving!

12. onejdmcivic1984 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Mate I know the feeling!

At my work the bosses get shitted if im a minute late yet if I come in 5mins early before the start time they dnt give a shit. I've had a situation where my cunt of a boss was in the stockroom and saw me come out after droppng off my jacket and said I was 1minute late! 1 FUCKING MINUTE! To add insult to injury he wasnt even at the store and only come back so how the fuck can he accuse me of being late when he didnt know what time I started my lunch!?!

Apparently ppl were getting their jackets at work at 5:28 some days ago and he had a go st staff for getting their stuff ready for closing. Yet he failed to notice that it was fucking freezing outside and it was raining! Now most of us only wear shirts and a work top and thats it!

Also we NEVER shut on time (5:30pm finish) and always finish at 5:35-5:40 and we dnt complain about it! We dnt get paid overtime and we only have ONE 30min break in the 9hrs we are there!

RANT OVER! - OH P.S. I've WORKED THERE FOR 10 YEARS ALMOST! LOYALTY COUNT FOR SOMETHING? YEAH RIGHT

13. Wipdesigns Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Should have just said "come pick me up then you will see why i aint leaving the house boss..."

14. kellsled Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

don't be silly don't go in no point on risking your car over a days work if they sack u its unfair dismissal