wiring up a horn

Discussion in '5th Generation (1992-1995)' started by large_steve182, Sunday 15th Nov, 2009.

1. large_steve182 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

how should i go about it,

got a steering wheel to replace the standard bus honda wheel

but there no centre cap etc for a horn,

my MOT is in 5 days, so i need a horn and my road rage is getting bad again so i need my horn,

how can i go about wiring one up. does the horn have to be steering wheel mounted or can you have it anywhere?

where could i easily put it?

I've got a switch on to the right of the steering wheel, usually where the electric mirrors would be if i had them i believe, where there was just a blanking plate, buts its an on off switch rather than a push switch.

2. kipper Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wired a push switch button beside my ignition barrel on the lower steering colum surround, Its simple and works but reminded me on how gay my horn sounds :Frown: .

3. large_steve182 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

yeah my horn is really girly, its like a gentle chirp,

i have some old dixie horns, i was going to merge all the tubes together so it plays all 5 horns at one time, but seems more hassle than its worth, when i can just put the window down and shout "cunt"

4. Pacman SiR2 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

that blanking plate where the control for the mirrors should be on higher spec'd Civics just push/pop it out then drill a hole in it then stick a push button on it wired to the horn, dead simple, iv actually gotta do it for my MOT as i have aftermarket wheel aswel.

you can get the buttons from ebay for couple of quid. i think the button has to be so close to the steering wheel, thats it. doesn't have have to be on the steering wheel.

5. callan Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I've got a proper horn push on my sparco and mine still doesnt work....

6. Liam Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i had to fit a horn switch on mates EG, there's a plug for the original steering wheel horn. you need to take a live feed from the fuse box(doesn't really matter where) connect that to one side of your horn switch (either steering wheel or push button) and connect the other side to the solid blue wire in that plug an you got yourself a horn min :Grin: ps, think the horn button has to be a push button rather then an on/off switch no 100% on that tho, also i used a flebay steering wheel horn switch works ok tho mugen sticker makes it look trick hehe:Grin: