General Why not to buy a Civic Type-R FK8 instead of a Civic 1.5 Turbo

Discussion in '10th Generation (2016)' started by tomwillie, Monday 20th Aug, 2018.

1. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston

Having recently test driven a Civic Type-R GT FK8 I agree with the objective sentiments of this You Tube post, the Type-R is just not worth the extra cost over the Civic 1.5 Turbo unless you are a track day enthusiast but then the warranty will be voided if it is used for track days!

In addition to the points made in You Tube Post the Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus & Prestige models have: adjustable dampers as the Type-R, washers on headlights, a sunroof with a clever mesh sun blind, heated leather seats with electric lumbar adjustment & the Prestige also has room for space saver spare. The fuel tank in the Type-R FK8 is also of too small volume at only 46 litres. In the previous Type-R FK2 version it was 50 litres, which is a more suitable volume considering the increased fuel consumption of FK8 over the Civic 1.5 Turbo. Unlike FK2 the FK8 requires the use of Super unleaded fuel & its special tyres, which wear quickly, cost double that of standard Civics.

The ideal top of the range Civic would be the Prestige with the STi 200ps engine with a limited slip differential as is available in US Civic coupes.

Instead of the Civic FK8 Honda should have produced an up to date S2000 with the FK8 engine.

Apparently Hyundai have stated that un-competitive track day use will not void the warranty on the I30N.

2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    well I think @Tim B might disagree, he seems to like his FK8...

Tim B likes this.
  3. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Personally I’d have a 1.0EX. Hate all the chrome trim on the prestige.

MattBeardless likes this.
  4. Tim B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Tim Buxton
    yes right, thats way they have sold out in USA and the dealers are adding a premium. Rumour mill has it that a de-winged slightly lower powered version may be coming out.

andy83 likes this.
  5. Mr Honda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Dublin
    There's spy pics of a facelift FK* with a smaller spoiler.
    I'd love to see the coupe in RHD with a detuned 2.0T but the US Si have a higher powered 1.5T which would work too.

honda-civic-type-r-facelift-spy-photo.

Tim B and andy83 like this.
  6. Sandy52 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    Much as I like the new Civic it is now wider than the new CR-V!!! - Civic -2117mm vs new CR-V 2095 mm(both includes mirrors). The cars seem to be getting wider and roads and parking places smaller!
    What will happen with the next model, maybe we will only be able to use it on A roads and motorways?

7. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    Honda cannot win whatever they do. People moaned about the EP3 being too harsh of a ride and too noisy inside etc. They were an excellent car especially at the time as they flew once you got them revved up and handled like a dream. My EP3 track car still keeps with modern stuff and the only mods it has are uprated pads and brake cooling ducts.

Then Honda made the FN2, nice looking and a lot more gadgets on it but not the out and out beast it should have been with a Type-R badge on it to appease people that wanted a Type-R but wanted to use one as a daily. It got slated by the Type-R crowd because they had tried to make it user friendly.

The FK2 looked great too and now with a turbo it seemed like it was going to be great. I drove one round Donington and thought it was great and with all the mod cons. It wasn't my car so I didn't get to chuck it around loads but it felt planted and the turbo kick was great but it felt like the Type-R was an afterthought to the standard range.

Then the FK8 was designed as a Type-R from the start and you can tell. It looks and sounds like a Type-R should. I've not had the chance to drive one but if it goes half as well as it looks then I'm sure it'll be like the Type-Rs of old. I'm glad Honda have made the Type-R what it should be again.

The video should really be titled "Track focused road car not as economical or comfortable as non track focused model"

legend-ary, Tim B and andy83 like this.
  8. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

how many people follow honda engine room and seen how many records the FK8 has taken all ready, some people like to moan and not know the background totally to the time honda puts in to these cars the 10th Generation is a total new platform and is world wide uses the same with a few changes...
    Thanks
    Andy

Tim B and Hondalad like this.
  9. Tim B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Tim Buxton
    This car is epic and pretty much does everything , next year I’m planning on driving to Switzerland and onto Italy amd across to Greece on the ferry. I only have one concern (apart from the driver) and that is punctures. So planning on taking spare tyre

andy83 likes this.
  10. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate great comment remember the pics when you do it :Smile: please...

Tim B likes this.
  11. Golf_R New Member Getting Started

European Union fireman sam england
    Just ordered my FK8, saved on metallic and went for rally red... can't wait!

12. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Can't wait to see it!!

13. tniessensr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Tom Gosport
    Bought my wife a 1.0 SR CVT, drove it every weekend in the last two months only to get rid of my 2013 Accord to buy my own 1.5T Sport black manual as training wheels to get back behind the wheel of the Type-R (hopefully next year)

I am in the camp of wanting a road legal track car I can use daily instead of a road car that can go on a track and massage my backside in the process. That's what BMW/MB/AUDI is for. Type-R is the real deal. Check out Nordschleife all time lap-records and see where the Type-R ranks. Incredible achievement.

14. tniessensr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Tom Gosport
    Link to Wikipedia page of Laptimes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nürburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times#Timing_by_manufacturers

15. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    If you are into track days FlyinGato on You Tube may be of interest as he tracks his Type-R:
    He has solved gear grind problems & in more recent videos covers rusting of plugs due to water leaking down from bonnet air scoop.
    When I had a four wheel alignment done on my Prestige after the rear camber adjusters had been dismantled to be internally greased the front camber of a front wheel was found to be out of spec. However, Honda paid for this to be corrected FoC & another four wheel alignment done.

Last edited: Sunday 21st Apr, 2019
  16. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston

It appears that the Honda Civic Type-R may be subject to water ingress from the bonnet scoop down onto the two centre coil packs/spark plugs.

17. Azzaaaaaaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Aaron Stoke-on-Trent
    Any pictures of the new motor?

andy83 likes this.
  18. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    FlyinGato has warning about use of High Performance Summer Tyres in Winter in that if below zero & car parked outside the tread can crack. Apparently a warning about this in the Type-R handbook. Note he has fitted 18 inch rims on which to fit all season tyres for winter use.
    Refer also: https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273

With standard 235/40 R17 tyres Michelin Cross Climates may be fitted.