Electrical & Lights Where's My Reversing Sensor?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by LostBoke, Saturday 19th Jan, 2019.

1. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Hi, I finally got around to try to fix my reversing sensor. After taking out the boot lining, I cannot see the unit. The only cable from/to the rear bumper comes through the O/S and travels along the O/S. I thought that the unit may have been hiding behind some metalwork, the first thing I removed looked like an alarm (?) and there's something further in but I cannot reach it. Is this the unit I'm looking for? IMG_20190119_142650.

Sorry about the quality of the photo - it was a hurried shot.

2. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yes, I think that's it, its a rectangular box, if I recall correctly if you put one hand in through the hole and hold it, you can undo the one nut. Once that's off, you can pull it back and disconnect the wire.

honda_saj, LostBoke and Harvey like this.
  3. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@SpeedyGee is correct, its connected to the body using one of the locating holes for the alarm. I have a copy of the factory instructions for the installation of the reverse sensors if you are not sure. I will probably be installing mine in the summer or on a good dry day when I can actually get assistance to do the work.

LostBoke likes this.
  4. JapCar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bristol
    Hi all. sorry for off topic.
    Are the alarm and parking sensor factory installed in Japan or are pre sell installed by dealer? (7th generation)

Harvey likes this.
  5. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Alarm would be preinstalled, the reverse sensors in should imagine would be dealer installed as they where an optional part, rather than factory fitted.

honda_saj and JapCar like this.
  6. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Thanks for the replies. It sounds like something my 'banana' fingers are not going to enjoy. I may start at the other end, is the 'beeper' in the box by the speaker under the parcel shelf? Harvey, yes the installation guide would be very helpful.

7. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

The speaker is in the boot, behind the right hand side rear wheel arch trim if memory serves me correctly.

LostBoke likes this.
  8. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Ah! so is it the box next to the unit (which I took to be the alarm)?

9. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

It should be quite a discreet little box near the main wiring loom on the right hand side behind the trim. Tried finding a picture on google to show you but I failed...

10. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    O.k. Thanks for trying.

11. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The beeper for the unit is screwed to the bottom of the parcel shelf near the drivers side 6x9 speaker.

Hopefully this is a link to the correct documents as I emailed a copy of them to another member recently.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/odj8m6f5vbhuwm6/Documents.rar?dl=0

LostBoke likes this.
  12. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Thanks for attaching those docs @Harvey but they are quite hard to follow through as they are.

With a bit of effort you could turn that into a Guide or at least post the pics in the correct order in their own thread and post the link here.

Nighthawk and Harvey like this.
  13. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Thanks Harvey, very informative. I see on the last page there's a self diagnostic, any idea in I can access this or is it a main dealer thing?

14. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    @Harvey don't want to hijack thread but rather than make new one i would add my issue on here on my tourer the reverse senors have stopped working could be speaker unit or fuse however i cannot find on my esm ? I know reverse switch is working as reverse lights come on and rear wiper when fronts are on.

15. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

on saloon models, the reverse sensors are tapped into the reverse light wire on a multi plug in the trunk. I should imagine the estate version is very similar, though cannot say where the multi plug might be. I would assume on the drivers side behind the cargo area panel (usually where the subwoofer is located)

honda_saj likes this.
  16. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    Ah will have a look around there did recently replace alarm siren battery and may have knocked off :salute:

Harvey likes this.
  17. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Just a small update.

The easiest way I could think of to test the CPU was to check the voltage output to the beeper. And there was none. So I bought a used unit online and, on fitting it, - still no luck. But, on checking, I did have an output to the beeper. So I removed the beeper,

Beeper1.

When I prised the unit open, there was the problem.

Beeper2.
    The contacts had corroded completely,

Beeper3.

Right up to and including the centre coil.

Trying to find a replacement is not easy, at the moment I'm waiting for similar type of unit, that I can (hopefully) adjust to fit, to wing it's way from China - thanks ebay.

To be continued.......

18. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    The beeper unit arrived, and as it was for a Skoda, was in need of adjustment/bodging, after which - I now have a working parking sensor. Whoopee!!

Harvey and SpeedyGee like this.
  19. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

well done, and I know a little late, but at least you got a parking sensor working again

LostBoke likes this.