What phone has everyone got?

Discussion in 'Technology, Gaming & Phones' started by DrSam, Thursday 3rd Jan, 2019.

?

What mobile phone has everyone got?

1. Samsung

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Apple

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Hauwaii

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Sony

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Nokia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Honor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Xiaomi

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. HTC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. LG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (Please state below)

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Just curious what mobile phones people using.
    I been using non UK phones since 2013, best choice I made.
    Currently using a Ulefone Power 3 bought in January 2017 for £160.

Battery: 6080mAh
    Storage capacity: 64GB
    Processor: Octa Core, 2.0GHz
    RAM: 6GB
    Operating System: Android 7.1
    Screen Size: 6.0 inch
    Rear camera: 16MP(Interpolated to 21MP) + 5MP Dual Camera
    Front camera: 13MP + 5MP Dual Camera

Also has Dual Sim, Fingerprint Sensor & Quick Charge.

Lewis at H-Tune and honda_saj like this.
  2. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've got an iPhone of some sort.

Don't know which one or what it does.

3. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

I hope it makes phone calls and texts :Tongue:

honda_saj likes this.
  4. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    currently using samsung g3 and lg k3 although looking to buy oneplus as has many custom roms, was looking into chinese however i always root my mobile with custom roms so prefer branded. Also oneplus dual sim so i can carry one mobile. :Smile:

Lewis at H-Tune and DrSam like this.
  5. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

Dual sim was the reason why i went for a Chinese phone, got fed up carrying one phone for work and one for personal.
    Took a gamble buying a Chinese phone and it paid off.

Lewis at H-Tune and honda_saj like this.
  6. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes the only downside is custom rom developement they can be rooted quite easily however not much develoipemnt on xda developers for theses models where as oneplus has very active development.

DrSam likes this.
  7. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

Yeah I have noticed that too

honda_saj likes this.
  8. rimmo Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Charlie Brigg North Lincs
    This may sound very strange but I don't own a mobile phone.:Aghast:
    However I do have a company iPhone 6 that I am allowed to use for personal use.

honda_saj likes this.
  9. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

Fair enough, not all companies allow to use their phones for personal use.

10. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

I'm one of those people who thinks that getting the latest bit of shiny is a complete waste of money and only fools do it... :Smile:

So I tend to stick to the mid range... in fact my rule is that my phones mustn't cost more than £200... and I'm fine with buying them slightly used... My last 3 for example have come via Amazon warehouse deals.

I then use a sim only monthly plan, unlimited mins/txts and 4GB data for £10 a month.

I keep my phones on average 3yrs unless they break in some way.

So my total cost of ownership over a 3yr period is less than £600 inc cost of phone and tariff.

Compare that to the people who go out and buy the latest phone on a £40 a month plan that has a min 24 month contract. You pay £960 over 2yrs compared to my £440... and £1440 over 3yrs compared to my £560.

My current phone that I've had about a year now is the Motorola G5S+... It does everything I need it too, is fast, the battery will last a couple of days, the fingerprint sensor is very fast and the screen is crisp and clear... the camera is pretty decent too.

I picked that one up because the battery began to bulge on my old Wileyfox Storm (a great phone) after 2yrs... and I was going on holiday a few days later and needed a quick replacement. I paid £186 for a phone that was supposed to be £259.

A few weeks later, I stripped down the Wilefox and found I could repair it.. so I did for a few pounds and gave it to my mum as an upgrade.

There's no logical reason to spend £700+ on a device... it's throwing money down the drain... all because people have been convinced that owning the latest shiny is 'cool' because phones are now a fashion statement for a small minority instead of a tool to do certain tasks.

I'm more than happy with what I buy... it's only a tool... it needs to make/receive calls/txts... give me access to the net from time to time and allow me to catch up on news and stuff... Outside of that, I don't need it for gaming, I don't use them for social media... and aside from the real shitty stuff you can buy for less than £100... Every single other phone on the market can do that... It all depends on personal choice, and I hate with a passion all the shitty overlays and customisation that vendors do to android... I want mine clean and free from bloat... and you can either buy a motorola or a pixel for that... One is hideously expensive and not worth the money... the other is reasonably priced and a decent phone.

DrSam and honda_saj like this.
  11. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    I use to have that set up a few years ago when I had a company phone and a company car. I didn't own my own phone or my own car for many years.

honda_saj likes this.
  12. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

I'm like that as well, phone budget is £200 and then get a sim only contract for upto £15. Currently got unlimited text and mins and 200gb data for £14.
    I don't upgrade as well lol. My last phone I had for 4 years before I changed it, only reason I changed it is because it was getting slow. Android 4.4 kitkat.

honda_saj and Heckler like this.
  13. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A wipe and custom rom would have fixed that :jumpy:

DrSam likes this.
  14. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

Custom Roms actually available for that phone but some banking apps don't work on rooted phones.

honda_saj likes this.
  15. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

most if not all banking apps won't work with rooted phones, but i never use banking app, my bank has been trying to get me on it for years, i just use old fashined way of browser to use online banking :Wink:
    - - - Updated - - -
    I stopped using android pay because they won't let me use root phone

DrSam likes this.
  16. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

I like that I can log into my bank from my phone or tablet, means I can check it on the go and make sure I can afford whatever it is I'm thinking of getting. I would root my phones and install something like Lineage OS (because of it's enhanced security and privacy settings and zero bloat). it's why I loved my old wileyfox storm phone... But as you point out... some apps will no longer work.

By the time I replace my current phone... It will probably be another Motorola GxS+... they'll be on 8 or 9 by then I think.

Lewis at H-Tune likes this.
  17. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lineage os is a good rom

18. Garrydhu Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Billy Dor Carrigaline
    2nd Xiaomi phone mi Max 2 dependable, great big screen etc solid