What games is everyone playing at the minute?

Discussion in 'Technology, Gaming & Phones' started by Baggedcivic99, Monday 3rd Dec, 2018.

1. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Respectfully, we can agree to disagree on the ability of overclocking and building high performance systems Heckler mate. :Drinks: Intel CPU's are all built underclocked - there is no difference in the manufacturing process between say an i9 9900x and a 7900x, other than the latter is underclocked at time of production. So overclocking, you unlock its basic clock speed of the "faster" chip, which is by no means then exceeding its limits. AMD's - well different story.

@legend-ary - I agree with Heckler about this one - for that money, you arent likely to be purchasing good performing new parts. Second hand would be the best option.

Last edited: Tuesday 15th Jan, 2019
  2. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

If you can afford the X, get it... you may be able to pick up a 4K TV later on, and it will run fine in 1080p... But if you get the S... and then get a 4K tv later... you might be kicking yourself for not getting the X.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I don't think were' disagreeing on the ability of overclocking, I'm just trying to dispel a few of the 'myths' I keep hearing about AMD CPU's. :Smile: I've been building AMD systems for the last 17yrs, and back in the early 2000's they were kicking Big Blue's backside... First maker to hit 1ghz (T-birds) and those T-Bird 1.2's were supremely overclockable... I had mine running at 1.7Ghz... that's a 40% boost. Granted AMD have stumbled at times and released really poor CPU's... The first gen of the Phenom and the FX lines. But the Ryzen line has intel worried and rightly so, and the 3xxx series coming mid year, is set to give users that jump in boosts that intel has had recently... We're talking 5ghz boost clocks... I can't wait for those to come out. :Smile:

I know Intel were using really crappy thermal compound on their CPU's... which is why anyone seriously overclocking them was delidding and fixing that issue... But the new 9xxx series are soldered which improves the thermals a little, but makes delidding and improving them further... next to impossible.

Intel seem to be on the back foot at the moment, their 9xxx series is a bit of backward step in some cases... increasing cores on some but removing HT... Isn't it the old 8600/K that was 4/4 and is now just 6... I'd have to double check.

If I had the money to burn, I'd have gone 9700K and a Z390 board... But that doubles the price.

3. dslopees Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom dslopees Cambridge
    @legend-ary It's been a crazy month and just got the chance to catchup today!
    You asked, and here they are, my computer specs are the following:

Asus Strix GTX 1070 8G
    Intel I7-7700K 4.2GHz
    Asus ROG Maximus X Hero
    Corsair Dominator Platinium DDR4 3000MHz
    Corsair RM850x
    Corsair H115i Liquid Cooler
    Samsung SSD 250GB
    Western Digital Black 1TB HDD

NZXT S340 Elite
    Dell 24" Monitor
    Anne Pro Mechanical Keyboard
    Asus Wireless Mouse
    Thrustmaster T500RS
    Thrustmaster TH8 RS
    Homemade Playseat (with shifter on the right side :shock:) I want to sell it and get a proper one in the future

And the games that I play all the time are:
    Forza Horizon 4
    Forza Motorsport 7
    Assetto Corsa
    And I'm thinking on buying the Tom Clancy's The Division 2

I just change house so I will be making a new game station! But for now I will leave a photo of what it was on the old house :Smile:

NormalStation. GamingStation.

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 15th Feb, 2019
    legend-ary likes this.
  4. legend-ary Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    That is an impressive selection of parts.
    curiously, on windows 10 store, FH4 and FM7 are around $59-$79 here in Canada.. I have only just switched to Windows 10 so curious if these games ever go on sale?

A few things I have discovered in my search for re-entry into gaming.
    * Xbox One S disc games can be bought used and even new ones go on sale pretty oftern but don't support cross play on PC.
    * Digital games can be played on console or PC but are almost always full price
    * Xbox Games Pass sounds like a good option $12 pm for access to pretty much any game on any platform.

I would rather buy the games outright but paying full price is not something I would like to do.

5. dslopees Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom dslopees Cambridge
    Thank you! I bought FM7 on sale 1 year ago, I guess you just need keep your eye on the sales that they do on the Windows 10 Store.

Only the games labelled as Xbox Play Anywhere, and theres some games like Forza that you can buy as a disc.

This is a new one for me, I didn't knew that the games on Xbox Game Pass were Xbox Play Anywhere, I may give it a try.