What car? Yeah another one of these

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by ste91, Sunday 16th Jun, 2013.

1. ste91 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Another one of those annoying topics that some people hate, I'll cut it short, this is what I need:

- cost under £2k (could spend more but really want to keep it under 2k)

- diesel

- hatchback with a decent sized boot

- cheap to insure (very important)

- fun to drive (don't take this too seriously, read my post below to see what I mean)

I've narrowed it down and at the moment all I can think of is a 1st Generation Ford Focus TDCi or an MG ZR diesel, I'm not a fan of anything French or Vauxhall, and VAG cars are mostly out of my price range, I could afford something like a Fabia VRS but I really don't want to spend the money, I've got to the point where I don't want to throw all of my savings at a car so I'm trying to stick to a budget. I don't really want to be buying things like coilovers so I want something that's fun in standard form.

Other cars I've considered are 1.7 Civic diesels but again they're expensive unless you go for one with high mileage.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 16th Jun, 2013
  2. DafWales Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A 1st Generation focus is certainly not a fun car...

£2k for a fun diesel is asking quite a bit from the start.

Not impossible though.

Best bet just smash onto auto trader and piston heads, put £2k as your max and dirv only... See what comes up and tickles your fancy.

Your only going to get the same answers as all the other 'what car should I get' threads.

3. ste91 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When I say fun to drive I don't necessarily mean properly fun I.e. loads of power and go-kart like handling, I just want something that handles reasonably well (the Focus for example has fully independant rear suspension) and something that doesn't have dull overly-assisted steering.

Most small cheap Jap cars for example are absolutely shit when it comes to this, very cheap basic suspension setups.

I'm set on a ZR tbh but I just get the feeling I've completely overlooked or forgotten certain cars that might be better.

4. benashley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

:huh:  Have you ever driven either of these cars? They are about as far from being "Fun to drive" as you can get

5. ste91 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Again, don't take the "fun to drive" part too seriously...

6. DafWales Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well put it this way... I've driven a 1st Generation focus diesel and my SMX is more of a joy to drive and I genuinely think it would out perform it handling wise lol.

Like I said check the car sites with a max of 2k. You'll be surprised what you come across !

7. ste91 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm not too keen on the Focus to be honest was just going by what the reviews were saying, I'm basically decided on a ZR as I like the way they drive (expecting a load of abuse and everyone telling me how shit they are lol), but there isn't much else out there that ticks all the boxes.

I originally wanted a small van but the insurance is mega expensive, same for most estates and bigger cars.

Just spotted that Megane DCI Sport thing for sale and while I don't fancy owning a French car I've driven a normal Megane and it wasn't bad so this definitely ticks all the boxes, but it's way over my budget.

1st Generation Megane diesels are well within my budget, anyone got any experience with these? Where's Porker lol

8. DafWales Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I recently picked up an 05 Megane 1.6 petrol with the panoramic roof for a female friend of mine. Cost £1000 with 70k and full service history and very good condition. I drove it and was surprised how nice it drove to be fair. Although I'm still a bit weary after all the shit friends have had with same age clios.

9. RandomDan Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If your just after dirt cheap motoring nothing comes cheaper than a non turbo starlet.

Its not the most exciting thing to drive in the worl but the little engine has good poke because its tiny!

The only drawback really is that they are TINY!

suuuurrrreeee.

10. ste91 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had one of these, infact I've had two of them lol, brilliant cars and I would have another but they are far too small and the handling is pants unless you spend money on them. Nothing beats them for reliability though, I would have something like a Corolla of the same age but the engines are either boring or too heavy on fuel.

11. graham27 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Again, clio 172, get one for about £1000-£1200, great fun, cheap to run (geniunely good on fuel) and when they break it costs £12 for most parts. Fuck diesels

12. RandomDan Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They arnt great round corners but still a bit of a giggle!

13. ste91 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I loved mine,  had uprated shocks and springs, strut braces etc... and it was a good little car but they're simply too small, a decent sized boot is a must.

Well done.

14. D3MENT3D Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I know you said you don't want VAG but look at a 4th Generation GTTDI, loads of them about and generally bombproof engines. I hear the 130 is the one to go for and a quick remap will see you putting out 150+BHP and still 55mpg.

Just look for decent service history, and check electrics and drivers window mechanisms.

15. coupeciviclsi Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Luke cheltenham
    as much as everybody hates MG's the diesel ones really arent too bad! its a BMW derived engine! 

they do go wrong but not often the worst case scenario being the high pressure fuel pump injectors are common and so are low pressure fuel pumps but none of which being mega expensive apart from the hi pressure pump

16. ste91 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's not a BMW engine, only the Rover 75/MG ZT used the BMW engine, the L series diesel found in the rest of the MG/Rover cars is 100% Rover but it is a good engine, the L series is very reliable it's just the VP30 fuel pumps on the later models than can fail, the MAF sensors deteriorate over time and the rubber boost hoses can split. But apart from that they can take a lot of abuse.

The interiors are dated but I can live with that as they have very comfy half leather seats and the driving feel is so much better than you'd expect.

17. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

what's with your obsession with cheap diesel hatchbacks?

18. RandomDan Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Im assuming it has something to do with liking the D.

19. DafWales Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They sell online for about £1.5k... I can ask for the receipt if that helps lol.

And this was from a trader just wanting to get rid for some new cars coming in.

You can get some really good deals when your open to what ever car.

20. ProjectUKDM Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Saab 9-3 2.2 tid VERY cheap on insurance I got quoted for £2100 at 17 they have a massive boot decent MPG 40+ and can be fun to drive.