Facelift Model Weird ACC warning

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by MikeM-271048, Sunday 13th Jan, 2019.

1. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    I have had the same problem twice in 48 hours. Not long after starting (in cold weather), the Check Engine, ABS, and ACC warning lights all came on, with the ACC warning also at the bottom of the MID. The car went into what I understand is called "protect" mode, with very little acceleration.

On the first occasion, I called out the roadside assistance I have as part of my fully comp insurance, and they took me to the supplying dealer. Who ran the OBD, reset the warnings, took the car for a spin and said "Bring it back if you have any problems". In other words, FIIK.

Well, the next day it happened again. Rather to my surprise I was able to limp home (about 20 miles), and tomorrow I shall be taking it back to the dealer.

Other than the obvious that this is something to do with the radar or the braking system, has anyone got any ideas? I am not awfully confident that the guys at the dealership know their A*** from their Elbow.

2. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    you need a garage with good diagnostic or honda HDS to diagnose deep DTCs and work from there.

3. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Thanks for that, but what are DTCs? Is that an abbreviation for diagnostics?

4. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Diagnostic Trouble Codes some DTCs will not show up with cheap diagnostic scanner.
    - - - Updated - - -
    you could buy clone HDS that i use which is around £100

5. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    I see, but given that this is a Honda dealer, won't they have official diagnostic software supplied by Honda?

6. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes they will but they will charge you for each visit each time to read code and some DTC require a few times to cure they are called stealers for this and other reasons. This cost does not include any repair that will be seperate, also i have known delaers to replace assemblies rather than diagnose faults obviously at customers expense.

7. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    He hasn't charged me for Friday, and since he is the halfwit who failed properly to tighten the sump drain plug after a service last year, he isn't going to charge me a penny until this problem is sorted out.

honda_saj likes this.
  8. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fair enough then thats a result.

9. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Went back to the dealership this morning. The turbo was whistling quite audibly.
    The head mechanic put the car straight onto the lift, removed the front left wheel, and was able to remove the jubilee clip from the turbo hose without any tool. He tells me the tube had worked loose at one end on Friday, then the other end on Saturday. Perhaps he was feeling a bit sheepish about that, because he didn't want any money for the work.
    My guess is that the draught from the turbo hose was upsetting the sensors for ACC, because I can't think of any other connection between what we observed and the warning lights that came on.
    (Fingers crossed) all's well that ends well.

honda_saj likes this.
  10. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Fingers crossed :Smile:

honda_saj likes this.
  11. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Indeed! Can anyone think of any circumstance in which this hose would have been handled during a routine service? It's not that I think the guy is a cack-handed idiot, but if these hoses loosened because of vibration, then perhaps I need to worry where that came from. Admittedly this is my first car with a turbo (previously, I was a convinced petrol head), but I have never heard of this kind of fault before.

honda_saj likes this.