Suspension, Steering and Brakes Wandering Steering

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by jayok, Wednesday 12th Dec, 2018.

1. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I got a new to me 2007 CR-V EX all standard, with 93kms on the clock (58K miles). The car has a full Honda service history, and drives around the town without issue. However, I notice that the steering wheel is off centre and pulling left. Not an issue, I've had it aligned and the toe and thrust angles were out and adjusted to within spec. No longer the pull on the car, and at low speed (e.g. 20 mph) the steering is straight, however at motorway speeds, it's a different story.

At higher speeds (>40 mph), the steering wheel has to be held left to keep straight, and the car is twitchy. I mean a simply cruise on the motorway is actually exhausting as I constantly have to adjust the car to go straight. Now, I've checked:

1. Tyre pressure and wear patterns
    2. Alignment
    3. LCA bushes front and rear (all look ok and seem firm)
    4. Tie-Rods - no movement
    5. Shocks (no visible leaks)

But it still wanders... not I've had countless Honda's include a Gen2 CR-V, Accord, S2000, Insight, Stream, etc and never had this issue. Anyone have any suggestions?

The garage says there is no issue, but this wandering cannot be normal.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I should add it's the 2.0 petrol with EPS..

2. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    When you had the alignment done was it 4 wheel laser alignment?

If so do you have a picture of the printout that you could post here?

Matt at H-Tune likes this.
  3. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep, it was a 4 wheel laser by the famous Hunter Hawkeye Elite system. The printout is in the car and I'll submit tomorrow. Only items "outside" spec was the camber on the the driver-side of the car, but it was small like 0.03' outside spec (doing from memory). But such a small camber won't affect the stability, TBH it feels like a bushing is loose, but the steering is also very dull

4. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Have you checked for play in the upper ball joint?

5. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

MacPherson struts on the front, so there's no "upper" ball joint there. Lower ones look intact too... Trailing arm in the rear and the control arm is solid.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I could be hunting here for ages, as it looks like it only appears under the load of a high-speed roll :Frown:

6. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

ARB and drop links all good?

honda_saj likes this.
  7. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Cliff County Durham
    Maybe it is normal, and camber makes it go walkabout at higher speeds.

8. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

What tyres are fitted and what is there age?

9. billycrv Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

have you checked the steering rack bushes (ones holding rack to subframe), or power steering angle reset - might be power steering trying to compensate minor adjustments. also when driving straight is the steering wheel in dead ahead position.

10. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks all - see attached the tracking as done. Yes, camber is out on the right-side of the car, but by small number of minutes (and is not adjustable). Doesn't explain the wandering to me.

1. I've not checked the steering rack bushes... good call!
    2. The tyres have about 5kms on them
    3. Don't think it's "normal" it's very twitchy. Another family member has a diesel (I-DTEC) from 2010 and no issues
    4. The ARB is free to move and not restricting travel

How do I "power steering angle reset"?

Thanks.

tracking.

Last edited by a moderator: Thursday 13th Dec, 2018
  11. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

This should be done as part of the 4 wheel alignment, the should have locked the steering in dead centre position before commencing the alignment.

Try swapping back tyres with fronts and see if that changes helps.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Alignment figures all look good

12. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah, that was done. I was even shown the steering wheel at dead centre before alignment.

I'll get some further work this week, incl wheel swap and let you guys know.

Thanks.

13. billycrv Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

14. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So, I finally decided to use the holiday time to investigate this fully, and done some more poking and prodding, and I found it.

For the shock assembly on the right hand side of the car, I pulled noticed the shock dust cover when the suspension was unloaded wasn't right, I pulled at it and it came off in my hand! Bits of it were missing, so I started to investigate more, and I uploaded a video of my findings here:

(I'm not a video editing person :Smile: )

In summary, I stripped out the shock assembly, removed the unwanted bits, re-aligned the top mount, re-greased everything, re-assembled the shock and after the test drive everything is much better! I think this was the original 2007 CR-V shock mount issue/defect as it's all OEM equipment. I found some other posts where the owners had said the dealer "just replaced" the right shock.

Anyhow, a new bump stop and dust boot has been ordered, but won't be here for a few days, when it arrives, I'll re-strip the shock and install the covers. I'm just happy to get it sorted. I'm still not sure, how the previous owner and Honda garage though all was ok....

15. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Good job getting to the bottom of that problem, well spotted.

Previous owner/mechanics obviously weren't as eagle eyed :Smile:

jayok likes this.
  16. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    eagle eye :Thumbup:

17. Halligat New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Honda Bristol
    Hi Guys

Never used a forum before so please bear with me (note: my knowledge of cars is verrrrry minimal !!!)

I recently (2 months ago) purchased a CR-V ES 2007 (57 Plate), Petrol, 2.0, 81,000miles. The car has been serviced by Honda.

I've been reading a post ' Wandering Steering ' and I believe I have the same issue. Driving down a straight road and using the '12hr' clock as an example 06.30 should be straight......when driving down a straight road the ' H ' for Honda is more 06.35 ish.

Jayok mentioned a trip on the motorrway being exhausting, just this weekend I experienced the same feeling....correcting the line of travel and not able to relax.

What should be my next step?, and should I go back to the garage who sold me the car (I didn't take out any extended warranties).
    Many thanks
    Tony
    SUSPENSION, STEERING AND BRAKESWandering Steering

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by jayok, Wednesday 12th Dec, 2018

18. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Tony,

It's s pretty hard one to nail. Consider that the car I purchased had it's NCT (equivalent to an MOT) and all suspension tests, etc were fine. It was only through my digging, I found it. There appears to be some recall for the front drive side shock from Honda back then - though I never did find the TSB or similar. Once hear-say.

As for the dealer, technically, there is nothing "wrong" with the car, it's not dangerous, just not very comfortable on the drive. Your success with the dealer will depend on your relationship/support with him/her.

However, it's not something simple just just a Wheel Alignment?

Now as an update to the above original post, the car is still pulling slightly to the left (but not twitchy). But it went through the NCT (MOT) ok, one interesting figure was that on the front the side-slip was 0m/km (i.e. zero metres per one kilometer - that is straight), but the rear was -10m / km. Both were aligned, so I inspected the rear shocks and the driver-side has signs of rubbing. I've new shocks to go in(the original have 60k miles and won't hurt) - I'm travelling with work and need some time to address this

19. Halligat New Member Getting Started

Thanks Jayok,
    I've got the car booked in to check its alignment and I'm also going to get the 4 wheel laser alignment check carried out, will update post with finidings.

thanks again
    Tony

20. Halligat New Member Getting Started

Guys
    Sorry for delay, got wheel alignment done and steering much better now...see attachment....thanks again for a your help

20190310_190641.

Last edited by a moderator: Tuesday 12th Mar, 2019
    Matt at H-Tune and honda_saj like this.