Electrical & Lights VSA Switch Question.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by LostBoke, Tuesday 27th Nov, 2018.

1. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Hi. The VSA light is on and my local garage reader says 'no faults'. So, silly question, does the VSA switch make a 'clicking' noise when operated? Mine just goes in and out without seeming to do anything, not feeling like it's connecting, so it may be permanently 'off'. If it should 'click' and is defunct, how do I remove it?

Thanks for any help

LB

2. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    A standard diagnostic tool will not read the VSA codes, you need an advanced Diagnostic tool like a Snap On Solus or Honda HDS.

There is a way of getting the code by using a wire across certain pins on the OBD port and then reading how many times an light flashes.

Have a search of the forum you should find the instructions.

The switch does not "latch" or click, it comes back out.

honda_saj likes this.
  3. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Thanks for that.
    The garage used a SnapOn reader. I think I'm just clucthing at straws, hoping it's something simple. I've read the 9-4 paper clip thing and will give that a go. If not *Shudder* it may need a trip to a main deaker.

4. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Just a quick update. I finally got around to trying the paper clip cure - and it worked! So THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all you knowledgeable people, I'm almost starting to miss the triangle/VSA warning lights. Happy New Year yo you all.

5. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What was the problem?

6. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    most likely just been reset i prefer using honda HDS as you can see error and calibrate VSA

7. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    I only needed the second part of the paper clip procedure, just pressing the VSA button after the light went out. Easy, my sort of job :Smile:

BTW, it's probably just me but I don't like the idea of some computer deciding what power goes to my wheels, I'm the driver, I am the one who decides what power I want to apply for the situation I'm in.

Regards

LB

8. moranb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Brian Dundalk
    Hi LostBoke, any chance you could direct me to the thread on the paper clip surgery? This sounds a lot like an issue i have chosen to ignore for over a year now
    ta

9. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

https://h-tune.co.uk/club/guides/2003-2008-abs-fault-reading-without-a-scan-tool.1907/

Once you've read the codes make a note and then delete them. Fault codes are permanently stored until actively deleted, so you may get quite a few that relate to historic faults and NOT the current problem! Then see which ones come back and therefore directly relate to the current problem.

To delete stored codes:-
    Jump pins 4 and 9 using the paperclip

Press and hold the brake pedal and switch on the ignition

Wait for the ABS light to turn off and then remove your foot from the brake pedal

Wait for the ABS light to turn on, then press and hold the brake pedal again

ABS light should turn off, then remove your foot from the brake pedal

Wait for two flashes of ABS light. If it flashes it means that errors are erased

Check the errors (with the pins jumped) - just turn the ignition on, if ABS light does not flash, no errors are in memory.

Last edited: Monday 7th Jan, 2019
    DrSam, honda_saj and moranb like this.
  10. moranb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Brian Dundalk
    thanks Zebster for the swift reply, ill add it to my list of jobs on the car :Smile:

Zebster likes this.
  11. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

well done zebster as i have HDS him never needed to do paperclip way :clap:

12. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    I never knew that, where were you when i needed you lol
    Thank you @Zebster

honda_saj likes this.
  13. mw88 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Same process can also be used if you just have the VSA + /!\ lights on (VSA Position neutral memorisation or something along those lines!)

You need to do the above first, and don't touch the brake pedal for the below.

Turn on the ignition with the pins jumped
    The ABS Light will come on, once it goes off, press the VSA Off button quickly
    The light will come back on shortly after, as soon as it does press the VSA button agian quickly
    VSA Light should then blink once it's been reset

14. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just to add on HDS it mentions vehicle to be level and wheels straight when perfoming calibration.
    Not sure if this is crucial however i have always done this way.

15. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    There is a YAW sensor involved and a steering wheel sensor I would imagine too, so yes, defo make sure this is the case when carrying out the reset/VSA Neutral position memorisation.

honda_saj likes this.
  16. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Hi Moramb,
    Sorry for the delay in replying, but I see you've been well taken care of by the very helpful members of this forum.
    The instructions they have supplied are the same as the ones I used and, up to now, seem to be working fine. The car drives, steers and brakes perfectly, so whatever the magic behind the paperclip, I'm more than happy with it.
    Regards

LB

honda_saj likes this.