Valve guide questions

Discussion in 'Honda B-Series' started by markcivic1981, Sunday 6th Jan, 2019.

1. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi all.

I'm looking into replacing the valve guides in my B16a head. Its track only and apart for a refresh, so now is the best time to do so. I have a couple of questions regarding the guides....

1. Has anyone got any suggestions about which to go for ? My options appear to be OEM Honda, aftermarket Ferrea or Supertech. If anyone has any feedback on any of those I'd like to hear it. Opinions backed up with actual experience would be great.

2. As the engine is used only on track and is in high cam revs most of its life, would there be any benefit in putting a taper on the guides to aid airflow ? Its something we can do and on paper it should help a little, but has anyone done it before ?

I should point out the head will have a port, polish, 3 angle cut, and deshroud. I already have all the valve train to support any modifications.

Thanks !

2. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

IntOffset. Here is a photo of the guides with a taper for anyone interested. Its a head built in America by Endyn.

SpeedyGee and honda_saj like this.
  3. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    They look funky, interesting concept, I assume the taper would have to be done by machining the new guides before installing?

markcivic1981 likes this.
  4. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah that's correct. I'm currently finding out about them as much as I can. I can't find any actual measurements as of yet. I assume theyre a closely guarded secret or theyre customised to each job. It appears the intakes are shortened and the exhausts are left full length. I need to find out about installing the new ones. There are videos of people knocking them in with a drift and hammer,but I've read about heating the head and freezing the guides to fit them. The expansion of differing heated metals must be the clue. More research needed ! ….

honda_saj likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Choices, choices!! LOL

Keep us posted on what you conclude with your research and which option you go with.

honda_saj likes this.
  6. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    New knowledge always interesting :Smile:

7. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    I have personally used Ferrea valve guides but they were in a ZX7R race bike. I'm sure their quality is good throughout their range. We didn't have any problems with them they were fit and forget. The engine took some hammer too.

honda_saj likes this.
  8. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    Looks like there will be some trial and error keep us posted on how you get on, don't think anyone has done what you are attempting.

9. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi all. Sorry for the long delay in updating the thread. I'm still cleaning up the head, bit by bit. I never seem to find the time. Any way, I went for a set of Ferrea guides from H-Tune. I down loaded some photos of the tapered guides from the Endyn builds in America and made a scale diagram to the measurements of my new guides. With the scaled measurements we were then able to turn a taper onto the new guides with dads lathe. I'll have to take some photos of the new guides compared to the old ones when I take them out.
    The head is slowly getting done. The ports are matched to both manifolds and I'm doing some work in the short radius area and basically just cleaning up the rough casting marks from the factory. I'll put some photos of that on here at some point, but it could be weeks and weeks away !

honda_saj and SpeedyGee like this.
  10. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Thanks for the update, look forward to the next one with some pics :Thumbup:

11. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Evening all,

Hopefully there should be some photos of what we have been up to. A side by side comparison of the old guides and the ones we have machined a new profile onto. The old ones are now all out and the new ones ready to be fitted. I'm still working on the port and polish / tidy up at the moment, so it will be a while before they get fitted. I plan to have a professional fit them and recut the seats at the same time.

upload_2019-3-25_21-16-56.

upload_2019-3-25_21-17-22.

12. deviator Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lovely work. Please keep us updated.

13. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thankyou. I will try to find my old build thread on here and add this information to it. Theres a lot more to come !

14. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

15. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

16. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Please do! It would be good to follow along.