Valve guide questions

Discussion in 'Honda B-Series' started by markcivic1981, Sunday 6th Jan, 2019.

1. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi all.

I'm looking into replacing the valve guides in my B16a head. Its track only and apart for a refresh, so now is the best time to do so. I have a couple of questions regarding the guides....

1. Has anyone got any suggestions about which to go for ? My options appear to be OEM Honda, aftermarket Ferrea or Supertech. If anyone has any feedback on any of those I'd like to hear it. Opinions backed up with actual experience would be great.

2. As the engine is used only on track and is in high cam revs most of its life, would there be any benefit in putting a taper on the guides to aid airflow ? Its something we can do and on paper it should help a little, but has anyone done it before ?

I should point out the head will have a port, polish, 3 angle cut, and deshroud. I already have all the valve train to support any modifications.

Thanks !

2. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

IntOffset. Here is a photo of the guides with a taper for anyone interested. Its a head built in America by Endyn.

SpeedyGee and honda_saj like this.
  3. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    They look funky, interesting concept, I assume the taper would have to be done by machining the new guides before installing?

markcivic1981 likes this.
  4. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah that's correct. I'm currently finding out about them as much as I can. I can't find any actual measurements as of yet. I assume theyre a closely guarded secret or theyre customised to each job. It appears the intakes are shortened and the exhausts are left full length. I need to find out about installing the new ones. There are videos of people knocking them in with a drift and hammer,but I've read about heating the head and freezing the guides to fit them. The expansion of differing heated metals must be the clue. More research needed ! ….

honda_saj likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Choices, choices!! LOL

Keep us posted on what you conclude with your research and which option you go with.

honda_saj likes this.
  6. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    New knowledge always interesting :Smile: