Upgraded brakes

Discussion in '5th Generation (1992-1995)' started by bobby_b89, Saturday 14th Nov, 2009.

1. bobby_b89 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello, i want to upgrade the pads and disks on my EG ESi, I don't want to get bigger disks as i dout they will fit in my wheels. Does anyone know of a good set to buy that would replace my standard ones? Much appreciated cheers.

2. Gunter Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

what have you got 262's with 15" alloys?

3. Bon Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

OEM Honda Discs & Ferodo DS2500 seems like a good combo when I was researching for better brakes....

Discs are about 45 each, pads are around 90

4. PittStop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

get meisterR big brake convo

5. Bon Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah or that, which I would of liked to try myself, but as said before its a shame they don't do the Integra fitment....

6. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

The MeisterR 286mm BigDisk Upgrade will fit in most 15" wheels. What size wheels are you running?

There is a special running right now for the Brake Kit: http://www.civiclife.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56516

CivicBrakes.

Install4.

This upgrade is a bolt on for EG ESi as seen on MTV Slips. :Grin:

http://www.civiclife.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58746

I am working on it Bon. Doing my best and I can't say for sure if I can make anything out of it.

But I am trying to see if I can somehow "adapt" the kit to fit the 96 Teg. :Smile:

7. Kadir Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was going to mention MeisterR but they have posted up.. So sorted! :Smile:

8. Performancetek Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

tried and tested 282mm conversion with Prelude/ITR etc calipers, better than the above kit IMO as the caliper fist is replaced with a larger one (no extra force is applied on the discs with the meister r conversion).

282's fit inside most 15s, and a set of calipers/carriers, new discs and decent pads will set you back under 200.

9. captain_sl0w Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

a front 282mm disc and caliper conversion would be an excellent breaking upgrade - and not that expensive, it depends. Id also upgrade the BMC to a VTi/SiR or Type-R one

10. EK4-JDM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

On ek4 what do u need to go ITR/Prelude calipers and 282 discs?

11. Performancetek Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

282mm discs, relevant calipers, and pads to go with the calipers.

12. EK4-JDM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Do the calipers bolt straight on or do u need carriers from ITR/Prelude?

13. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

Well, since you bring this up and it actually had been ask a few times already; I might as well ask too.

I would like to know how much more force does the Prelude/ITR calipers gives when compared to the standard Vti calipers?

I haven't check that out myself but since you have the Prelude caliper, if you can let us know the diameter of the piston, we should be able to calculate the surface area and figure out the brake torque from that.

Also, I think it is quite unfair to compare the "new discs" to the MeisterR Brake Disk.

What is the specification of the "new discs" and "decent pads"? Is it OEM Honda Parts or Performance Aftermarket Parts?

MeisterR BigDisk kit use FCV Alloy.

The FCV Alloy is a brake specific alloy and it is the same type of material use in the MeisterR 6-Pistons Forged Caliper Brake Kit. It is able to handle up to 900C of temperature (not that you will ever use that much).

MeisterR BigDisk kit use "Pillar Vane" disk.

This is a different style of vane (the bit between 2 surface of the disk) and generally used by high end OEM brake system (Brembo use pillar vane disk on EVO, WRX Sti, GTR). This type of vane cools faster and makes a stronger structure than the commonly used and cheaper to produce "Straight Vane" found on most disk. The surface are also slotted to clean brake pad and increase the coefficient of friction during operation, and the disk are heat treated to reduce chances of warping.

MeisterR MX550 Brake Pad are GG rated pad (SAE Test J661a) and have working temperature of 50C - 550C.

This is a specially designed compound for fast road usage and it isn't the normal brake pad you find in motor factor.

MeisterR Caliper Bracket is designed for the brake kit.

Using a brand new cast out of a mold and that means the brake kit will fit the car perfect every time. No modding or grinding required.

One of the reason new calipers were needed for the brake upgrade was that it was the only way to fit the 282mm disk.

With the new caliper bracket from the MeisterR BigDisk Brake upgrade, it made the need for the new caliper obsolete.

All these design and quality are in one complete bolt on kit for

14. sean_EJ2 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

well im stuck what to do, I've got import teg hubs 4x114 262 atm with uprated discs and pads, but i have a MB6 hubconversion i could use, but need obviosly new discs and pads (uprated) but thats going to cost 200 quid, so for 250 is it worth buying your setup and keep my teg calipers and selling the hub conversion? how do these compare to some uprated 282's?

15. Performancetek Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

To be honest, I rate OEM parts over non branded parts, but its each to their own. From memory the diameter of the piston in the larger caliper is around 5mm larger....increasing the discs size 20odd mm won't have much of an effect, couple it with a larger piston then it will be worthwhile. All IMO and from experience.

16. pickles2010 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I've got 282 upgrade works a treat just need new discs and pads :Frown: worn them out

17. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You've got to remember with brakes that at the end of the day your stopping a small car, they aren't particularly heavy either. Obviously it's nice to have better brakes but like Gerry said the 282's do the job perfectly well so why go overkill and spend a money if it isn't necessary?

I not knocking meister r's parts either, but OEM works and is tested day in day out on millions of cars worldwide!

18. pickles2010 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i must admit my 282s if not careful will lock up really easy but do the job i need allthought 286 anit gunna make that much diffrent as using standard caliper

19. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

I am trying to do something for the 4x114 hub, but that is in development so it isn't something I have to offer right now.

I know Bon want to try a set on this 96 Teg, but until I have a kit that is bolt on and I am happy with, I won't be offering them.

By no mean am I saying that the OEM 282mm brake kit does not do the job.

I think it does its job great and it is adequate brake upgrade.

But if you decide to take your car on a odd track day, OEM parts are not adequate and you will need uprated parts (brake pads for example).

MeisterR BigDisk kit are build with much higher specification and material than OEM parts, therefore I think it is unfair to compare it to OEM parts.

A "decent" set of fast road pads and slotted disk not including the caliper will easily set you back around

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 15th Nov, 2009
  20. PittStop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆