Suspension, Steering and Brakes Unavailable brake master cylinder

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by neesbro, Friday 6th Sep, 2019.

1. neesbro New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom neesbro Woodbridge
    Hi,
    Can anyone please help!
    I have a 2006 CR-V II 2.2 CTDi & am looking for a replacement brake master cylinder. The parts diagram on the Honda website shows 2 part numbers for my VIN so spoke to 3 different Honda parts departments for clarification. All agree on part number 46100-SKN-E21 but advise the the part is no longer available. It also appears to be unavailable from pattern part suppliers. One of the Honda dealers said my only option would be to source a used one from a breaker - not an option I would like to exercise but have looked internationally anyway but no success
    Seems crazy, no replacement parts for a 13 year old car. I expected better of Honda!
    I'm sure someone else would have had the same problem, can anyone help?
    Thanks,
    neesbro

2. cat-guy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cat-guy United Kingdom
    Do Honda offer a repair kit to service your own master cylinder

3. neesbro New Member Getting Started

Thanks for your response, am currently looking at sourcing the individual repair parts. Also found a complete unit from Germany priced at 507 euros. Won't be going that route!

4. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

Is the same part used on other models with the 2.2 CDTi (or other engines). It's very common for the same parts to be used across multiple models/ranges.

I don't really see a problem with getting a used one from a breaker, and replacing the seals.. even cleaning it up and giving it a lick of rust prevention paint.

5. jd1959 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    This company seems to have a spurious one {HANGZHOU JIEPEI AUTOMOBILE PARTS CO.,LTD} no idea about them but might be worth an email, you could look into rebuilding as well the pistons and seals seem to be available from a quick search.

6. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
  7. neesbro New Member Getting Started

Many thanks for all the suggestions. My local garage checked the system out & couldn't see any leaks etc, System was then flushed & refilled with fresh brake fluid. All seems fine now so hopefully problem resolved

jd1959 likes this.
  8. Mr Honda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Dublin
    What was the initial diagnosis, I mean, to go from needing an expensive fix to a basic flush seems strange??

9. neesbro New Member Getting Started

Yes it is odd!
    Initial problem was sudden extra pre-travel on the pedal but brakes still worked albeit lower down the pedal. Initial diagnosis was possible faulty master cylinder or ABS module but problem had gone by that time. I used car with caution for a couple of weeks & apart from some sponginess brakes worked fine. Now filled with fresh fluid, brakes are excellent!
    Don't you just hate intermittent faults!

10. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

If fluid has fixed it then the fluid was contaminated... either with water or air... both of which are far more compressible than brake fluid. Flushing out the contamination has restored the brakes to normal operation.

You should check all fluid levels every month, oil and water every week the rest monthly. The brake fluid should have a slightly golden look to it, if it darkens or goes greenish. it's contaminated of really old... and needs to be replaced.

11. neesbro New Member Getting Started

Many thanks, will keep a better watch especially in the short-term