General UKDM EP3 vs JDM EP3

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by ID-Workz, Thursday 3rd Dec, 2009.

1. ID-Workz Commercial Services Trader

Hey guys,

Looking to buy a Civic EP3 on a budget of around

2. ryanthetriad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have you considered insurance? JDM is a higher group insurance. 20bhp extra with the LSD is worth considering instead of a UKDM. They didn't make a facelift JDM, all of them are 2002. Only difference to UKDM facelift is the front splitter/grille, maybe rear lights too and the colour white, LSD, full red recaro interior, cams etc. JDM spec also has facelift flywheel, cams, 4-2-1 exhaust manifold as the UKDM is 4-1 manifold.

3. Andy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They did make a facelift JDM, there's just been no model report available to get them into the country up until very recently. Was one for sale on pistonheads/ebay a month or so ago :Smile:

They come with the red and black Recaro's like the ones in the Premier models.

4. kahn_v Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

insurance wouldn't be a problem....

get the premier edition Type-R!

well worth it than the JDM spec,

5. TDi North Commercial Services Trader

I agree, but champ white paint and the LSD does make me sway to the JDM car...

6. CivicTypeReplica Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

JDM is a far better car.

Tbh I'm not keen on the extra spec like ac and xenon and big seats etc, because it's all stuff i'd remove anyway, hence I enjoy the JDM lightweight, the milano, which has all the stuff you want and non of what you don't.

The big question is whether it's worth the extra cost. Basically you can easily make a uk car perform as well as the JDM car, for around the same sort of money as the JDM would cost anyway.

However, you've got White paint and a k20a, and an LSD if you're not planning on a quaife or plated.

THE MAIN ARGUMENT for me is that I could live with a JDM EP3 in stock form as they are very lively and have plenty of potential, whereas the uk car needs mods before you will be satisfied.

Best option is a modded JDM obviously... :Grin:

7. a2k00 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

For that cash id get a 2001 DC5 Anyday over a JDM EP3

8. ryanthetriad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

You know some Premier edition owners have been known to spray their car championship white and sell them as JDM. Beware, I seriously have not seen a facelift JDM. They stoppped making them after 02, as DC5's were the main market in Japan/Asia area.

9. ryanthetriad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

EP3 JDM is expensive, but both great cars IMO

10. Andy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've seen pics of facelift's in peoples Japan holiday snaps, pretty sure they didn't get Premier's over there lol

11. ryanthetriad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Point proven, i'll accept that lol.

12. likekites Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

a JDM will pull on a UKDM in every gear

13. a2k00 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Erm not sure what you point was there? They are similar price and both awesome, Both these points i pointed out, lol

14. ryanthetriad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My opinion is JDM EP3 is expensive, i wanted to buy one a year ago, but got a facelift 04 A.C leather seats instead. DC5 and EP3 are great cars. That's what I was on about!!!!

15. ID-Workz Commercial Services Trader

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Well I am coming from a 219bhp Glanza so I'm probably gonna tune the Civic to some extent, just hoping I don't get bored of it after owning Turbo cars.

It's between a White JDM 03 model (latest) or a Cosmic Grey Facelift Premier on maybe an 06 plate. I'd pay to have a LSD fitted to the UK Spec, but JDM material is more rare and is....just JDM, lol!

16. TDi North Commercial Services Trader

If your looking for some mods for it I would go down this route:-

Hondata K-100 or k-pro ECU tuned by TDI-North ( www.tdi-north.com )

K-100 is the cheaper, same end results as the k-pro but without the options like datalogging etc

AEM or GruppeM air intake

RBC intake manifold

A good header, depending on budget from a DC sports, or up to a TODA or LBR :Wink:

At least a 2.75'' exhaust, 3.0'' for the best gains

This little lot will have you rolling around with +/- 250hp (give or take a few), and you havent even opened up the engine! 100% reliable mods, and less than 2k spent :Smile:

17. Dan2020civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

All that for less than 2k?? I'll buy it off you!! :Wink:

Got a quote from TDI North:

Toda exh manifold incl fitting and vat is

18. ID-Workz Commercial Services Trader

19. iceman Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

try and drive both, I've only driven uk EP3 and clear what items its lacking (are downsides in "those improvments" in certain areas though)

20. ID-Workz Commercial Services Trader

My brother has a UK EP3, took it for a nice drive and I do like it. I don't know anyone with the JDM Version but I will start viewing them when I've got all the $$ together.