General UK Release Date for 5th Generation?

Discussion in '5th Generation (2017-)' started by Lone Star, Sunday 3rd Sep, 2017.

1. Lone Star Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was in a local Honda dealership yesterday (not my usual one) and got chatting to one of the sales staff. I mentioned that I would probably be trading -in my 2013 CR-V when the 5th Generation is introduced, and was somewhat surprised when he told me that his dealership did not expect to have any in the showroom until October 2018.

My usual dealership have been telling me it should be available early in 2018, and I'm really not keen on waiting for more than another year. Does anyone have any reliable information?

2. TheDarkKnight Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

5th Generation Hybrid CR-V will preview the European car at the motor show later this month in Frankfurt.

Will be eerily similar to the US version.

That said, looks like it will ship early part of 2018 if I am not mistaken. Of course, timings could well slide or speed up. Nothing is set in stone.

Personally I am extremely disappointed in the 5th Generation CR-V. Not enough step change in the car over the 4th Generation, unless you consider the self-opening boot a must have feature on the top end models. Having experienced the 5th Generation car in the US, its a nice drive, but I found the interior/dash a major let down with a lot iffy plastics - it was like being in a Mazda.... Definitely built and screwed together well, but I won't be swapping.

In fact, the new 10th Generation Civic looks far more appealing and I may even downsize...

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    Interior quality on the latest Civic that I looked at today was under whelming. In fact, not as good as the latest Mazdas. Honda is well short in so many areas at the moment it is depressing...

4. TheDarkKnight Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Wait till you see/feel/experience the 5th Generation CR-V, then it'll become apparent why I am critical of it.

It just does nothing for me. At all.

Definitely see myself looking at a second Gen Lexus NX (hybrid) when that arrives late 2018/2019). Otherwise, I'll run the 4th Genner into the ground and start walking!

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm test driving a Lexus NX300h on Thursday. Just saying...:Whistle:

6. AccordCU2 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Brum
    I was curious about next CR-V and while browsing came across Mazda CX9.
    Really like the look of it and 2.5 turbo charged petrol sound perfect.

Downside most likely it will never come to UK,shame.

2.5 turbo petrol Sky Active
    2018-Mazda-CX-9. 224642.

FirstHonda likes this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Mazda don't currently offer any of their SUVs in a petrol/auto/4WD combination. As much as I quite like their products, the lack of that combination makes them - for me - like a broken pencil. Pointless.

Shame, but there it is. I'll probably end up with another CR-V petrol/auto in the end. It's the best solution for my needs - great to drive, well made, good spec, affordable. Still going to drive the Lexus and Subaru this week, but the offers for a new CR-V EX look too good to turn down. We'll see...

8. Benjie Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Liverpool
    I think Honda have shot themselves in the foot. There will not be a diesel option when the new CR-V is launched.
    As a caravanner I shall have to look for a make other than Honda - as will lots of other caravanners.

9. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Reading
    Once manufacturers are forced to publish MPG and emissions figures that reflect real world driving, I expect many current engine variants will be phased out "as part of our ongoing product development". No doubt Honda will be in the mix, given the real world performance of my 1.6 I-DTEC Auto; 39mpg & 193g/km CO2 vs 53mpg & 139g/km CO2 as published. The NOx figures must be similarly at odds.

10. TheDarkKnight Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mods, please merge here: this is in the wrong forum (again).

https://h-tune.co.uk/club/threads/uk-release-date-for-5th-generation.184340/

DIesel is done for. Honda's move is the right one. People berated Lexus for not having diesel and now they look like the smart leaders where the likes of Honda now follow.

I'm sure the 2ltr hybrid will be enough for towing needs. But I just find it spectacularly stupid of Honda not to make the 190bp/1.5ltr engine the hybrid model too.

Last edited: Friday 8th Sep, 2017
    FirstHonda, Ichiban and Mugen_fd2 like this.
  11. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

Thanks for spotting and letting us know. :Thumbup:

12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Speaking to a Honda dealer this week, he said he 'couldn't sell a diesel for love nor money.'

I agree with @TheDarkKnight - diesel is done. If that drives some caravans off the road, then I won't mind personally :Grin: although to be serious I'm sure hybrids will step up to meet the demand for towing capability.

Honda - like many other manufacturers - will be regretting the wholesale drive to diesel of the past few years, especially where hybrid tech was sidelined. Lexus must be laughing their socks off!

13. TheDarkKnight Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Honda only invested in diesel power because everyone else did.

Indeed, some of the inane German car makers are STILL pushing diesel today. Honda may be awake a little late to the party for hybrid, but I am genuinely flummoxed as to why the hell it won't hybridise the 1,5ltr turbo engine.

That said, I'm more than happy to run the 4th Generation I have into the ground. But as of right now, if and when I do have to change, Lexus looks like the first dibs.

On a side note that Mazda interior above is f-ing hideous, tacky and generall craptacular. Much like every Mazda from the ground up.

14. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Greece Panos Nicosia
    My main disappointment with AWD CR-V 5th Generation is CVT (also looks but that is not the main) . Will not upgrade even though it makes more sense to me, from my past experience with Honda, if I did to get a different brand due to the following: The second is Cyprus GPS support same as 4th Generation, as a reminder of my dislike of Honda ownership and dislike of no GPS customer service. I will never forget that Honda has not supported me in this respect, 2017 still no maps of Cyprus. Why did I pay for a GPS navigation system?? Yeap I feel the same as you do when you read my comments. No apology no solution, no reimbursement and most importantly no satisfaction. Power of dreams in flesh.

Last edited: Saturday 9th Sep, 2017
  15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I am actively seeking out a CVT automatic for my next car as I prefer them to drive. I will always avoid the DSG gearboxes as I hate them with a passion - unreliable and awful to drive with the constant hunting for a gear (the VAG version anyway). The motoring press have a lot to answer for with their inaccurate brainwashing against CVT and in favour of DSG.

I read that Range Rover are looking to CVT for future models as the off-road performance with petrol and hybrid models can be almost on a par with diesel...and as they are well behind in that area, I guess they are looking for quick solutions now that diesel is a dead duck.

andy83 likes this.
  16. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Greece Panos Nicosia
    At least DSG firmware started from 4 and reached 11 until they get it right, and done few transmission external pipeline changes with filters and size before they arrived to perfection (from year 2011). I know because my 2009 Q5 now has 10 and I am updating to 11 and I have the old External trans. pipelines with unserviceable external filter ( it also has internal filter) which I am also upgrading to new pipelines (year 2011) with serviceable external filter which Audi has revised in later years (does Honda offer trans. external filter)?. Also my quattro (AWD) is permanent 40/60 but that can vary if needed. I think you are comparing uneven technologies since DSG or S-tronic if you like has 550 Nm capability. How much torque can Honda CVT handle ?? This figure is important for AWD performance. It can also carry a 2000Kg trailer.

I can also talk also about better firmware support (adding features) in later models which previous owners can also enjoy if they update, but can also enjoy later technologies by retrofits (one might change control module from later years such as gateway). Audi offers this compatibility to retrofit new technologies. The most important is retrofit support by big companies like kufatec and k-electronics. Not to mention service manuals that audi offer to customers to download + electrical diagrams + body repair manuals + some other+VCDs diagnostic coding capability which is the best program to enable features and retrofits.

17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I don't care about torque. I care that the VAG DSG gearbox is awful to use and unreliable. Just in my family we've had three replaced in just two cars - one VW and one Audi (twice). That's unacceptable, and the media should be shining a light on it rather than encouraging others to buy a poor quality product.

Reading your posts I'm more and more surprised you still own a Honda. You don't seem to like the car or the manufacturer. I'm sure Audi would be pleased of another mug to sell overpriced rubbish to...

18. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Greece Panos Nicosia
    because you did not compare current to newer MY diagrams and you did not read audi service bulletins. Audi does not inform customers about what they need to do. You need to do your own research (geman mentality).

The other comment I will bypass because as I said we are comparing unever technologies and uneven customer support.

19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

i have no idea what you are talking about, but it seems to be incomprehensible so I'll ignore it.

20. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Greece Panos Nicosia
    ETKA and ERWIN were you can get electronic diagrams and service bulletins and maintenance manuals for your research.

The culprit for the transmission problem was the unserviceable external filter. There is a service bulletin (TPI).

Last edited: Sunday 10th Sep, 2017