Brochures & Promo UK 2017 Civic?

Discussion in '10th Generation (2016)' started by sc489, Tuesday 24th May, 2016.

1. legend-ary Community Staff Club H-Tune

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    The upcoming hatchback will be a big hatch like Mazda 3 and not like the current Civic. For some reason I think 22% is a small number but if the saloon is offered it might actually give an alternative to people itching for a new Accord.

Mind you the boot opening for saloon is pretty poor as it looks like a fastback yet only the bootlid opens.

BB Baboonface likes this.
  2. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    22% sales on the saloon shape is pretty darn good in a market that massively favors hatchbacks in this segment. Honda really need to offer a saloon in their range and the Civic could do that, it must be at least 3 series sized now with the increase in size of the new Civic?

3. BB Baboonface Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Nail on the head there. If the sale of the Accord is being discontinued on our shores they need to fill the gap in the market.

exec likes this.
  4. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Cliff County Durham
    No doubt they did their market research before making their decision.

If you feel strongly about it why not import.

5. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    Going by how HUK are run they probably didn't do any market research at all, hence why hardly anyone buys Honda these days which such a poor product range and their market share keeps shrinking day by day.

6. FirstHonda H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    Let's just hope that the Civic gets a good reception from the media when launched - but as it isn't a Golf, I doubt that will happen.

As we've said before, marketing wise Honda need to make the best of what they have, but for some reason they don't.

Current Hondas have certain strengths,

- Practical - especially those with magic seats
    - Easy to drive
    - Supremely reliable
    - Made in Britain (CR-V and Civic anyway)
    - Strong residual values
    - Excellent standard equipment and therefore value for money

They aren't the most exciting. They probably aren't the best to drive. They don't have a 'prestige' badge. But they do have clear qualities that appeal to sensible people. IMHO there needs to be more advertising to reflect where the brand is now, and encourage current VW/Skoda/Ford/Vauxhall owners to switch, or at least to try the range.

jazzway and BB Baboonface like this.
  7. BB Baboonface Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Marketing the Civic coupe and saloon over here would surely broaden the appeal.
    Sorry if i missed it, is there direct confirmation that they only intend to sell the hatch in the UK?

exec likes this.
  8. BB Baboonface Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

exec likes this.
  9. legend-ary Community Staff Club H-Tune

Sedan is available for Asian markets and has been a great success so the RHD parts are there, shouldn't be too difficult

exec and BB Baboonface like this.
  10. BB Baboonface Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Agreed, at least they are not as blinkered as some manufacturers who seem to design a LHD model and then shoddily extend steering and pedal linkages etc. Some German designed models in the past appeared to be made this way, also some older US exports to Australian markets.
    The rumours of a touring model sound interesting too.
    Doubt it will happen but a Type-R option in more than one of the body styles would be epic, but i guess they might see that as diluting the essence of the R brand.

Maybe controversial here, but reckon the point has been more than proved with FWD too, as above, some NSX style SH-AWD action could be a nice addition rather than trying to scrape a few tenths off Nordschleife times with pure FWD.

exec likes this.
  11. legend-ary Community Staff Club H-Tune

I can't see that happening anytime soon...atleast not under Type-R badge. Maybe Type-S or something as Type-R was always about race car for road mantra so minimum weight, tuned suspension and slightly massaged engine.. well that was the case until the new one came out with a maniac engine. Still it weighs 170kg LESS than the Ford Focus RS and 100kg less than Golf R which is why everyone praises the immediacy of direction changes. AWD will add a lot of weight and costs.. we already at £30k for FWD and there is nothing in between £20K 1.8 (entry price) and the £30K Type-R so maybe a mild Type-S with 240bhp and £25k would broaden the appeal of the Civic better than an even lower volume £35K maniac ...

Obviously just trying to guess what will happen so might be completely off :Grin:

12. BB Baboonface Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think you are close man, maybe turbo torque can offset extra weight in terms of outright acceleration, but handling response is a different matter.

Saying that though, reviews of the new NSX mention the torque vectoring making a pretty heavy car seem much lighter than it is.

13. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    Article says for mainland Europe only, saloons are popular in parts of Europe so makes sense whereas UK like its hatches...

14. BB Baboonface Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Grrr! Oh well, should have read the article in more detail.
    We shall have to see what they offer, and if they decide to add more choice at a later stage. The prototype R model looks pretty decent at least.

15. jazzway Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Marlène Maasgouw
    Year after year the Honda Jazz won the overall satisfaction trophy here in the Netherlands and the Honda Accord was always in the overall top 3.
    Last Sunday we drove through five provinces, 500 kilometer and mostly highway. We counted a total of 2 Honda's (Civic). Honda is making great cars, but they better fire their marketing staff here! :dodgydeal:

exec, FirstHonda and legend-ary like this.
  16. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    Hyundai revealed their new i30 few days ago and on the press release they mentioned how the i30 is going to spawn a whole host of models, crossovers, coupes, estates, performance versions etc. They are going all balls out, I think their market shared is close 5% if I recall correctly, they have grown fast and surpassed Honda. Just shows what a bit of ambition and marketing does.

Hyundai i30 four-door coupe teased?

BB Baboonface, jazzway and FirstHonda like this.
  17. legend-ary Community Staff Club H-Tune

yeah but being a loss leader is not what Honda is aiming for. Hyundai's aspirations are different as they are on a spending spree at the moment to capture sales number. .fleet sales are tops for them.. Honda doesn't do that.

18. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    Fair point, particularly with fleet sales being main point of sale, but Hyundai have become a very valuable brand so are doing well. What I just don't get is Honda's strategy, there not profitable, and have been making losses year on for the last decade, so they are basically in no mans land. In the 90's they had a huge range, at one point they even had four coupes in their range (Accord, Civic, Legend, Prelude), and they were selling like hotcakes. Whats changed?

19. Nighthawk H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

South Africa
    At least Hyundai (which I can't stand) have a goal and are reaching it. Do Honda actually know what they are doing or where they are going though as it appears that they are in the midst of confusion as to what direction to go to win their clientele back and get back to the top again like they used to be. Makes me sad that they are seemingly dropping the ball.

BB Baboonface, FirstHonda and exec like this.
  20. legend-ary Community Staff Club H-Tune

I think we can all see what Hondas goal is. They have tried and failed to gain any ground in UK mainly due to their strategy but also due to market demands.

They have always been about small and medium cars and that's why the big push with Civic X. Hyundai is going the way of Germans with many many overlapping models which increases costs but does show a healthy line up.

Honda doesn't need a Accord to succeed in UK, they need a sub-Jazz car to capture the city traffic and expansion in Jazz line up.

I wait for you to say Civic needs more options, I ask you, how many Tourers do you see compared to hatchbacks?

Even forums in USA all want manual station wagons but everyone who has tried to build one has failed to sell them so it's all saloons and autos. It's another story that saloons are on the decline too in US and crossovers are leading the sales.

Bentley just did their all time best numbers with their ugly abomination of a SUV but as much as purists will hate it that's what bringing the money.

I agree Honda is being very stupid but they don't need a saviour 4 door coupe. They need clever small cars and SUVs and a couple of Civics.

Sub Jazz - Brio or something
    Jazz hatch with more engine options and hybrid plus the Jazz Shuttle maybe.
    Civic - Hatch and Saloon should be enough but with a few engine options.
    S600 would be nice but it will low volume.
    HR-V in good numbers
    CR-V and CR-V+2 which might be coming anyway.

I know we all want a sports car from them but we all know they will sell 20. MX5 sales have dropped ever since the Fiat convertible came out (shares the body but unique engine) as UK chooses heritage and image over reliability and engineering.

BB Baboonface and FirstHonda like this.