General Tyre question

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by FirstHonda, Monday 8th Jul, 2019.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    I have a question for the brains trust that is HK. My little used MINI had her MOT today, and passed with one advisory - a nail in one of the tyres :Frown:.

The tyres are run-flats, so can't be repaired. They were changed two years ago and have done fewer than 500 miles since. Trouble is, Dunlop no longer supply the exact same tyre. I only need to replace one, and I've had different answers from the garages I've asked...so my question is;

- is is better to buy the same tyre (Sport SP01) with a different speed rating (84W instead of 84V), or;
    - buy a different Dunlop tyre with the exact same rating.

I know both answers are legal, and I'm told having a higher speed rating is fine but any advice on what to do for the best appreciated!

2. Matt at H-Tune Service Team H-Tune Staff

Personally, I'd look to replace both of them to be a matched pair-although it'll be a bit of a pig as run-flats are a nightmare to get off.

I'm rather surprised a nail in the tyre is still an advisory.

Of the two options, I'd suggest getting the tread patterns to match. Realistically, how often do you exceed 168mph (W) or 149mph (V)?...

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. Garrydhu Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Billy Dor Carrigaline
    Buy a pair

Matt at H-Tune likes this.
  4. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

If you only buy one, get the same tread pattern. However, having two different tyres will be a real niggle.
    Your Mini deserves better. Therefore, two would be the road to go down.
    Let us know the outcome.

FirstHonda and Matt at H-Tune like this.
  5. Matt at H-Tune Service Team H-Tune Staff

Fantastic pun there, @Nels

Nels likes this.
  6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks both. I'll let you know what I decide. I'm not sure I can justify two tyres when the existing is basically brand new and when I do fewer than 300 miles a year...but yes, a non-match would probably bug me. Hmmm...need to ponder.

Garrydhu likes this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Good news! Dunlop have been able to tell me that the exact tyre I need is still available, just not very popular - hence limited stocking. However, ATS can get one for me, so problem solved...hopefully :Grin:

Garrydhu and Nels like this.
  8. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

That's great. Pleased for you and your Mini.

FirstHonda and Matt at H-Tune like this.