General Tyre question

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by FirstHonda, Monday 8th Jul, 2019.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    I have a question for the brains trust that is HK. My little used MINI had her MOT today, and passed with one advisory - a nail in one of the tyres :Frown:.

The tyres are run-flats, so can't be repaired. They were changed two years ago and have done fewer than 500 miles since. Trouble is, Dunlop no longer supply the exact same tyre. I only need to replace one, and I've had different answers from the garages I've asked...so my question is;

- is is better to buy the same tyre (Sport SP01) with a different speed rating (84W instead of 84V), or;
    - buy a different Dunlop tyre with the exact same rating.

I know both answers are legal, and I'm told having a higher speed rating is fine but any advice on what to do for the best appreciated!

2. MattBeardless Service Team H-Tune Staff

Personally, I'd look to replace both of them to be a matched pair-although it'll be a bit of a pig as run-flats are a nightmare to get off.

I'm rather surprised a nail in the tyre is still an advisory.

Of the two options, I'd suggest getting the tread patterns to match. Realistically, how often do you exceed 168mph (W) or 149mph (V)?...

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. Garrydhu Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Billy Dor Carrigaline
    Buy a pair

MattBeardless likes this.
  4. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

If you only buy one, get the same tread pattern. However, having two different tyres will be a real niggle.
    Your Mini deserves better. Therefore, two would be the road to go down.
    Let us know the outcome.

FirstHonda and MattBeardless like this.
  5. MattBeardless Service Team H-Tune Staff

Fantastic pun there, @Nels

Nels likes this.
  6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks both. I'll let you know what I decide. I'm not sure I can justify two tyres when the existing is basically brand new and when I do fewer than 300 miles a year...but yes, a non-match would probably bug me. Hmmm...need to ponder.

Garrydhu likes this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Good news! Dunlop have been able to tell me that the exact tyre I need is still available, just not very popular - hence limited stocking. However, ATS can get one for me, so problem solved...hopefully :Grin:

Garrydhu and Nels like this.
  8. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

That's great. Pleased for you and your Mini.

FirstHonda and MattBeardless like this.
  9. HondaNinja Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Middlesbrough
    Honestly I'd always try to keep two tyres along the same axle exactly the same. Mismatching speed rating would not be as dire as it would be if you were mismatching load index, however I would try to avoid this and go for a similar tread pattern with all the same ratings at the very LEAST if you decide not to go for a new pair.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Just an update - this still isn't resolved! The matching Dunlop turned out to be old stock and no longer available - why ATS list it on their website when nobody else does is still a mystery when they can't source it. Dunlop have confirmed they discontinued the size/speed rating I need about a year ago and won't be replacing it as it's a little used size...

MINI customer services were helpful. Unfortunately my MINI has rare option wheels, only supplied during 2003/4. Others look the same but aren't - only 364 were sold in the U.K. with the wheels I have! Fifteen years later, many will have been scrapped, which is why Dunlop have discontinued the tyre. Bizarre I know, but it seems it's a metric vs imperial thing. Who knew?

Luckily, after much research it turns out there are (limited) options in Europe, albeit the usual online tyre suppliers can't help ('if it's not listed, we can't get it' being the usual reply). Between MINI and Kwik Fit (yes, really) two Michelins were sourced in Italy and then turned out to be unavailable, before they found two Pirelli PZero tyres in Denmark! These are currently on their way and will be fitted - I hope - on Saturday.

The 'good' tyre will be retained in case I need a replacement for the remaining Dunlop pair on the front axle. MINI have noted that my specification is very unusual, but that there are other wheels with more common tyre sizes that will fit should it ever get to the point that I can't get a tyre at all. Good to know...but surprising that this is such an issue. Both Dunlop and Michelin were very helpful with my search, and note that more tyre sizes than you'd think aren't available for cars between 10-20 years old, which certainly shocked me. Anyway, fingers crossed this is now sorted. I hope...

Heckler likes this.
  11. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

A friend used to have an old early 90's Jag with very odd metric sized wheels/tyres... Finding tyres for that was a pain 17yrs ago without as much info on the web as there is now. Replacing all 4 tyres would have cost something like £600-700. So it was cheaper to find a set of second hand wheels & tyres that fitted. He picked up a set from another Jag for around £250 with at least 4-5mm tread on the tyres... and when replacing those tyres, they only cost about £80 each.

FirstHonda likes this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ MINI customer services suggested I try something similar, or bought a set of NOS wheels with a more 'common' tyre size from a MINI dealer. My issue is the car is totally original and in perfect condition, and I want to retain the originality. For now it's fine, but I may find a set of NOS wheels just in case I need them in the future...

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Tyres now sorted, and I have to give a big :Thumbup:to Kwik-Fit. They not only sourced the tyres (Pirelli in the end) but the price was good and the service - I had them fitted at home - exceptional. I've read bad things about Kwik-Fit but my experience has been superb. And I have my MINI available to drive, which is nice! :Grin: