Tyres & Wheels Tyre and axle question

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by rikernumber1, Tuesday 7th May, 2019.

1. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    Hi All,

Being the good motorist I am, I checked my vehicle over the day before I went on holiday. The N/S rear tyre was a bit low on pressure; I decided to whip it off and check, and sure enough it had something in it. As I had the wheel off, I took it to my local tyre shop in my hobby car and asked them to repair it. They called me later in the day to advise that it couldn't be repaired, so I had them replace it with a tyre they had in stock, as time was short. It's a different brand to the one that was on there previously, and thus is now different to the one that's on the offside rear.

I prefer to replace tyres in pairs, on the same axle; I know some sports car AWD systems can be very fussy about keeping equally worn tyres of the same brand on all four corners, but I know the CR-V operates in FWD mode for about 90% of the time and isn't so fussy. Anyway, I now have two tyres of two different brands on the rear axle; the O/S one still has about 5-10k miles of wear left in it (about 6-12 months) - I'm reluctant to change it for the sake of it. The new tyre on the N/S has already done over 1k miles during our holiday, with no handling or other problems that I could discern.

From a safety perspective, the considerations will be that the two rear wheels now have differing levels of grip and water dispersal. Differing doesn't mean 'bad'; it's not a sports car and my driving style is such that I can live with that on the rear wheels. However, is there a mechanical consideration relating to the AWD system that I should consider? i.e. CR-V wisdom is that you are OK to have different tyres on the front and rear, and if it were the front (mainly driven) wheels I wouldn't even be posting this, but I'm reluctant to throw away a rear tyre with some life left in it (saving the planet one tyre at a time ;-) ) just to keep the same brand on the same axle.

This is the second time in recent memory I've had to have a tyre sorted the day before a holiday - last time it could be repaired though!

Thoughts?

Phillip

2. SteveBurt Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Steve Burt CAMBRIDGE
    Why not make the part-worn tyre the spare and put the spare on the other wheel?

3. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I am aware of any reason, legal or handling wise, why you shouldn't put tyres from different manufacturers on the same axle provided they have similar characteristics and are of the same size in all respects

So far as using the spare is concerned, if the 3rd generation has a similar approach to the spare as the 4th generation (which I have) then this is a definite no no as my spare has a different profile to the the running wheels and is inflated to 60 psi. It is purely designed to get you to a tyre replacement/repair depot at a low speed.
    Keith

4. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    Hi - yes - it's a space saver spare in the 3rd Generation CR-V - and to Keith's point - that's my understanding as well, but I have heard that some AWD systems can be damaged if you have too much variance in your tyres (e.g. the old AWD Vauxhall Cailbras). I can't understand how or why this would be the case from a mechanical perspective on any car on our rough roads today, but I'm am an amateur mechanic and not an engineer!

5. SteveBurt Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Steve Burt CAMBRIDGE
    Ah, space saver. Shame. I thought the 3rd Generation CR-V still had a full size spare, like the 2nd Generation.