Engine & Gearbox turbo help

Discussion in 'Honda F/H-Series' started by Ek3_clover_green, Sunday 6th Dec, 2009.

1. Ek3_clover_green Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i have a ek3 with the d15z6 engine in running an aem air filter to a skunk2 racing back box. i am really wanting to turbo it but am not sure where to start could any1 tell me all of the parts that i would need to turbo my car. and roughly how much each part costs wud help loads.

2. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

look in the traders section at racetech, they do bolt on turbo kits for dseries.

also there are many threads stickied around that will tell you all you need.

but my first advice would be a engine swap or minime. yes you could turbo your d15z6, but as its a econo engine, aimed at fuel economy not really performance, it will be cheaper, and easier to get more power out of say a d16z6, or a d16y8

3. tubbyandy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As above, read all the other threads with this title and the stiky that pretty much answers yur question

4. JDMJut Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You can buy the 1.6 VTEC, single cam engine for 100-150 quid, these turbo really well. I'd swap one of those in first if I were you.

5. Ek3_clover_green Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i would do an engine swap but i would do 1 that is worthwhile i can pick up a vti or Type-R lump with the donor car for bout 800 from peeps i knw or a h22a lump but i really want a turbo would it be bettter to turbo a DOHC 1.6 or wat?

6. turbodailydan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

d series are a good little engine for boost.

7. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

if your turboing then a decent d series engine is a good worthwhile swap, there are many a d series turbo's on here that are running between 220-300bhp, plus they are cheap, and you only need the engine, VTEC wiring and p28 ecyu to swap it over.

for bseries, swap you'll need new gearbox, mounts, drive shafts etc and only be looking at 187bhp. and a h22 is a whole different game, you need custom mounts, driveshafts and a whole heap more for 215bhp(h22a7). your looking at paying nearly the same amount for the custom bits on a h22swap, not including engine,box. as you are for a racetech dseries turbo kit from ricky. and you'll have alot more power from your turbo d.

you want boost for sensible money go dseries. if you have a winning lottery ticket, rich parents. or a bloody good job then swap in a b18/h22 and turbo that. but if you have the extra money, why start with a ek3. get a vti to start with

8. turbodailydan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

also worth mentioning that if your not prepared to spend on the neccassary parts to do it properly. don't do it.. you will only have problems

you can't do turbo conversions on the cheap AND have them last and be reliable.

cheap and turbo never go in the same sentence :Tongue:

9. Ek3_clover_green Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ok so how much would it cost to turbo my d series then any1 got a rough figure

10. turbodailydan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

to do it properly?

11. Ek3_clover_green Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yeah but i dnt really want to change the internls of the engine to much hassle if i was to do that i would probs change to a vti or Type-R lump it

12. tubbyandy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Alot of it depends on what you want from the car!!!!!!!!!! What sort of power figures are you wanting out of it? What are you going to use the car for? All of this will affect the parts of the kit you will need to get. We need something more than 'how much will it cost'. Could be anything from a few grand to lots and lots lol. Id say look at about

13. turbodailydan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

if it were me i wouldn't want to turbo an engine with stock internals thats not been rebuilt.. they always give problems in the end that will cost

14. tubbyandy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have to agree with dan, if your going to do it do it properly (then again theres a few people whove done it here but its all in the tune as they say). Id have to agree with dropping a B18 in though

15. Ek3_clover_green Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks guys i jus want it as a daily driver that if sum lil ricer in a saxo or 106 or smin shit pulls up nxt to me i can jus boost her a bit n leave him but still remain drivable i dnt mind bout horsepower mayb 180-200 would be fine and the engine has full seervice history n 38,000 miles on the clock owned by a granny so the engine alrite i do oil changes every

8k on it i been offered a full turbo kit and fitting with everything done so i have to do nothing for

16. tubbyandy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is that one of there kits or is that EVERYTHING you need inc management etc. by the look of there kits on here id say it was pretty good. What exactly does it include mate?

17. Ricky@Race-Tech Commercial Services Trader

Thats a drive in drive out build.

I.e. 1 our turbo kits, injectors, fuel pump, and mapping. IIRC he had an exhaust that was suitable.

Regards

Ricky

18. lee4391 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Use the flippin search button man!! this questions gets asked multiple times a week, If you gunna do research at least do it properly, And also d-series.org will help aswell however, use it as a library, then ask questions if you are really stuck.

19. turbodailydan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

20. tubbyandy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah id say thats a a banging price. What amanagement is that using mate? Injectors etc or is it custom specced to whatever the customer decides?