Engine & Gearbox Torque Control arm

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Gazza, Sunday 7th Jul, 2019.

1. Gazza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gazza Borough Green
    Hi all
    Have any of you chaps had to replace the rear lower torque control mount on your 2008 on wards Accord diesel and why ? it sits just behind the engine oil drain plug under the removable under shield. I see that Cox's Honda Parts now list it as a Service Item.

Attached Files:

2. Matt at H-Tune Service Team H-Tune Staff

Hey @Gazza,

If you drop us an email to sales@h-tune.co.uk with your reg, we should be able to see if we can get a replacement from Honda.

We'll gladly see if we can get them for a good price for you. :Smile:

Regards.

3. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    the price is outstanding. why they started to list this item? Its common problem for our diesels?

4. Matt at H-Tune Service Team H-Tune Staff

I really wouldn't be surprised with the amount of torque they produce, plus mounts like thatget a hard time on almost every engine, especially as some of them are now up to 16 years old.

5. Gazza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    I'm after the symptoms of one of these mounts beginning to fail. Our holidays are touring Europe with a caravan last year in hot weather in Italy i noticed a rather alarming knocking noise from the front of the car when driving over a bumpy road or over ridges in the tarmac anything not smooth now this is with and without the caravan this does not happen here in the UK in the cooler weather, I thought drop links so i changed them all front and rear and when i had the MOT some 2 months after returning I asked the mechanic to give it a very thorough test on ball joints and bushes etc it sailed through so i thought the drop links have sorted it. Just returned from Italy again and the exact same problem has happened again sounds like a bag of spanners but only in hot weather, now I'm home its fine again. This is why I'm looking at the torque mount. Anyone else tour or tow with a Diesel Accord Tourer ?

6. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    Hello guys, as i though, there is a reason that this control arm appeared into coxmotor parts catalogue as service item.

i just took a video of my gearbox damper, its gone :Smile: look:

Here is some photos, the parts does not look identical, though,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the arm is connectend with four bolts. While coxmotorparts part is conneted with three. So which one? :Smile:

7. Gazza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi The Cox's part must just be a picture of a generic Torque control arm mine is the same as yours four bolts, it is very easy to remove. Your video doesn't mean its gone you need to remove it the loose rubber you point out is part of the rubber moulding (see my pictures) do you have any knocking sounds?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Engine Assembly Lower Torque Rod Replacement

1. Remove the two bolts securing the expansion tank.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

1. Loosen the upper torque rod mounting bolt (A).
    1. Raise the vehicle on the lift to full height.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A

1. Remove the engine undercover.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

1. Remove the lower torque rod (A).
    1. Install the lower torque rod, then tighten the new lower torque rod mounting bolts in the numbered sequence shown.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (1)
    14 x 1.5 mm
    93 N·m
    (9.5 kgf·m, 69 lbf·ft)

Replace.
    (2)
    12 x 1.25 mm
    55 N·m (5.6 kgf·m, 41 lbf·ft)

Replace.
    A

1. Install the engine undercover.
    1. Lower the vehicle on the lift.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

1. Tighten the upper torque rod mounting bolt.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    14 x 1.5 mm
    93 N·m (9.5 kgf·m, 69 lbf·ft)

1. Install the expansion tank.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    6 x 1.0 mm
    9.8 N·m (1.0 kgf·m, 7.2 lbf·ft)

8. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    I only have very strange behavior when reversing. If i let the clutch more aggresively i can feel judger movement, like an engine boucing in the engine bay :Smile:
    While moving forwards - everything is okay.

Matt at H-Tune likes this.