tools..

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by rocafella, Sunday 15th Nov, 2009.

1. rocafella Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

well, i need some peoples info on tools as im a trainee heavy plant engineer for scottish coal.

ie. i fix big diggers

its came tht time where im almost by my probationary period an need to sort my self out with some decent tools.

what ones to go for ? snap on, halfords pro/advanced, draper, brit tool, facom, bluepoint etc.

anyone had any experiences or problems ? i know some come with lifetime gaurentee which will be hella handy in my field.

cheers

2. dozzy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've got the biggest socket set in the halfords professional range, it's good kit, I've not had any problems... Beleive they're made for halfords by "Teng Tools".. I'd reccommend it :Smile:

3. rocafella Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yeah teng tools was another one on the list jus forgot to put it up. i spoke to the guy in halfords an cos im in a trade i get them at trade prices and any bother with them bring them in an we'll sort a replacement for you so thts a another bonus i suppose

4. Jono Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just get halfords pro mate. They come with a lifetime warranty same as the big name manufacturers so the cheaper price makes sense

I've had my full set for about 8 years now and they are still in great working order

And don't buy teng, one of the lads i worked with as an apprentice spent

5. greasemonkey Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

sort your self out with some decent tools.personally speaking use snap-on as your everyday use and tools that you abuse most of the time.. price will cost you a hell lot, but it does pay the price.. you will be disappointed.. for same quality go MAC tools but not the same price.. go for Signet or Koken tools aswell, if its sill too expensive use halfords make sure its on PRO range, then for your impact tools when on a budget go for Facom, Taskmaster or trident.. again if i were you i would mix and match them.. you don't need all snap-on.. but there's a phrase saying "what you pay, is what you get"

good luck.. :Smile: :Wink:

6. mattek3 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

x2

I have a selection of Teng, Snap on and some Halfords Pro's and you can't knock the halfords kit for the money.

7. SaintGrimm Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Makes a change for something from Halfords :Tongue:

Most of my tools are from Halfords and they're fantastic! Hit them with hammers and everything without damage :Grin:

Only thing I decided to source was a torque wrench as I wanted something I could trust for years and even though I hold Halfords tools in high regard I wanted to make sure it was quality.

8. DanF Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The halfords pro kit I herd was made by snap on. Also it comes with a lifetime garuntee so its a win win.

Id also recomend any set of impact sockets for those really tight ones so you don't round them off.

9. Pearse Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Halfords Gear is spot on mate, i bought a set for

10. si vti Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

anything with a life time garuntee you can't go wrong with. i only buy snap on off of ebay, never off of the van as its a rip off!

11. BigJames Commercial Services Trader

Id also wait until your probationary period IS up before investing. A lot of employers wait till the very final day before getting rid of anyone to get the best value for money

12. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Personally all I've ever used and bought is snap-on or for work and halfords pro at my unit. Snap on is awesome as said but very pricey!

Halfords is also very very good but does break, but at less than quarter of the price it doesn't matter. Just remember to buy the best quality stuff for the bits that you used and abuse day in day out and cannot be without if it does break and use halfords for the stuff that if it does happen to break an you can't leave work to replace it you can do without

13. rocafella Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

14. Bon Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm also looking for buy a tool, a torque wrench, a local nut and bolt store is a TENG Tools dealer. The wrench I am looking at costs about

15. Pearse Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

just buy another spanner combi set an that should do ya, im sure halfords have a 3/4 ratchet, its not a long arm one but a scaffy tube yould give you any extra leverage you would need, id get a couple of extensions too, the sockets you should get should range from about 24mm to maybe 38mm, there ideal when you havent got a windy gun and need to split a track to change a idler or change pads.

I Personally never use inch gear as its its more for a windy gun, ie wheel nuts and such, should be able to get away with 3/4 on 90% of plant jobs :Wink:

16. Ross. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My mate just got rid of all his tools. They were blue point which is snap on and he said he sold them for

17. rocafella Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

aye those sizes sound about right buddy, cheers muchos for the advice !

think i might take a run by halfords the mora after work :cool:

18. scottboy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Halfords pro or bluepoint for me

19. super_sonic_blue Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i use sealey tools, they are cheaper and there proffesional range come with lifetime garanty, and I've never had any problems with them

20. WIlkesyMB6 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have some of the halfords pro range, and there very good. I have only broke one bit and i took it back and they replaced it on the spot