tinting rear windows in the eg

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by large_steve182, Monday 9th Nov, 2009.

1. large_steve182 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

saw an EG, sam amers build up, i allso have a silver EG and thought his looked good with the rear windows blacked out, whats the best way to go about tinting them,

film? spray? halfords gloss black?

also how does it go with window surround? such as on the inside of the back windows theres the black border that goes around the window, does that get covered etc?

2. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

tint film is the only way to do it and the black border really help when doing the edges cause you don't need to do the edges perfect then but on the outside it looks fine

3. large_steve182 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

but from the outside would you still be able to see the border, presuming the film and the border arent the exact same shade of black?

4. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ye you should still be able to see it, you do realise you apply the tint inside the glass not outside

5. EGplease Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

it looks fine especially with a really dark tint i had it on my old EG and looked great and im also looking at doing it with my current EG but go pro. cuz bubbles and ripples look really bad

6. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

im with this man, im all for doing things diy and i can tint better than most pro's but it took a bit of practice and lots of ruined expensive film to get good at it

7. EGplease Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i had the reciept for my old EG and for the back window and the two back side windows it was 80 quid i think so its not uber expensive and worth the dosh if you want it done right the first time also be careful cuz some glass cleaners don't go well with tints

8. large_steve182 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

thats the thing i was hoping to buy some film off ebay and be done with it, i don't want to spend money,

but after searching through some old threads, alot of people have arsed it up before, which doesnt fill me with confidence.

9. EGplease Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

if it were me (it is lol) i would just wait a little bit longer and get it done pro... bubbles FTL :/

10. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

if you were to give it a go yourself then the best bit of advice i can give you is ignore the instruction where it says don't use to much soappy water and use tons of the stuff as the more you use the more time you get to remove imperfections, if you do get small bubbles which you will being your first attempt then just pop them with a pin and smooth them flat

11. EGplease Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yea i have seen it done before but i wouldn't feel comfortable giving advise on how to do it but let me know how it turns out... if you find some cheap film why not give it a bash??

12. Calp87 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

go to a company to get it done..

13. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

it don't really matter what advice i give out wether it be good or bad the only reall way to learn how to tint is to try it and screw up lots of times

14. EGplease Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yea but also what i said is that if you can get a roll of film for like a 5er off ebay then screw it just do it till you get it right lol

15. large_steve182 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

saw some on the bay for 9 pound or something, the advert looks alot better than everyone elses, wether or not it means its a better product i don't know

but its a thinner sheet than others, some reason about thicker sheets beeing harder to do or something,

just i have 20 quid or so in my paypal, and don't want to give them the fees to put it in my bank,

so was looking for cheap accessories, aws gona get the led's for the dials and heater etc,

or mugen replica gear knob for 20 quid,

a short shifter, only problem, it hasnt been a dry day here for about 3 weeks now so won't get a chance to fit it,

a load of stickers

or whatever other crap i don't really need

16. Jasonday2007 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i tinted my EK rear quarter windows myself, only had like 1 bubble in each side which wasn't too noticeable and like ''oh my god, that looks super ghetto''

It was a tenner for like 3 meters of limo black off ebay and did the job.

17. EGplease Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

short shift just did mine with Jscivic was not to bad to do and sooooo worth it :Grin:

18. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

short shifters are a waste of time , if your left hands that slow then do a bit of left hand wanking to give it a work out

19. EGplease Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate it feels so much better just that little bit reduced throw made a differance for me but i guess it comes down to opinion

20. Loony Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

DO NOT do it yourself, because you WILL FUCK IT UP, im 99% sure.

Side windows are piss easy, I've tinted my windows myself but rear is a bitch and I fucked mine up, so had to get it redone.