Tin like noise from engine..

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by Immy, Sunday 15th Nov, 2009.

1. Immy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey guys,

I have recently come accross a squeeky noise coming from the engine area. I have checked the power steering and alternator belts and pretty sure it's not them as they have a different kind of sound when they start to give in. This sound is a gental tin like sound which aint too loud but it is there when idleing as normal?

Any possible culprits.. I have a feeling it's from within the timing belt area as it has never been replaced before and mileage is 54k and 2000 plate...

It could either be the timing belt tensioner ? the belt? Not sure defo not waterpump as it's coming from the upper area..

Cheers guys

2. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds like your explaining a metal rattling type noise, check that you manifold heatshield isn't loose as that will cause a tinny noise, check it when it's cold obviously lol

3. Immy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

is the heatshield the one straight infront of you when your looking at the engine bay right as the manifold is underneath it, correct me if i'm wrong.. It's not from that area if your saying that .. It's not even a rattle it's lyk a gentel tin squeek lol these noises are so hard to explain ! It comes and goes not consistent..

4. wanstar Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

alternator bearings.