General The Dashcam Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by ArcticFire, Saturday 28th Sep, 2013.

1. Littlelondoner Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I've hardwired a Nextbase dashcam into my Accord 7th Generation CDTi using the Nextbase wiring kit. It's plugged into the cigarette lighter fuse position and it's earthed to a bolt on the bulkhead underneath the accelerator pedal.

Trouble is that the dashcam powers up before I switch on the ignition, basically as soon as I plug it in. I've tried 4 other fuses in the internal fuse box and the same thing happens. So there's obviously power getting to the dashcam through the fuse locations even when the ignition is off.
    I am at a loss to explain this. Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
    Andy

2. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The cigarette socket is on a switched connector, but I don't know what else it shares. However i have used the socket for the passenger side electric window. And that is deffo ignition switched.

3. Littlelondoner Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Gareth, I'll try that tomorrow and let you know.

4. Littlelondoner Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry Harvey, got your name wrong!
    That one worked fine, thanks very much for your help.

5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    This happened to me yesterday, roundabout that takes you from M40 South to A34..

For some reason, lorry driver moved into a lane that is merging into the lane, just after the roundabout, almost taking out a Volvo, and then me when he brakes and moves left. He then drives over the solid line on the edge of the motorway (very close to the barriers) and starts hooting and accelerating, all the time flashing his high beams... what an idiot. Audio removed as you probably don;t want to hear what I said :Grin:

bbutc, andy83 and Nels like this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Good job you were focussed on the task at hand -Driving that is.

I don't believe you said anything bad. You'd end up on Santa's Naughty List if you had. :lol:

andy83 and RogerH69 like this.
  7. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

To be fair he was an idiot and was probably trying to cut the Volvo off mid overtake, on a section of road designed for that purpose and to filter, and then get mad when that failed.

RogerH69 likes this.
  8. bbutc Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Derby
    Very dangerous / aggressive driving by the lorry driver.

BTW I like your camera - what is it?

PS. Always make sure your cars are locked! >

https://youtu.be/nVFybBPze7o

9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@bbutc - The camera I use is the Koonlung K1s. Note however, they it doesn't display picture in picture like that - I did that :Smile:

10. DrSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Hello all, time to wake up this post again.
    So, I'm looking to buy a dashcam, I'm more on the road than I used to be due to changing jobs.
    The number of stupid drivers i seen in the last 3 months is ridiculous.
    Since I'm looking to buy a dashcam, I want it recording 24/7 so including when the car is parked.
    Ideal I want a camera that records in good quality so I can easily read number plates and want a dual camera so I can record front and back. My budget is about £120. Not fussed about it having Wifi, GPS and all other gimmicks.

Throw your recommendation my way please, also interested to know what you all have installed.

11. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

For £120, you're not going to get much in the way of dual dashcams that are good quality

That said, The Mini 0906 dual dashcam that I got for my Prelude is actually pretty good with good quality video. They go for about £99 - £109. Recording 24 hours is nigh on impossible unless you get a full on surveillance system. What you had do however with most dashcams is engage 'parking mode'. Depending on the dashcam, this can be recording video / pictures when it detects motion, or taking pictures every couple of seconds. This requires the dashcam to be hardwired though, and obviously this can drain the car battery.

You can get hardwire kits that will turn off the attached device when the battery level gets below a certain level, which I would recommend getting.

Audio and video quality on t he mini 0906 are pretty good for t he price you pay.

The mini 0906 I got, with it's hardwire kit was just over £120. I used parking mode (record video when it detects motion) but when it rained, the camera was recording the rain the whole night, and the previous day's recording (which I actually wanted) were overwritten. Look here for my posts about it - https://h-tune.co.uk/club/threads/show-meet-car.186997/live?page=2#post-2326511
    - - - Updated - - -
    In my Outlander, which I'm flogging tomorrow, I have a Koonlung K1s - I used to swear by these, as they are VERY discrete, but all of them have started failing whereby the Micro USB plug for power starts getting faulty, so the camera keeps turning off and then on again while driving. I've got a spare one of these as well which I'll be putting in the Accord when I get it tomorrow until next year when I'll probably get a Mini 0906 setup for her as well. Video on Koonlung K1s is not as good as on the Mini 0906, and audio is pretty shite.

DrSam likes this.
  12. DrSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's fine, if I need to spend more I may do however I seen a review on Aukey DR02 for £120, looks promising.
    Yes, I have thought about battery drain, and hoping my battery doesn't die within 24 hours. The consumption on dash cams are quite low.
    At one point, i was going to get them, it's got a sperate DVR which I like and can connect it to a screen.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hmmmm, CCTV's and DVR run on 12v, maybe install a home cctv lol.
    Jokes aside, do car surveillance exist?

13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Yeah, koonlung K1s is connected to my head unit. Can't do this on Mini 0906 though (well, you can with a HDMI cable, but only for playback - you can;t see the live video feed from cameras via HDMI)

Dashcams like the Aukey DR02 have been around for a while, under many different brands. I had one for a while and it was really shite, especially the rear camera. I will warn you - as with most things, you get what you pay for with dashcams. Cheap cost = shit quality / longevity
    - - - Updated - - -
    No idea if car surveillance systems exist, but you could almost definitely make one yourself using a Car-PC based off of something small and cheap like a Raspberry Pi
    - - - Updated - - -
    To be honest, if I had the money, I'd go for something like this - https://blackvuehd.co.uk/product/bl...lYiW9591mUGQiRf3iIHz8PDekf14sd9AaAkvmEALw_wcB

DrSam and andy83 like this.
  14. DrSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Agree, budget is tight at the moment. I will be ordering from Amazon, their return policy is amazing for faulty goods.
    - - - Updated - - -
    £520!!!! :Aghast:
    That's nearly the same price as my Accord lol
    - - - Updated - - -
    Now you got me thinking

RogerH69 likes this.