General Test Drive Honda Civic 1.5 VTEC 182ps Sport

Discussion in '10th Generation (2016)' started by tomwillie, Wednesday 22nd Feb, 2017.

1. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Had 30 miles test drive this morning, the car was brand new with only 29 miles registered. It was smooth & bit more comfortable & quieter than my previous 9th Generation Civic SR 1.8 VTEC but more wind noise at 70 mph than my current Civic Type-R GT. I also prefer the slightly higher seating in the 9th Generation Civic & current HR-V. In my opinion Honda have made a big mistake in doing away with the magic seats. Honda need to put both 129ps & 182ps engines in HR-V to cater for 9th Generation Civic owners who make use of magic seats.

Instrument panel display with speedo viewed through steering wheel & revs displayed around the outside is big improvement on 9th Generation. arrangement.

The lane assist worked well, it tugs the steering slightly & gives dashboard display sign if you change lanes without indicating as is often done if nothing behind so could be a bit of a pain as I do not think it can be turned off.

9th Generation Civic Type-R has magic seats but without the locking mechanism provided, which was a bit daft of Honda. However, rear seat bases can be unlatched and securely held up against seat backs with luggage case straps around them. Also with the rear seat belts secured across them this provides as an additional precaution against the seat bases coming down on our two dogs that travel in the cabin. So the 10th Generation Civic Type-R will not be a suitable replacement for my 9th Generation Civic Type-R GT.

I liked the auto handbrake, it worked well but otherwise the car did not give me an overwhelming desire to have one. Others have commented about the shallow boot. Thus Honda is unlikely to gain many new customers from other manufacturers with the 10th Generation Civic & may well loose existing 9th Generation Civic owners unless they put more powerful petrol turbo engines in the HR-V.

2. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Problem with the 10th Generation Civic is that being a world platform it is a development of the Civics' previously produced for N America etc which were completely different to UK/EU 9th Generation Civic. Even if not successful in UK the N American market & elsewhere will probably keep Swindon plant fully utilised.

3. Beefy Evangelist H-Tune Community

United Kingdom Stoke
    The magic seats are certainly a big loss for customers who utilised them the most. The main reason for there demise was the demand for a change in rear suspension design to move closer to rivals multi link suspension setups. The Civic has taken a beating over there rear suspension for many years over two generations.

4. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    The beatings are mainly from the motoring press who often look at German cars through rose tinted spectacles.
    With my 9th Generation Civic SR 1.8iVTEC I found that just 12 No 450 by 450 ceramic floor tiles in the boot the ride was all but as smooth as my 09 reg Accord 2.4EXi. So when loaded up on holiday the ride was perfectly ok, especially on main roads. The Civic had a nice simple rear suspension whereas the Accord with its multi link suspension, as now on the 10th Generation Civic, could be difficult to get set up to avoid excessive rear tyre wear. That said the multi link rear suspension on my wife's 4th Generation CR-V has given low tyre wear, lets hope 10th Generation Civic is same. If same toe cam adjusters on rear as CR-V & Honda S2000 then it would be a good idea to get adjuster bolts thoroughly copper greased when new.
    Lesser versions of VW group cars do have same similar twist beam rear suspension to 9th Generation Civic. Whereas the current Golf versions with multi link rear suspension have some problems according to Honest John web site.

5. Beefy Evangelist H-Tune Community

United Kingdom Stoke
    I have a gut feeling that the good pints will out weigh the bad in this new generation. The magic seats have had there time over two generations and gained there fans in the process. But times move on and car design is taking a leap into the age of low emissions targets and other priorities. Perhaps this is in part due to the low slung design? I don't know the first thing in car design but the first thing you look at is desirability and to me anyway the Civic has it. No car is perfect but there in lies the choice. It's a consumer led market! And I feel Honda is right up ther with its rivals on this one.

honda_saj and Fiskekutteren like this.
  6. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've had no problems with rear tyre wear on my 2006 Accord. Tyres lasted c. 50,0000 miles. I have had problems with the rear brake pads wearing out after only 25,000 miles which seems to be a common issue. Buyers of the new Civic need to consider the very low ground clearance resulting in a very poor breakover angle.

honda_saj likes this.
  7. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Only applicable in you have extreme steep driveways not everyone has mount Everest in their front yards. So new buyers should avoid that statement there is ways of mitigating ground contact.

andy83, ryanmch67 and honda_saj like this.
  8. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    The magic seats do not effect the rear suspension but moving the fuel tank from under front seats to rear does. Would not be surprised if for U.K. market they are reintroduced.

9. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    can't see that happening in the FL either it will require new rear floor pan , new fuel tank & new suspension layout due to the floor plan to get the magic seats. Not to mention, new tooling , new production method, new parts, and retesting with NCAP.

10. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Cliff County Durham
    From what I've read it seems Honda's new strategy which applies to the latest Civic is to aim for global uniformity and its consequent economies of scale and push back from regional market variations.

I suspect it was the application of this strategy that led to the scrapping of the 10th Generation Tourer in the European market. Likewise I think it will mean no magic seats for local markets at any point in the product cycle unfortunately.

This is a massive change for Honda, if not a U-turn. This car is a throwback to quick early 90s Civics that boy racers loved. The look of the car compared to the 9th Generation speaks for itself. The people who will buy it are people who want to go fast. The same people like lower cars. They aren't bothered about 'boring' things like luggage space.

Honda's message to D segment drivers seems to be "Buy a CR-V or get lost!".

11. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    When Honda move CR-V production to Canada they will loose existing customers who prefer to buy vehicles made in UK.

12. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    tomwillie and andy83 like this.
  13. legend-ary Evangelist H-Tune Community

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    What about the ingenious parcel shelf. No ones wseems to be talking about that!!! it's such a simple yet functional design that you cannot imagine why no one ever thought of that. But that's Honda for you!

honda_saj likes this.
  14. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    In my opinion the "blind" is useful where it is advisable to leave open so potential thieves can see boot is empty but looks cheap & will not have the sound attenuation of a rigid shelf.

15. Pottermus Valued Contributor H-Tune Community

What do you have in your CR-V?

16. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ray Cambridge
    Not much good being said about the new Honda Civic on here. Just ordered a sport plus to replace my Honda Accord 2009. Hope it wasn't a mistake. Had a great Honda experience with the Accord but it was getting on. However will find out next week..

17. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Nothing new, had one in my 1995 Landrover Discovery 1st Generation :Blushing:

honda_saj and andy83 like this.
  18. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Just going to post some fabulous insight into the development of this new Civic via Honda R&D published articles. I think people can make up their minds this car is quite unique.

Look out for the new threads within this section, this information will never be in any Honda brochure or manual these are quite a revelation.

legend-ary and andy83 like this.
  19. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    some good points and tips discussed here along with negative factors

20. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds