Taking off the backbox help!

Discussion in '5th Generation (1992-1995)' started by TAM 11M, Thursday 31st Dec, 2009.

1. TAM 11M Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi guys

i needed a new backbox as my old one gave up and died, and been taking that one off when i have hit a dead end, i have got the rubbers off and the bolts holding it to the midpipe, thing is, now that its all off the backbox won't come off the midpipe, im guessing the midpipe has a bit that goes and joins into the backbox and thats got stuck, so anyone know how to get that lose and get the backbox off

any help welcome

thanks

Elid

2. carlsberg Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

theres normally an extra rubber the other side of the lca holding the backbox up as well. other than that there is nothing else

2 bolts for the backbox-midpipe

3 rubber hangers

3. large_steve182 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

have you gave it a good pull?

inside it forms a cone and overtime will seal itself with crap so may take a bit of pulling, but shouldnt be anything else holding it on

4. TAM 11M Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yeah i have given it a lot of pulling, even got my brother (whos a lot meater than me lol) and even he couldn't do much, so far its not giving me anything

5. Shib786 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I take it there was a clamp holding it which the 2 bolts you have removed? or is it just a flange and 2 bolts going through?

regardless, hit the backbox towards the back of the car with a hammer and it should fly off!

6. Cannit Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Its definately hammer time

7. TAM 11M Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

lol, it has been hammer time all day, been doing that for ages and it doesnt move, the whole exhaust system just moves not just the backbox, lol

and there was no clamps or anything, just the bolts and flange

8. Shib786 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

put some effort into it you puff!:TIS:

9. TAM 11M Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

lol, im not weak, and like i said before my brother isnt weak at all,

i even tried getting the small jack from the Civic, putting one side on the backbox and other on somewhere solid which was i think the lca, and opened, all that happened was the whole exhaust moved back and thats it

also carlsberg, that other rubber is a part of the mid pipe isnt it?

10. andyek4 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

try twisting it aswell as pulling!

mine was abit of a pig to get off, but it shouldnt take long at all!

11. jscivic Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

nah theres only 2 rubbers holding the backbox on, the '3rd' one is for the B pipe, perhaps your donut ring has just eroded and the heats welded the b pipe to your backbox, just give it some welly with a big bar or something

12. jayp Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

you'll have to hit it on the flange with the hammer and try and steady it otherwise all the force of the blow is just moving the whole exhaust rather than shocking the joint apart.

13. Gav_ek4 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

sounds to me like the flange has been replaced with a slip joint and the joint has seized together

14. TAM 11M Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

finally got it off, used various tools plus the hammer and it popped off, thanks guys