Service & Maintenance SvRS (Service B)

Discussion in '4th Generation (2015)' started by Pete48, Saturday 15th Dec, 2018.

1. Pete48 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Peter Warrington
    Just bumping this again. I have a 3rd Generation Jazz first registered in March 2017. Bought it in Feb this year and noticed it had been serviced in January by the dealership. SvRS system is active and is now telling me I need a B service in 26 days (no other numbers) so, basically, just a check - no oil change or any other item. Presumably it will prompt me for other items later in the year (I gather oil changes are based on my driving pattern etc). I only do a very small annual mileage (3,000) and the car only gets used 4 times a week on average. The issue is further complicated by a 2 year service deal thrown in by the dealer as a sweetener when I was buying it. I guess I might be making more than one visit per year to the dealership so my question is this - should I get it disabled?

2. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    So your Jazz was Serviced in January 2018, service should ideally be done every 6,000miles or 1 year which every comes first.

Not exactly, even if the car is sitting for nearly one year, it is still recommended to service a car as fluids do deteriorate.

3,000 miles don't seem to be much but constant start stop effects the car more than driving longer, i.e. motorway driving, it's less wear and tear because of constant speed and less breaking and gear changes etc.

I wouldn't, it's a good feature to have as it will remind you.

Here's the maintenance intervals:
    IMG_20181215_194115_572.
    IMG_20181215_194139_394.

3. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    Interesting funny that you cannot turn back on without replacing instrument cluster :gotcha:

4. Pete48 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't have a problem with an annual service - far from it - but I am a bit confused as to why the system isn't saying that a oil and filter change is due. In short - it's just saying B - nothing else and B is just an overall check from what I can see. I would have expected to see AB at least.

5. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    I see what you mean, What's the mileage on the car now?

honda_saj likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    honda_saj likes this.
  7. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

Do not deactivate SvRS. It cannot be be turned on again.
    I'll have to check the code details when I'm back on my PC.

Personally, I like it as it gives me the information specific to my vehicle.

8. Pete48 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

To be fair, I don't have a huge problem with Service Reminder systems in general - I had one on a BMW back in the day - but I'm struggling to understand this one or how it would fit in with my service plan. It's clearly saying that only a 12 month check (SvRS B) is required and no other work. Honda's policy is that some cars may require more frequent oil and filter changes and, if you have a service plan, these extra oil services have to be paid for separately because they are based on your usage patterns.

The other issue is that the 2 year service (if you are just going on an annual basis) is a big one and a big one is what I've paid for including a CVT transmission fluid change. If they go by the SvRS I'll just get a quick once over. I'll have a word with the dealers and see what they say but any insight into this issue will be gratefully received.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry - should have said. Car will have done 10,000 by the time of the service.

9. Beefy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Using hondas diagnostic computer you can look into the SvRS history and see how many days have elapsed since previously re-set and the remaining “life” of all service items. Mileage and use will have an impact on when the SvRS will show the need for each item in turn. A strange concept when you could have a b multipoint check due 1st of December let’s say and A needed a few days later. Your dealer should be able to tell you when each is due and arrange for them to be carried out in a more sensible way. As in at the same time. Those items should then be re-set and there life cycle will start again.

Pete48, honda_saj and andy83 like this.
  10. Pete48 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Beefy. That makes a lot of sense. I have read, elsewhere, that items are often added by the SvRS as you approach the due date.

11. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think SvRS is a great idea in principle, but ends up confusing the owner/driver unnecessarily. Hence why Honda have quietly reverted back to set time and distance intervals.

12. Pete48 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Spoke to Holdsworth Honda at Warrington this morning. They said that the A quite often doesn't come up and that B implies an oil and filter change and they would do that anyway. I said that I was concerned that I had paid for an AB23 service (includes transmission fluid change) and they said that that is the service they would do regardless of what the SvRS system was showing. They said that they could see from the car's records that it had been put on an annual service basis. I note that the first service had indeed been entered on the annual service part of the service book as opposed to the SvRS section of the book.

Still not sure that this makes complete sense but I am assured that they will do the AB23 service regardless of what the SvRS says.

13. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ask them to set it to time and distance after the service is complete as well.

Pete48 likes this.
  14. Beefy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Funny how technicians understand the principle but the staff dealing with the customer don’t. I’m glad your getting it sorted. BUT. B means visual check ONLY. A does come up, when the oil and filter is due replacing. However if the A service is due reasonably close to the time B is indicated it would make perfect sense to carry out the oil service at the same time. Items 2 - 9 can be due at any time in between the A or B intervals. Technically you could follow your cars indication and book in for just a coolant change. Or to have the pollen filter replaced without any other work. This is why, with an SvRS enabled Honda. All due dates should be checked at the initial appointment and discussed with the customer. If you had a service reminder of AB2 you would book in and the dealer would say. Ok sir you are due an inspection service with oil and filter plus pollen filter. The technician will check the due dates of the remaining items and report back to you if there are any other service requirements due soon. Let’s say air filter and coolant are due in 100 days. This is well under 12 months. You may want to have those replaced at the same time. Or decide to make a booking in the next 100 days to have those items replaced and perhaps as part of the visit a B inspection. Which should be free anyway. As you see. It’s far too complicated a concept for even service advisors to comprehend. Which is why I have not been asked at activate SvRS by any customer for at least the last 6 years. Best thing to do is have it turned off and revert to 12 monthly servicing. Because that’s what your dealer is selling you essentially.

Pete48 and Nighthawk like this.
  15. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

If my car ever goes in to a dealer, I am going to ask them to turn mine off. I ignore it anyway and stick to my regular service schedule of every twice a year. Once before spring, and one before autumn.

Pete48 likes this.
  16. Pete48 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I tend to think that the SvRS system might be relevant for drivers who do a high mileage but less so for people like me who do a small annual mileage and need things doing on a time basis - especially oil because I do a lot of stop start stuff. I've booked a service as I've said and was tempted to get them to turn the SvRS off but I'm curious to see what it comes up with! It's still showing B only.

Pottermus likes this.
  17. superfede72 New Member Getting Started

Italy Fede Bologna
    Jazz 1.3 GK, 20000km/year, bought in april 2017. I had to ask to my dealer to activate SvRS during the 1°st service, they forgot to set it on during the pre-delivery operations.
    Considering that if the engine is cold:
    • part of the fuel spray wets internal cylinder walls, does not evaporate during compression and strains into the sump, collected by piston rings, so oil becomes polluted
    • blowby gas flowing from cylinders to the sump contain a huge amount of water vapour that condenses inside the cold sump, and also this is a polluting matter for oil
    • each time the engine is started, first cycles are not perfect and unburned fuel strain into the sump
    Considering that if the engine is hot:
    • high piston and cylinder temperature can burn some parts of the lubricant, especially if old and polluted;
    • burned and cracked oil parts tend to create jellies and a sort of brown thick varnish (you can see them when you open the camshaft cover...) and this is not good for oil filter and oil ducts
    Considering that chemical pollution and wear change the lubricant characteristics (density, viscosity, acidity, antifoam, antisludge, ...) and so the oil does not work as due;
    Considering that also oxidation causes oil wear, so lubricant spoils even for low mileages;
    Considering that the SvRS system knows exactly the days since the last service, how many start cycles, how many minutes the engine worked at low oil temp, how many miles/kilometers the engine run in not optimal conditions for oil considering temperature and other parameters as speed and gas pedal pressure:
    Considering all above, we can say that the SvRS knows better than every standard user when oil and oil filter life has ended, and they have to be changed; that's why the user manual says that Jazz with SvRS can be serviced once a year or up to 20000km (12000miles), Jazz without SvRS must be serviced every year or 10000km (6000miles); 10000km because the dealer cannot know how the engine worked, if in optimal or not optimal conditions.
    During last 35000km (about 21000 miles) I've checked my SvRS: it starts from 350 (days left to the next service), and usually I read a 10 units decrease every ten days. This in case of standard use (usually trips longer than 10 minutes, few S&S activations, few highways chilometers at high speed), but when I run often very short trips (weeks with many my home to my mother-in-law, 2minutes) or when I drive in high speed highways (i.e Germany, cruise control set at 90-95mph) especially in summer high temperatures, I see a drop of 10 units every 2, 3 or 5 days, so the drop is strongly depending from usage.