Body, Paint & Styling Stubborn front bumper removal

Discussion in '5th Generation (1992-1995)' started by SaintGrimm, Wednesday 25th Nov, 2009.

1. SaintGrimm Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi,

Been trying to get my front bumper off today to get my headlights out but the screws are being stubborn and slipping. Has anyone got any advice on how I can get the screws out?

There is another way to get it off but I'd rather do it properly and remove it rather than use the BMW to rip it away.

Thanks.

2. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Get a sharp chisel, put it on the side of the bolt/screw and put a dent in it using the chisel, put the chisel on an angle Into the dent a tap the screw round with a hammer, or use an impact driver, might just fuck the screw

more

3. SimonF Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Dremel a huge cut across the top and use a massive flat head screw driver with a dose of WD40 at some point with a chance for it work in.

They a proper bitch and both my Civic's i've had to cut right into them. On the EJ i had to get the grinder out and massacre the bolt which in the end must of shook it free more for me to get the flat head in and turn it, very very slowly.

4. SaintGrimm Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Will try those ways, thanks guys!

5. JoeLSi Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I just used pliers.

6. SaintGrimm Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Parts007.

That's how I did it in the end, hammer and screwdriver

Thanks for the help guys :Smile:

7. JDMHatch Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looks like you broke it mate

Not really what was advised above but it's off I guess

8. SaintGrimm Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I did :Tongue:

didn't want to come off any other way :Frown: bumper was damaged anyway so I just finished it off.

9. mu5k3r Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

i had that problem, and funnily enough i found the ans with max power haynes :Smile: i used a set of grips and undid them.. but i suppose your way is good if you don't want to put the bumper back on..?

10. EJ9 Munkee Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mould-Grips...

Have used them on every one of my Civics for front bumper removal and worked every time.

11. civicegheth Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

you could always geta big spanner mark of two of the sides cut them off with a hacksaw and her presto jobs a guddin

12. worksopR33 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i would have said this aswell, only cos i had to do it this way the other day.

13. graham27 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They the same as MOLE grips yeah? :Grin:

Everyone always says these screws are hard to get out, never ever had a problem with them on any of my Civics :s if i can't get it out with a normal screwdriver just use an impact driver and theyre off easy as anything without damaging the head or the bumper...

14. carlsberg Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

use a bigger philips screwhead and they will unscrew, or mole grips