Steamed up headlights

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by HondaR84, Thursday 12th Nov, 2009.

1. HondaR84 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all

I've had two EK's now and both have suffered with steamed up headlights:Frown:

Is anyone else having this problem or know how to cure it?

2. pickles2010 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

split the headlights and then reseal them

3. HondaR84 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah its looking like im going to have too, so annoying

4. razor. Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

this "may" work temporarily

Full beam and cover the headlight/s with a material such as thick newspaper or the likes.

Leave for about 20/25 min

5. ej6coupe Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

mine did this so i removed headlamp bulb then got blow gun and blew moistuer away, its a temp fix I've done this to mine 1nce this year...

6. Bon Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not sure if that'll work, I noticed EK headlights aren't fully sealed anyway...??

Behind the headlight, remove the black rubber surround and leave it off for a few days till it clears up and then put the rubber surround back in? That worked for me anyway, back in the day.

7. northwestcivic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

are they OEM headlights or aftermarket?

8. jdmek Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Adam London
    ust drill 3 small holes in the bottom of the casings. we use to have this problem with cayennes and we had to put breathers on them. allows the moisture to escape the headlamp assembily.

also use to have this problem with my rear lights. drilled holes in the bottom and now there fine.

9. HondaR84 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well thats what i was thinking, drilling a couple of small holes in the bottom as there is loads of water in there mainly around the indicators

10. andy-g_lfc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've had mine split and i resealed them.. The main headlight bit is fine but they steam up around the indicators.. You could try just putting alot of silicone one it.. Will look untidy when the bonnets up though

11. HondaR84 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah i thought of doing that but then decided against it because it would look bad

12. primiximus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I bought a brand new pair of EK9 headlights form Honda a couple of years ago in the winter time and the very next day they fogged up. When I told Honda they said there was nothing they can do. Even the manager basically told me to piss off! Thats just the way it is he said!

13. jdm-mike Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

if your splitting them EK9 them at the same time.

14. chelt_scene Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate its easy to split and reseal them.. stop being a puff lol. be able to do it in a few hours no problem.

15. sananikone Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

without going all jamie oliver, im going to EK9 my headlights. What temp do you put the oven to and how long do you bake the lights? cheers

16. sananikone Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

without going all jamie oliver, im going to EK9 my headlights. What temp do you put the oven to and how long do you bake the lights? cheers

17. andy-g_lfc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just rattle can them lol

You don't need ovens.. Mine where done in a cold workshop and theyre sweet

18. andy-g_lfc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just rattle can them lol

You don't need ovens.. Mine where done in a cold workshop and theyre sweet

19. HondaR84 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

You got any pics?

20. HondaR84 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

You got any pics?