Starting Problems For Over The Past 6 Month :-(

Discussion in '5th Generation (1992-1995)' started by 1600esi, Tuesday 10th Nov, 2009.

1. 1600esi Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

basically my cars been having problems starting especially when the weathers wet or cold, finally got the AA out the other night and he said its possibly my injectors as my spark plugs are gettin too wet with fuel, he still couldn't get the car started, so tried it my self tonight just kept turning over, but there was no compression, so one of my mates told me to take the plugs out wich i did and they were wet, heated them up with a lighter, put them back in and the compression came back and eventually the car started, does anybody know what the actual problem could be? I've changed my plugs many of times, could my timing be out? belt jumped a tooth? as my spark and everything is right, in a way the cars over fueling, too much fuel before it lets itself fir up, another guy said it could be my tappets? its so annoying could anybody possibly tell me the actual problem? all help will be really appreciated, as i don't enjoy walking back a 4mile treck from work at 5am in the cold :-(

2. PittStop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

lol the guy that said about the tappets has NO idea what hes talking about lol!

i expect its your distributer timing , as it sounds like major over fuelling.

if its not that then its your cam timing, has the cambelt been changed recently?

check the timing belt timing.

check the length of the node on the spark plug.

does it smoke at all?

if it does then you're valve stem seals are probably wanked, as that will cause low compression on start up/won't start if its excessive, as oil would've been leaking into the cylinders over how ever long you've left it off.

ummm.

you can rule out the dizzy being 180 degrees out because its tapered to fit one way.

check the ht leads are in the right order?

all i can think off bud.

but i think thats worth the JDM tailgate your selling :Tongue:

3. 1600esi Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

haha the JDM boot lid is my last worry at the moment lol, if it was the dizzy, will the car evetually start its like its got no breath then eventuall catches and hopefully starts, plus the plugs be soaked in fuel, its really pissing me off, i might just break or as i'm getting rid soon, but need it for work as i work nights, appreciate your help dude, but why are my plugs too wet? thanks again

4. -Jamie- Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

being wet is probs due to the fact ur not getting any combustion/ignition, may not be that its over fueling, u say u have no compression when the spark plugs are cold, but do when they are warm... well there is no relevance in that at all so god knows... remember to hold the throttle open when u do a compression test. I'd start with a dry compression test first, if thats ok, pull the HT leads off with the spark plugs still on and check they are sparking (remember plugs rely on being earthed so lean the threads on something metal... I.E the cam cover. If youve got spark, and clearly got fuel, the timing could be miles ago, it should still fire with the timing in roughly the rite place though. Also what colour are the spark plugs, as in the electrode?

Also just had a thought, check what heat range the plugs are and what they should be

5. LIMER Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

have you changed the injectors immy??

6. 1600esi Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've not changed them no :-( the rail and injectors I've got i don't think they'll fit on, the plugs are slightly black but obviously soaking in petrol, limer i tried calling you today, bbut your phone was off bud. this cars really pissing me off arrrggghhhhhhhhh anymore sugesstions?? as i can't be bothered spending shit loads just to find the problem, i'd rather just kno what it is.

7. LIMER Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yeah sorry man i'll give you a call tomorrow i'd swap the injectors first before anything else I've got a set here at the unityou can try

sam

8. 1600esi Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

i'm working wednesday thursday friday, can i come down on saturday evening? have you found the steelies and front shocks?

9. LIMER Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yeah mate i fetched them down last night :Smile:

10. 1600esi Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

definetly for an EG?? much appreciated mate, most likely pick them up on saturday, io have to change the fronts to get the steelies on otherwise the front bumper will rip off lol, also need to take my back JDM lights off,... missions lol i might leave the side skirts on there

11. -Jamie- Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

dude... read wat i just posted...

12. dart Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

i had a problem with starting, could smell the fuel and it wouldn't fire. had to leave it for 5 mins before trying again. came to the conclusion i have a faulty o2 sensor and when i checked the timing, it wasnt far off atal, cambelts due for a change tho me thinks

13. 1600esi Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

sorry mate, i read what youve put, just got in from work, wouldn't start :-( i'm getting spark etc etc not done a compression test, but i given up the cars going soon!! appreciate your help though bud, thanks.

14. -Jamie- Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

u selling it?

15. 1600esi Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

gonna break it