Electrical & Lights SRS airbag light remains on.

Discussion in '9th Generation (2012-2017)' started by Piradose, Monday 8th Apr, 2019.

1. Piradose Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

My car was involved in an incident on the offside behind the drivers door, the side curtain and drivers seat air bags were deployed along with the seat belt pretensioner. I have replaced these Items and had the crash data removed but the SRS airbag light remains on. I have had the system tested and it all passes, no error codes, so I am at a loss as to what could still be wrong. Has anyone come across this before or can suggest any other ideas that I can check.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Piradose

2. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It seems odd that you get the SRS warning light but no error codes. Is the diagnostic equipment definitely able to read this generation Honda SRS error codes?

3. Piradose Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am told it can, it's a Foxwell NT644 pro UK version that gets regular updates. I was hoping I was just missing something simple like a reset somewhere.

4. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I guess you've tried disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes or so?

5. Piradose Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have now fully charged the battery overnight, whilst on the car, but not disconnected for that amount of time, only 5 or 10 mins. I'll give than a go. It has to be something :Smile:

6. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

@Zebster the other thread has been dealt with. Thank you for letting us know.

Zebster and Piradose like this.
  7. Piradose Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have fully charged the battery and left it disconnected for 2 hours but it has not made any difference. I have measured the resistances of the replacement parts and get different reading drivers seat airbag is 2.2 ohms, drivers seat belt pre-tensioner is 2.0 ohms and side curtain airbag is 2.1 ohms could these slight differences in resistances cause the light to stay on but not give any error codes.?

8. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I doubt it, as the absolute resistance differences are within what you might expect from manufacturing tolerances and connector variance.

9. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

Silly question... but does it need resetting by plugging into a HDS and erasing any existing codes stored.

10. Piradose Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes I made up some resistors to the exact value and it's still the same.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Yes, I'm coming to that conclusion but I don't have access to a HDS. Most people say that ones on eBay don't work with Civics so I'm vary about buying one. The car has no tax or MOT so I can't take it anywhere. . Any advice on where to get a working HDS from would be appreciated.

11. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think your best bet would be to start a separate thread asking if anyone in your area with a HIM/HDS could come round and perform diagnostics for you (maybe also do the same on Civinfo). If I remember correctly, you enter the VIN into the HDS before connecting, so hopefully compatibility could be established at an early stage.

Piradose likes this.
  12. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Check the connectors. One of the connectors on my Accord is loose and randomly triggers the air bag lights to come on.

Piradose likes this.
  13. Piradose Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Update - issue now resolved. Had the SRS unit rechecked and the light now turns off, so all good. They put a different overlay in the unit.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.