spark plug gaps!

Discussion in '5th Generation (1992-1995)' started by snowy, Saturday 12th Dec, 2009.

1. snowy Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

just about to check them as my car has been running slightly funny,

its a 1.5 lsi SOHC non VTEC. can somebody check a manual for me and find out the recommended gap? or can somebody recommend off the top of their head? I have no manuals yet thats all thank you!

2. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

just buy new ones from halfords or motorfactors, they are pre gapped, if it runs funny then change the plugs along with the filters and oil and also the leads if you got the money

3. snowy Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

its had new leads and plug recently so was just gonna check they are ok really, it runs perfect but cuts out at lights n stuff. the revs drop and it revs itself to about 1000 then comes back down and cuts out. however its not always this happens I just went to the shops and it cut out on the way at lights. then on the way back it sat at lights fine! Just want to know whats up with it lol

4. 1600esi Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

idle control valve possibly needs cleaning out.

5. murgy Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

when mine was a d15b2 it used to cut out after a trip on a dual carraige way lol might be the idle control valva maybe

6. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd imagine so mate. The plug gaps woulnt cause a sporadic poor idle like tour explaining

7. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Clean out the throttle body, stick some redex in there

8. Glenno Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeh i was going to say that its not necessarily the plugs. They usualy cause problems at higher revs youd notice it "running funny". The idle valve control is worth having a look at, if the dizzy and rotor arm are still original check them too for contact but its much more likely the idle control. If don't have a Haynes manual go to your local library and take it out for a few weeks for free. saves you 20

9. snowy Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

yeh thanks guys, I knew it wouldn't just be the plugs but the car needs a few bits so was going to go over the smaller things first and get them all tip top! just wondered what the recommended gap is, I found online a site saying it should be between 1mm - 1.1mm if that helps anybody else? Thanks 'twisted' but I put a bottle of redex through it last week, problem is still ocurring although I guess it can only of helped! :Smile: any other products I should look at? I noticed carb cleaner, engine flush, or are they all more or less the same?

Going to take a look at this idle control valve anyway a few other people have mentioned checking that to me, however the cutting out is not all the time its only everyother time I drive the car, could this still be a problem with that part? or would it always not work if it was that?

10. omp Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

your looking at the main sensors, IACV is deffinateley first port of call, i used wynns carb cleaner, fuck me that shit bubbles when its inside your IACV so you know its cleaning it