Engine & Gearbox Spark plug debate copper or irdium

Discussion in 'Honda K-Series' started by honda_saj, Saturday 5th Jan, 2019.

1. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    currently honda have switched most new cars to irdium which conducts far less than silver or copper spark plugs which only last around 20k compared to irdium which get hotter and last around 60k.
    I am looking to go copper as i don't mind changing my spark plugs every 20k
    k24 manufacturer irdium: NGK IZFR6K11
    k24 replacement copper: NGK ZFR6K-11

lets see what others opinions are on copper or irdium ?

SayamaAccord likes this.
  2. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Cliff County Durham
    I've used both and didn't notice any difference. To me the reason for using copper plugs would be the lower cost. At the end of the day though I'd personally end up using the ones the owner's manual tells me to.

Like you I don't use genuine Honda everything such as oil and brake fluid and MTF. But there are certain parts where as I see it I'd be crossing the line to go non-OEM or not follow the owner's manual and for me plugs are one of those.

honda_saj likes this.
  3. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

interesting both spark plugs are same temps the only difference is conductor material copper is a known better conductor than irdium the only reason manufacturers use irdium is to get 60k interval, personally they also recommend oil changes at 20k which i would never do 6k max is enough for new oil and filter.

4. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes I agree about intervals written to impress fleet managers that buy a lot of cars and have maintenance budgets but aren't concerned about longevity and as a rule of thumb I usually halve the intervals. So if your point is what Honda says about everything isn't always 100% best for everyone I agree but it depends on the context. Intervals are a different thing to parts themselves IMHO, long term I think cost of three sets of copper plugs about the same as one set of iridiums and three changes is more time and hassle, so copper maybe if you're not keeping the car long. Didn't realise about the conductivity although I didn't notice any difference. At the end of the day though we all choose what works for us regardless of advice.

I know most people use MTF 3 but I've always gone my own way a bit with gearbox oil which dates back to the days 20 years ago when some Honda dealerships used motor oil in manual gearboxes based on Honda owners manual recommendations at that time and got crunchy changes. But Adam only mentioned ATF & CVT and it's been well known for years how fussy they are so personally I only ever used genuine Honda in the CVT on my wife's car because I think aftermarket then is a genuine risk. To be honest with antifreeze transmission fluid etc. I don't personally find genuine Honda any more expensive. I think to save money avoid depreciation as much as possible and save thousands but the odd few quid on service items is neither here or there. Particularly when you save a bundle doing your own servicing anyhow.

Last edited: Saturday 5th Jan, 2019
    honda_saj likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    My only reason for remaining with Iridium is the that they deliver a finer sharper spark than copper plugs (bigger fatter spark), coupled with the hotter running, this is better for LPG.

I still remove and inspect the Iridium plugs at each service, the reason being with the Iridiums running hotter there is always a possibility of the damage or failure. So a visual inspection even when you know they have another 40K left in them is a must.

For you @honda_saj switching to copper will be fine.

honda_saj likes this.
  6. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Saj mentioned them running at the same temperature. Confused.com LOL

If they run hotter then personally I'd want plugs running at the plug temperature Honda designed the engine around, so I stick with the manual for things like plugs.

honda_saj likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

We agree that Iridium and Platinum conduct less the Copper, yes?

Conducting less means resisting more. More resistance = greater heat.

honda_saj and SayamaAccord like this.
  8. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

irdium run more hotter than copper as they don't conduct is same way hope that clears all up :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    @SpeedyGee my understanding that for lpg going one colder was better
    From sparkplugs.co.uk ?
    For this reason it may help to reduce the spark plug gap by 0.2mm. If spark plugs become prone to overheating, potentially resulting in damage, then it may be necessary to replace with plugs one grade colder. There are LPG specific plugs in production by both Denso and NGK, these are more expensive than standard Iridium plugs but the benefits should result in an overall cost saving due to increased service life and improved economy

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 6th Jan, 2019
    SayamaAccord likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

I can't remember to be honest but the Iridium plus run just fine with LPG. No one bothers with the so-called specific LPG ones. The gap reduction is only necessary on the copper ones.

honda_saj likes this.
  10. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fair enough yes i am aware gap adjustment only done on copper not on irdium plugs :Smile:

Last edited: Sunday 6th Jan, 2019
  11. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Indeed I am

honda_saj likes this.
  12. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ooops It should have read i am aware (i know you already know this lol)

13. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

My kind of typo

giphy.

honda_saj likes this.
  14. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    @honda_saj Agree you change your spark plugs and oil before the required service interval. However you do a lot of London driving (I don't like London driving) where it's chaotic, constant stop start, sitting in traffic 90% of the journey etc so I would say Irdium plugs. I think copper would wear more.
    That's my opinion from a non technical side lol

honda_saj likes this.
  15. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes i prefer to change parts before they reach end of life, london is start stop and long idling times. Copper will be more effecieint and more than happy to replace every 15 to 20k i would tie in with my 3rd or 4th oil change :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Spark plug symbol codes

Denso Symbol Code
    It is possible, with care, to decode the construction of Denso sparkplugs. This can help in identifying suitable replacement parts from Denso or even equivalent from other manufacturers. We would not recommend using this as your sole method of identifying replacement parts unless you are confident in using the decode.
    Below is Denso's spark plug part number decode. This applies to standard copper, platinum and Iridium power plugs. If you find it difficult to read, click on the code to open in a larger window. You may need to click again to zoom in depending on your web browser.

denso_specs.

NGK Symbol Code
    It is possible, with care, to decode the construction of NGK spark plugs. This can help in identifying suitable replacement parts from NGK or even equivalent from other manufacturers. We would not recommend using this as your sole method of identifying replacement parts unless you are confident in using the decode. Below is NGK's spark plug part number decode. This applies to standard copper and platinum plugs. There are additional decodes available for NGK US specification plugs.

ngksparkplug.

Cha mpion Symbol Code
    It is possible, with care, to decode the construction of Champion sparkplugs. This can help in identifying suitable replacement parts from Champion or even equivalent from other manufacturers. We would not recommend using this as your sole method of identifying replacement parts unless you are confident in using the decode. Below is Champion's spark plug part number decode. This applies to standard copper and platinum plugs. If you find it difficult to read, click on the code to open in a larger window. You may need to click again to zoom in depending on your web browser.

champion.

DrSam and SpeedyGee like this.
  16. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    For my B16A2 and my H22A7 I just use standard copper plugs and change them every 20,000 miles or 2 years. For my wife's R18A2 in her 8th Generation Civic it only specs iridium ones. I've just changed them at 80,000 even though Honda say change them at 100,000.

I change the oil every 6,000 or annually too, I can't see how leaving oil in for 20,000 is any good for the engine.

honda_saj likes this.
  17. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good points thanks, im going to change to copper as not greatly impressed with irdium i recently fitted its easy enough to do and i can do myself :Wink:

Last edited: Tuesday 8th Jan, 2019
  18. alank24 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alan Reading
    is it ok to run the 2.4 on copper plugs? i was under the impression it was a no no! so next time i change mine i can replace my NGK Iridium's for the cheaper NGK ZFR6K-11 ?

learn something everyday on here !

honda_saj likes this.
  19. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You can run any engine on copper plugs as long as you are prepared to change around 20k not 60k to 100k as irdium plugs will last.

20. alank24 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alan Reading
    oh didnt know that i only ask because i have seen so many conversations about the k24A3 only running on NGK iridiums and copper plugs you will have problems etc etc ... thanks for that saj

are the NGK ZFR6K-11 copper plugs torqued up to 13 lb. ft still ?

honda_saj likes this.