Tools Some new tools

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by Heckler, Sunday 23rd Dec, 2018.

1. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

My health hasn't been great these last few years. I've gone from crawling over and under cars to not being able to do much at all due to a nasty back issue that causes these horrible spasms.

On top of that, I've developed arthritis in a few joints, and because I had two thirds of my stomach removed a few years ago.. I'm not allowed to take any kind of anti inflammatory meds... and guess what they treat arthritis with... Yup... the very same meds.

As a result.. I'm not really able to do much work on the car... so this year I've tried to save up and buy a few tools to make it easier... I can't even change a wheel FFS.

Well... I can now. :Smile:

Impact sockets... I know they don't look like them.. But these have a thin outer poly shell... to stop the risk of damage to alloy wheels... 5 sizes in 5 different colours... Oooooh.. SHINY!!!!
    2018-12-23 19.37.03. 2018-12-23 19.37.53.

I then bought a Makita impact wrench, to go with my cordless drill/driver set and batteries... Only to find that my Makita batteries are G series and the Impact wrench is LTX. (Which is why it's up for sale).

So I ended up buying this one instead, it wasn't expensive... and it's corded. But at least I can get those wheels off when I need to... Providing I'm at home that is. :Smile:

2018-12-23 19.38.48.

Then finally I picked up some impact adaptors... so my little Makita impact driver can take small sockets. It's not gonna be powerful enough for big nuts/bolts... But little stuff will be fine.

2018-12-23 19.39.01.

Total cost was less than £70.

Last edited: Sunday 23rd Dec, 2018
    Nighthawk likes this.
  2. Nighthawk Club Moderator Club Staff

Its one of the tools I still want to get - an impact wrench

3. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    @Heckler An impact is one of the best tools you can get, stubborn nuts and bolts come off easy (sometimes snaps too :Tongue:)

4. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Impact gun is an absolute must if you are regularly doing work on your car. Luckily my homemade air compressor is still going strong, so I have an air impact gun and air ratchet.

5. Nighthawk Club Moderator Club Staff

I've got an air compressor so need to decide against an electric one or an air one. I don't use my tools on a regular basis so sometimes its not worth powering up the compressor

6. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    The compressor needs to be quite beefy to be able to run air tools for a usable length of time, so I would say go electric (or cordless).

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

A friend of mine bought one of those little compressors you sometimes see on sale in Lidl... We were breaking a car one day and it just couldn't keep up. he then tried using it for spray painting and it was spitting out far to much water. Fine for painting a wall in a house with water based paints... No good for anything else.

Given what it cost him for that and all the tools he bought... £45 for an impact wrench is a bargain.