Slow electric windows

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by Stu., Thursday 12th Nov, 2009.

1. Stu. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've got a couple days off work so thought I'd try and sort out my slow windows.

Sometimes they seem to free themselves and do actually work as they should.

What I want to know is what is the problem likely to be? I don't want to go taking bits apart if I'm probably going to have to buy new motors or whatever, as I don't really have the money to be doing that.

2. Gunter Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

old window rubbers, get some interior cleaner on all the rubber seals and it should go a bit smoother, this resistance eventually knackers the window regulator teeth or the motor itself.

3. Andy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Silicone spray on the rubbers should help, but would be even better on the runners themselves... helped a lot on my EJ9 as the passenger side was slow as fook.

4. sie2050 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

get yourself a can of silicone spray grease take door card off and spray the shit out of any white plastic part and all of the mechanisms put door card back on

job done

peace

-si-

5. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When you're doiung that, check your runners as well, that they're not like mine and that the rubber hasn't tucked under itself which'll make your window pop out every so often. My driver side window is such a cunt... :Frown:

6. Stu. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers I'll check that when I get round to it. Hopefully the weather will let me do it before I go back to work Tuesday. Had a similar problem with the rubber pushing the window out of line on an old car, and yes it was a cunt, especially when it rained.

7. SeanEK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

If you leave it too long the window will eventually come off the runners, both my windows done this so as a temp fix i used silicone to join the windows to the runners again but the problem may come back again due to the seal breaking. Apparantly ill need to use specific glass sealant stuff.

8. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

silicone spray works wonders

9. pickles2010 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

good old lube works wonders!!!

10. nafanh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i have this problem... been meaning to fix it for weeks. its zoo annoying and embarrassing when your window literally takes a minuet to go back up and sounds like a dying hamster....

Thats a job for the weekend :Smile:

11. nafanh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i have this problem... been meaning to fix it for weeks. its zoo annoying and embarrassing when your window literally takes a minuet to go back up and sounds like a dying hamster....

Thats a job for the weekend :Smile:

12. EK_Anubis Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

this is sweet advice mine are definately getting slower!!

13. jdm-mike Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

like they say you can never have to much lube.

14. Shadowdemon88 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

thank god for that, my drivers side window always pops out if i put it to low. thought it might be something to do with the window frame bein out of shape.

well i'll give the silcone spray a go and see what happens. thanks guys

15. Bon Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I tried silicon spray last winter, shit sucks, it dries up after a day. I used WD40 and it worked fine....

16. civic_bitch Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Its gotta be a HONDA thing, lol :Grin:

All 3 of my Civics have done this and as soon as they sorayed they are spot on... Then week later.... tick..... tock....tick.... tock :Frown:

17. andy-g_lfc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've got a passenger side motor if anyone needs it??