Civic/7th Gen [Sky Cut in Two] EP2 Project

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by Taz., Wednesday 11th Aug, 2010.

1. Taz. Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Random topic title.

I know very little about the fundamentals of motor technology. The benefits, the differences and etc. But I'm beginning to learn slowly, however my time is short as it is, especially as University is about to start again. I'll need a lot of help and discuss certain aspects of changes of modifications when the time comes, but before I begin with all the enhancements, I need to bring it up to standards as the previous owner didn't quite look after the car. It didn't occur to me at the time as I was a bit too excited and was a bit careless and reckless, but I don't regret on the purchase, I mean, its my first car after all.

[​IMG]

I have a lot planned and money never bothers me. Bear with me for this project! It may take its time, ha. So again, not quite a project build yet, but soon.

To do List

Clutch Replacement - Some bearings are loose and sounds horrible, especially through 1st gear and second. This will set me back around £700-800.

Air Conditioning - Supposedly something is preventing the cold breeze from coming out, need a further investigation and no idea on cost.

General Body work - There's a few scratches and paint work seems to be fading in certain areas, or rather the impression of a cheap job was done after a crash of some sort. Absolutely no idea on a respray cost.

Tint work damaged - Not VERY noticeable but it can be when your investigating closely. So will need to get that sorted when I can.

Raise the exhaust - Not pleasant at all to hear the scratching sound when you pass over a bump slowly...

Question, is it really worth me modifying an EP2? And if so, how far really? And at what mileage is considered best to sell? I will most likely get the Type-R in a few years. Not sure how much a 2 years no claim will reduce the insurance on one of those, may need to check. And if its within budget, preferably less than 3k then I may buy it next year. Please note, I've only been driving a few months but my insurance company gives me 1 years no claim in half a year, pretty good to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 11th Aug, 2010
  2. TobasB Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Looks good, you any more pics, can't wait for progress!

3. Bong Guest

Why will a clutch set you back £700-£800?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No its not worth modding an EP2 for anything more than looks and even then its debatable. Performance modifications will do nothing for the car

4. Taz. Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ha, cheers bud, even though its at its average state. Will add more pics mate! :Smile:

The release bearings or whatever they are are loose and sounds dreadful! I want it replaced/fixed whatever and Honda quoted me around £700-800. I also went down to the local garage and they advised me to buy a second hand gearbox and a new clutch kit for them to replace it completely and it turns out the labour and the cost of additional products would be roughly of the same value. D:

I agree on enhancing the performance on the EP2, I suppose it isn't that worth it at all. And as for appearances, I'm contemplating heavily... maybe I could do some minor things? I mean, I am still new to driving and probably won't let the car go till at least a year or around 80/90k miles achieved. Hmmm :/

5. Bong Guest

The release bearing is part of a clutch kit, a clutch kit is what, £200? So they are charging you £500-£600 to fit it? Come on thats absolutely mental!

2.2 VTI Prelude, genuine Honda clutch kit inc bearing, £180, fitting £100 if I remember rightly, might have been £120

You are going to the wrong places

6. Taz. Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh jesus! I just thought even after speaking to some local garages and they quoted the price was roughly around the same as Honda Dealers it would be quite okay... *Freaks out* What to do BONG!? WHAT TO DO!? ): Where to go!? *Dives out a window*

7. Remould Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

It's probably the gearbox bearings on the way out mate. The noise is usually more noticeable in 1st and 2nd apparently.

I'm not saying that you're clutch isn't at fault also, but some lads have had problems with their EP2's gearbox from as little as 30K miles...

And even though Mr Bong says that "its not worth modding an EP2 for anything more than looks and even then its debatable. Performance modifications will do nothing for the car", don't listen to him, with the mods i've done to my car i've had it round the track faster than a standard DC2, EK9, S2000 and an EP3.

If you're thinking of getting a EP3 in a year or two, i'd say maybe limit the mods to suspension upgrades, that way you can transfer them over to the new car and used the money you've saved up for some decent engine mods. It's expensive to get more power from the D16...

I look forward to seeing the updates! :thumbs:

Steve

8. talldarkrandom Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

couldn't you just swap the engine in this? although i never heard of anyone doing so except for the might b18 ep on this forum... but ep's can look amazing with little mods to be fair so its worth buying a few exterior mods and making the car generally clean.... a clean car makes the value of the car drop less

9. maj1nboo Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ah ha but bong what the honda garage will do is strip down the entire gearbox and replace all bearings and maybe syncros 1-5 which due to labour prices will be around 7-800 quid and a backstreet garage won't want to entertain it which is why they quote high! Prelude engines and ep engines are completely different and Preludes are alot easier to remove and refit. Taz a second hand box may be the easier cheaper fix although will not be permanent! as for modding it its your car do what u like buddy!

10. Bong Guest

Woah wait a minute, I think we are getting our wires crossed here. I'm not talking about gear box bearings. I'm talking about the clutch release bearing which makes a groaning noise when engaging the clutch, nothing else. Gearbox bearings make a high pitched mechanical whining noise that get louder as the revs climb