Suspension, Steering and Brakes shacking at speed 50 to 60 MPH

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by jimmbo852, Tuesday 20th Aug, 2019.

1. jimmbo852 New Member Getting Started

Hi all
    I have recently bought a 2007 CR-V cdti. there is a wobble feeling between 50 and 60 MPH and feels worse the hard you accelerate.
    I am presuming it is the CV joint.
    after reading a few posts it seems like after market ones don't seem to fix the problem leaving you with one option to buy Honda ones.
    does anyone know if there are any decent aftermarket makes? would fitting hole new aftermarket drive shaft sort it or is it not worth is and bight the bullet and get the Honda CV joints?

cheers James

2. Mr Honda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Dublin
    Swap your rear tyres to the front to eliminate a wheel balance issue, if still happening, get and alignment done and then last resort will be CV joint or wheel bearing or driveshaft.

3. MattBeardless Service Team H-Tune Staff

I'd agree with @Mr Honda and look to diagnose that certainly as CV, though it sounds like it. If you can, check for verticle play in the driveshafts. As far as aftermarket CVs are concerned, I've never been overly impressed with any of the none-genuine ones I've used on my MB6 (it liked to eat them due to being so low-that isn't a sales pitch). If you drop us an email to sales@h-tune.co.uk with your reg, we should be able to get part numbers and prices for you from Honda, and supply them for less than dealers can supply them to you for.

Regards. :Smile:

4. jimmbo852 New Member Getting Started

thank you both for your reply's. I am having two new tyre's fitted tomorrow so will see if the new balancing helps. I will also get the alignment done at the same time for peace of mind.
    I had a mechanic have a quick look at the car as I was having same other bits changed and he said he could see a bit of play in on the drivers side shaft.
    its not unbearable as it only happens between 50 and 60 bit it is a bit annoying on slower roads. I noticed this morning the shacking is worse once you have driven a few miles and warmed everything up. at cold it is faint wobble but when the engine is up to temp it is very noticeable.

MattBeardless likes this.
  5. goldingwebb New Member Getting Started

Hi Guys,

I'm having the same problem. It's shaking between 50-55 mph under acceleration, regardless of being in 4th, 5th or 6th.
    If you come off the power between 50-55 it stops shaking. Mine is a 2012 and done 76,000.

Be interested to hear how you get on.

6. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

No one has said if this shaking can be felt through the steering, and if it's only a shaking/vibration when you get above a specific speed and there are no other noises at lower speed... Wheel bearing and CV would also have a grinding component to them.

Jack the corner of the car up, have a good yank on the wheel, push, pull in all directions... look for movement in the joints and on the suspension bushes... Chances are it's just in need of a re-balance as a weight has fallen off.

Easiest thing to do is swap wheels around and check again... and whilst you're at it, check each tyre for uneven wear... Could just need tracking and balancing doing.

Eliminate the simplest thing first before worrying about the possibility of an expensive repair.

andy83 likes this.
  7. jimmbo852 New Member Getting Started

hi all again. soooo I had two new tyres fitted, wheels balanced and had the alignment done. but unfortunately it made no effect on the shacking.
    there is not sound or grinding to the problem apart from things in the cabin clattering with the shacking. the shacking only happens between 50 and 60 MPH no matter what gear your in. the shacking is worse when the car has been driven for around 5 miles.
    its not a light shacking either its quite hard. I feel it most in the peddles / foot well, you can feel it in the steering but not as much.