Service & Maintenance Service

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by uncleGravy, Sunday 14th Jul, 2019.

1. uncleGravy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Gravy South East
    So my CU2 K24 is due a service, my first service with it as I've only owned it for little over a year.

Just got a quote from my trusted indie garage for a full service (Filters, sparks, oil) for £300....£300?!?!?!?!? That seems very expensive.

So ok, I'll go the do it myself route since the car will now remain in the family for years to come like our old 7th CL7 did, According to Eurocarparts and CarParts4less, they don't sell sparks or air filters for my car xD.

Another shocking discovery, had a gander on ebay for service kit for my car, Air filter, oil filter and sparks....£110 and that's without oil...What?

Is our K24 engine THAT expensive to maintain?? Maybe i'd understand if it was a high performance K20A.

Also for those who do their own servicing, where do you get your parts from as ECP and CP4L have let me down.

2. uncleGravy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Gravy South East
    GSF to the rescue, Sparks, air & oil filter with discount code, £47.45, that's better.

What I've discovered though is the spark plugs seem to be the main culprit for why a service is so expensive, like £20 a plug, My old Z4 with the M54B30 engine the sparks cost less and I needed 6 of them.

Anyway, how many litres of oil does my car take?

3. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Cliff County Durham
  4. uncleGravy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Gravy South East
    Cheers for that very helpful, my car is on 83k miles and I do like to rev it out frequently, shall I stick with Honda's recommendation of 0-20 oil, or something else based on my driving style?

5. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

John Hamer likes this.
  6. John Hamer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
  7. uncleGravy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Gravy South East
    Cheers for the help fellas

8. aznspidey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom TN London
    Definitely stick to Honda made 0w-20 oil for your car.
    Another good place for honda parts is coxmotorparts.co.uk

9. k20a3 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yes they are iridium plugs. I replaced mine not too long ago with genuine OEM ones.

10. uncleGravy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Gravy South East
    I'll be getting all the stuff next payday, Something else I should probably ask since my car is now over 83k miles.

Gearbox oil change, How many miles/years is this typically done, I haven't had a look at the service book for a while but i'm going to suspect it's never been changed, Probably going to get it done as well just so I know it's done and fingers crossed it sorts out the issues I have changing into gear at high RPM driving.

At the moment i have intermittent issues where taking the car up to redline it'll sometimes be nigh on impossible to change up a gear no matter how much force I push on the stick until the revs drop low enough, and other times you get great satisfaction as the gearstick slides sweetly into the next gear and lose yourself in that VTEC goodness.

11. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

From memory I think it's 6 years or 72k maximum although some people do it more often. Amsoil MTF and Redline MTL are fully synthetic alternatives to Honda MTF III which is a mineral gear oil.

12. uncleGravy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Gravy South East
  13. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't think those are the right ones for the 8th Generation 2.4.

14. uncleGravy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Gravy South East
    Why's it listed as compatible if it's not the right plugs for a CU2?

15. uncleGravy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Gravy South East
    Ah i've just gone ahead and purchased genuine stuff from Hondaparts247, £154 still sounds a lot better than £300+ from a garage.

Nels likes this.
  16. Denso23 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    the honda OEM parts are good quality for sure.

for k24 the engine oil i have been using castrol 0w-30. it works very well with good performance and MPG

17. Nels Community Staff Club H-Tune

United Kingdom JD Home
    Yes, the engine will run with this. However,

0W-20 is what is recommend by Honda and should deliver better MPG.
    2nd choice is 5W-30.

18. Denso23 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    in the car handbook, Honda does recommend 0w-30. however only in countries with more severe conditions.

my car sometimes is driven hard so i buy this. its my interperation only!

Also the K24Z3 engine sometimes have oil consumption issues so its worth using slighlty thicker oil. their is a honda TSB for the Acura TSX

19. Nels Community Staff Club H-Tune

United Kingdom JD Home
    Fair enough. If you've got consumption issues, the 5W-30 may be a better option.