Engine & Gearbox Second opinion please

Discussion in 'Honda F/H-Series' started by Zimerframe, Sunday 1st Dec, 2013.

1. Zimerframe Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So I was planning on doing a b16a2 engine swap, and was chatting to my mate about gettig help with it. Then he threw the idea of putting a Prelude engine in there. Any opinions?

2. harVTEC Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It would be a H22 powered Civic, in my opinion.

3. SpamGorge Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Before the keyboard warriors descend on your vague question of opinion. Don't do it until you've checked the insurance first. You may end up paying a lot more for the privilege. Unless you plan on driving it when you turn 25

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 1st Dec, 2013
  4. Zimerframe Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm not toooo fussed about cos of insurance. I know someone who works for admiral and can get me a lower price for whatever, so I'm not really concerned

5. SpamGorge Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Its more expensive, either you get custom mounts to fit, or you get an adapted kit to use a b series gearbox. Lots of money involved compared to a standard b series swap.

Personally I'd buy an mb6 or mc2 as a donor car and swap it all over, engine, gearbox, brakes, ARB, and ancillarys. Cheapest way to b series and VTEC. Plus its a b18c4 and has an LSD gearbox

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 1st Dec, 2013
  6. Site Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i wouls go h22...why not have the extra power and torque...might xost a bit extra though!

7. Zimerframe Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is it worth it though? I've never been in a Prelude. And I'm still debating whether to turbo :Grin:

8. Peteioz Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

All about the B series! H22 is a huge engine for the front of a Civic, heavy too

9. SpamGorge Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Defo turbo a b18c4 then 300hp easy

10. Zimerframe Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So many choices. Ah!

11. SpamGorge Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just get a tatty mb6, or wait for Ben to smash his up, it's bound to happen soon

12. Zimerframe Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ok this wins!

Hahahah! That's a good plan actually. Good ol Ben jamming!

13. Peteioz Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Drive a B16B and you'll fall in love with the B series engine :Smile:

14. Zimerframe Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well, I'm gonna have a while to decide! Having no monies :'(

15. Peteioz Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

B16A2 is a cheap swap, I did mine for about £800 including painting my bay, bear in mind that was doing all the work myself

16. Zimerframe Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's pretty sweet! But I've just started up a business with someone I know and it's gonna be a while till I have stable money!

17. Peteioz Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ahh right, good luck with everything :Smile: it wouldn't happen to be a wheel refurb business would it, because I need some wheels refurbing :Tongue:

18. SpamGorge Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

19. Young Leaf Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

never been in anything H series powered, but i loved my b16a2

20. naDiel Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Like everyone mentioned it is generally a heavy engine for a front of a Civic, but it has more power and tourqe 'out of a box' without need to strap a turbo on there.

Personally if I was to go H series that would have to be accord Type-R engine H22a7 FTW! A bit expensive though!

But again you would have to go custom mounts and that generally can cost as much as a decent lude engine nowadays...