Pre-Purchase Sat Nav thoughts

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Gazza, Wednesday 25th Sep, 2019.

1. Gazza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gazza Borough Green
    Hi All
    I am currently driving a 2009 2.2 I-DTEC Accord Tourer with which I tow a 1500kg Caravan with no problems at all including the DPF , In the summer we tour Europe for three weeks and find the built in Honda Navigation system brilliant very accurate and clear and easy to use. The time will come sooner or later when I will need a change and I’ve been looking at the 2016/17 1.6 CR-V EX with the Garmin Satnav built in but I’ve read mixed reviews on the Navigation system mostly negative. I have an up to date Garmin (stick on the screen) satnav which is ok but loses Satellites in tunnels were the one in my Accord doesn’t I would be interested in your thoughts
    Thanks

2. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    IMO the Garmin built-in system is nothing like as good as my stand alone Tom Tom. From my experience none of the built in sat navs from various car manufacturers is as good as the stand alone versions. A lot of people now use the various free versions on phone apps, e.g. Waze and the reports are that these are also better than built in systems. If my car hadn't had the built in sat nav as standard I wouldn't have specified it.

Keith

3. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

The satnav in your CR-V does lose the GPS signal as does anything else when you go through tunnels, under bridges or even when there are lots of tall buildings or mountains around you. But the computer is able to make predictions based on the last known position, speed and direction of travel... Hence how it keeps the icon on the screen moving.

Some software is better than others at doing this... I've never used a garmin, I've got the same satnav system as you in my 08 accord. But I do have in a drawer an old Tomtom 910 which is the big one with a 20GB built in hard drive. The maps are out of date from around 2011 now... but it still works and if I updated it would be fine.

But google maps works great too, and it's free... and with the android auto app works really well for navigation... the added benefit of congestion warnings is a huge selling point. Something the in car system doesn't have.

It's worth considering a car that allows screen mirroring with your phone... I don't know if the ICE in the new CR-V's does this. The ability to simply display your phones screen and it's satnav app on the screen is a great idea. Makes paying all that extra money for built in satnav systems kind of defunct. It's something that will certainly influence me in the future... not for some time mind you... My current car should see me through another few years yet.

4. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I agree with Heckler's comments. I would however caution that if you are going to use phone sat nav apps, beware the ones that use live data as this could easily eat up your allowance (depending on the contract you have with your phone company) and land you some big bills.

Keith

5. Sandy52 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    There is an excellent car satnav that allows you to download all the maps you need, for free, once installed you won't use any data.
    I have used mine in UK, and across Europe. "Here WeGo" maps for Ios and android phones. It has been around for years and was originally for Nokia phones but is now for most smart phones. On mine I have maps for UK, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany, France.

6. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

So long as you make sure your apps are up to date when on wifi and any specific map areas you have created (on google maps) are downloaded... the amount of data you use is minimal. We're talking kb for push notifications regarding traffic conditions. My £10 a month sim only deal has unlimited txts and calls and 3GB of data... I've never used more than a few hundred MB of it over the course of the month. I'm not streaming movies/tv because watching things like that on a phone is plain stupid... and I store music on the memory card of the phone to listen to because I refuse to pay for a music streaming service when I've got 30,000 songs I've ripped from my own CD's over the years.

but that's a rant about greedy companies trying to resell you the same crap over and over again and fragmenting the market to make it worse for the consumer instead of better.

7. Gazza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    As i have said I own a Garmin stand alone satnav and have had experience of Tom Tom devices in my works vans and neither of them is superior to the in built one in my Accord. For a start the inbuilt one has an input that measures distance travelled from the car and it has a built in Gyroscope that detects change of direction this is why when driving through Basel in Switzerland which is mostly in tunnels under the city with motorway intersections it knows exactly where we are and because the Garmin relies totally on satellite reception it cannot navigate
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hi
    As i have said I own a Garmin stand alone satnav and have had experience of Tom Tom devices in my works vans and neither of them is superior to the in built one in my Accord. For a start the inbuilt one has an input that measures distance travelled from the car and it has a built in Gyroscope that detects change of direction this is why when driving through Basel in Switzerland which is mostly in tunnels under the city with motorway intersections it knows exactly where we are and because the Garmin relies totally on satellite reception it cannot navigate

155695 likes this.
  8. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Matt Derby
    I can't lie, the system in the 8th Generation Accord is absolutely hopeless.

9. Gazza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well yours must be different from mine I think it's brilliant far better that the Garmin I use in my van The honda one has never let us down and that's driving all over Europe and towing a caravan

10. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

It's the same system as in the 7th Generation, which is decent enough if a little lacking in customisation.

11. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune Staff

It's more the daft little errors, for example, there's a junction on the A1 which it advises to turn off on after the slip road for the turnoff, resulting in a 4-mile detour...down a narrow country lane, which has worn away at the side, leading to major scraping in my CU3, as it's a tincy bit low.

12. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

Do you have up to date maps? I've found that some times things like that get corrected the following year as with discs it's impossible to release minor updates like they do with those stored on mem cards.

13. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune Staff

I don't, but that junction hasn't changed for donkeys.

14. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

yeah, but it's not the road that may have changed, it's the instructions in the software that are wrong from what you said.

15. Gazza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I agree as I've said it works brilliantly all over europe even in long tunnels Gottard for example 10 plus miles long and the Garmin has given up and lost reception.