ICE & HFT Sat nav died...

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by AccordMavman, Sunday 4th Aug, 2019.

1. AccordMavman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Cheshire
    Hi all,
    So my sat nav has conked and I’m wondering if it’s the disc or the DVD unit at fault. It happened mid journey and I got the error message attached in the pic. I’ve cleaned the disc (which is the original from 2007), which was dirty but it’s not made any difference. It does have a couple of very fine scratches on it but these haven’t stopped it working without any issue for my 5 years of ownership.

I’m thinking it’s probably the unit, but before I blow £170 in repair charges (BBA reman quote) , does anyone live in the Cheshire area who has a f/l 7th Generation with sat nav who wouldn’t mind me trying my disc in their car? I get this is a big ask but thought I’d put it out there anyway... HH have quoted @£200 for a new disc, I’m unsure of quality of discs being offered on eBay..

Thanks..

Attached Files:

2. PeteP Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Pete Canterbury
    I bought a brand new 2018 disc for £17 from eBay, to upgrade from the original 2007 version, and it works perfectly

AccordMavman likes this.
  3. AccordMavman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

That’s a great price. Is it a genuine Honda disc?

4. PeteP Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

5. AccordMavman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

This is great - thank you for this.

It’s reassuring to hear it works fine for you - I’m going to get one myself! Now I just have the small matter of getting the DVD unit repaired...:no:

Thanks again :Smile:

6. PeteP Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You're welcome and I hope it works for you too. Good luck with the repair.

7. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

It could be that the disc is faulty it could also be that the lens in have trouble reading the disc.

I've found that the slightest hint of condensation in the car will cause a dvd read error.. so I recommend getting some of those dehumdifier bags (1kg) and keeping them in the car and swapping them over every week or two... just dry one out on a radiator and swap them over again.

This eliminates virtually all condensation in the car and since using them I've never had the error pop up again on my old PFL model, and I used them in my current FL one and it's never happened in there.

It's also a pain to do.. but stripping down the dvd unit and cleaning the lens and regreasing the rails on a unit also helps.

So you might get a new disc and find the problem still exists... But at those prices (I got one myself last year) it's a good price and with mine I cannot find any reason to think it's not a real OEM disc... make sure it's the 'West' disc as I think these are old stock from the 2 disc euro sets they sold on mainland europe... one disc for east EU and another for west. Hence why the price is so cheap I think.

8. AccordMavman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    Thanks for this, really useful suggestions. Unfortunately stripping down the unit is beyond my limited capabilities so I wouldn’t be able to do this as I would more than likely break it in the process. I will try the dehumidifier bag and if that doesn’t cure it, a repair it will have to be.
    I’ve had a look at the discs that Pete P suggested and they defo look OEM, all the labelling on the discs looks identical to my existing disc
    and they are the West version too.
    Thanks again
    James

9. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

I'm going to be breaking an accord ex with satnav shortly... once the insurance has all been sorted. So I may have an entire system up for sale... TBH, I'd rather sell the entire unit than just the DVD drive on it's own as it's the head unit, dvd & GPS module.

andy83 and MattBeardless like this.