Body, Paint & Styling Rust on the Sunroof

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by AccordCU2, Thursday 18th Oct, 2012.

1. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    I have the same issue with mine. November 08, so less than a year out of the warranty deal,
    I have been in contact with honda ireland and this is what they are using against me, saying its outside of warranty, and they have no means because of this to recover the cost associated with replacing it for me.

In my emails, i have tried to be firm enough, but not sure how to push it now. The nearest honda dealer to me don't seem interested either.

Please keep us posted here as to how you get on, i may contact another dealer to see how i get on.

2. Kristian Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Norway Kristian Stokmarknes
    Wish I had been more proactive 2 years ago when this extended warranty/TSB was published by Honda. I only first noticed rust around my sunroof late November 2016, and sent a claim to Honda Norway immediately. They requested a lot of documentation to consider the case, full service history and annual rust checks had to be documented. I provided everything, and they got back to me last week offering to cover 50% of the part cost. I asked for a full quote showing the total amount I have to pay, as I had no idea how much work it is to replace in terms of labor cost. With 50% off the sunroof itself and 1 hour labor, total price quoted is £595. Money that I would much rather spend on something else, but the new sun roof will help maintain the car for many years to come. Honda could have said "sorry mac, out of warranty" and quoted me the full price. At least they showed some goodwill.

3. hondream Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    If you have full service history, I would of thought you have a case against the dealer for not spotting the problem.
    The dealer has a duty of care.
    Most dealers will stand there and lie to you that they have never heard of this issue.

Poor show all round.
    Honda made a mistake with the rusty sunroof, and you have picked up the bill.
    They could have written to owners advising owners to be vigilant.
    They're are happy to send out sales literature.

Mistakes happen, it's how an organisation deals with those mistakes that matters.
    If you are happy with the 50% offer then that's fine.

Kristian likes this.
  4. Kristian Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, I would definitely prefer the replacement to be covered in full, free of charge. I sent the dealer a request stating that this shoud have been spotted on service either in june 2015 (still under extended warranty) or june 2016 (post-warranty). Not sure whether dealers plain out lie that they have never heard about the issue, they might just be ignorant. Either way I agree with you, Honda could have handled the matter in a different way.

hondream likes this.
  5. hondream Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Believe me some of the dealers in the Uk lie.
    If they are not aware of it, then whats the point of having a Honda service history

honda_saj likes this.
  6. Kristian Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

New sunroof fitted last Friday, Honda covered 50% of the part cost. £470 in total with labor.

hondream and Nels like this.
  7. Nighthawk Administrator Staff Team

Just wanted to visit this - my CU2 came with rust on the sunroof, and I spent a Saturday afternoon fixing it myself. It is perfectly doable and is a DIY that hopefully I will stick in here soon.

8. Nighthawk Administrator Staff Team

9. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Superb Nighthawk; might give mine a go during the Summer

Nighthawk likes this.
  10. Nighthawk Administrator Staff Team

Good luck - seriously don't underestimate it - I would rather pull an engine and gearbox out of the car than do this again as thats honestly easier.

11. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Read what you wrote Nighthawk, and yeah, looks a pig; wonder if it might be worth looking for a replacement off a 2010+ Accord from a scrappy instead??

12. Nighthawk Administrator Staff Team

Its a heck of a lot less work - my fall back plan was to order one if I messed up the repair. The car wasnt going to be used for a few days so it didnt matter to me, but that was my fall back - to buy a replacement, so I had nothing to lose by trying.

13. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Good point ; think I'll sound out a few scrappys in the Spring, and see what's around; not too much of an issue at the moment, but I've definitely got the dreaded rust as you showed in you photo's (2009 EX-Tourer)

14. Nighthawk Administrator Staff Team

Yeah, prefacelifts had that issue. Mine wasnt leaking, so you have a fair bit of time to keep your eyes on scrappies. Tbh, if I did it again, I would replace it. I wouldn't even tackle it again - but if you want a challenge - feel free and have fun :Laughing:

15. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Scrapped it is then!!!