Daily Driver Ruby

7th Generation (2003-2008) vehicle added by RogerH69, Tuesday 4th Dec, 2018

1. RogerH69 Evangelist H-Tune Community

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    So, credit where credit is due - branch manager at Johnson's phoned me within 30 minutes of sending my email, regarding the dashcam. He explained that it is workshop policy to not have any recording inside the workshop for confidentiality purposes. As I work a lot with company data and customer data confidentiality I can understand how this is a concern.

Nowe, as this is standard policy, I can understand why the first thing the technician did when he got in the car was to look for a dashcam and turn it off. What I had an issue with was that nowhere in any communication with me, when booking the appointment, or when handing over the keys, was I told that they will look for and disable any dashcams in the car. I'm sure most car owners in my situation would not have an issue with the dashcams temporarily being turned off, as long as they were told beforehand, or at the time. In addition, I was sat there waiting for the car, so when the technician noticed the dashcam, they should have come to find me and ask if it's ok to turn it off.

Branch manager understood my point and said he will endeavour to ensure customers are made aware of their policy to dashcams or other recording devices in the workshop.

Just wondering if they have me on their books as a 'difficult' customer, as on both my previous experiences with them, I've had issues with what I saw on dashcam footage... Or maybe one of them saw my post here from yesterday, and that's why they knew straight away what cable to pull for the dashcam power :Grin: Ah well, I respect that the branch manager took the time to call me back personally so quickly and have a chat with me.

MattBeardless likes this.
  2. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune UK

United Kingdom Matt Derby
    Alarmingly, this is common. When I did Work Experience at a couple of dealerships some years ago now (during my Motor Vehicle Quals) this was something of a routine for GDPR purposes (i.e. you can't see who's car is in said workshop). I know it's said that Germans in-particular aren't quite as active with the use of dashcams as it's seen as an invasion of privacy.

In reality, it was said to me by multiple technicians that it was to hide whatever staff there may have said which could offend.

3. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune UK

United Kingdom Matt Derby
    Likely neither of these, but the latter would certainly be rather amusing :lol:

RogerH69 likes this.
  4. RogerH69 Evangelist H-Tune Community

Went by H-Tune yesterday and got oil, coolant and oil filter. This morning thought about getting the fluid and filter change done outside the house, but it was WAY too cold, so I went ahead and booked a few hours at This Is Your Garage (TIYG). Never used them before, so decided to take this opportunity to give them a try. Very glad I did, coz it started pouring with rain a couple of hours later. Thoroughly enjoyed myself at TIYG, and will definitely be using them again in future.

Much easier doing this kind of work when you're not freezing yer butt off lying on your back on the side of the street.
    20191109_103533.

While waiting for fluids to drain, I had a look around under the car, and I definitely think it;s time for some exhaust bits....
    20191109_104032.

20191109_104113.

20191109_104117.

20191109_104119.

Looking at the cat, I can see what's been scraping on speed bumps since lowering her LOL

When I'd done the coolant, oil, oil filter and got all the air out of the coolant lines (that took longer than I liked) I popped her onto a 2 poster and did rotated the wheels (MUCH easier this way :Grin:)
    20191109_133629.

I was there for just under 4 hours, and yes, I realize that's a long time for an oil and coolant change and wheel rotation, but I'm a noob at this :Grin:. The coolant change took the most time, as it took forever to drain out (I didn't want it to go too quickly, as it was going everywhere), and then I think I filled it too quickly, so got a lot of air bubbles in there, which took a while to clear out.

Dunno how much labour a garage woulda charged me for that, but I think it still worked out cheaper renting a bay at TIYG and doing it myself, even at my (slow) speed - plus it's all experience and practice....

MattBeardless likes this.
  5. RogerH69 Evangelist H-Tune Community

Knobhead truck driver (left hand drive, but that's no excuse) nearly took me out the other day. Doesn't even try to move to his lane when I hoot.

6. RogerH69 Evangelist H-Tune Community

As shown before, the PAC Fitting Kit I got comes with a handy lower pocket that replaces where the NAV DVD used to go. Though it comes with a USB plug installed already, it does look a little out of place, and the shiny plastic in the pocket looks real cheap.
    1481758_20191030_195714.

Following on the suggestion of someone on Facebook that got the same kit and headunit as me, I put some thin sticky backed foam on the bottom of the pocket which DOES make it look a little less cheap, and holds things better. However, I'm still not 100% happy with it.

So, I've decided I'm gonna try and re-install the trim piece that covered the NAV DVD
    20191115_201950.

What I've done is mount a spare USB plug kit (y'all have these lying around ya workshop spare as well, right ?) onto the top of the pocket, as so
    20191115_201957.

20191115_202005.

This way, when I have the USB thumb drive connected, it's hidden away nicely (and I don't see the little red flashing light on the end of the USB thumb drive)

The only issue with fitting this trim piece is that when removing the NAV headunit, I had to remove a small metal plate. or else the double DIN aftermarket headunit wouldn't fit, and this trim piece clips into place on that metal plate. What I've done, is to Dremel away a chunk of the metal plate, to hopefully make room for the aftermarket headunit. The modified plate is shown clipped onto make of the trim piece below
    20191115_202035.

Not sure if I cut away enough - will test fit tomorrow. If not, I'll just cut away more :Grin:

Last edited: Saturday 16th Nov, 2019 at 1:29pm
  7. RogerH69 Evangelist H-Tune Community

Did a quick test, and wasn't even close to enough cut away, so cut some more
    20191116_105051.

Another test fit, and still need to cut more....
    20191116_111840.

Test fit again, which is a REAL pain as the screws aren't easy to get to...
    20191116_112205.

You'd think that was enough, but no.... still more of the bracket needs cutting
    20191116_114503.

This is as much as I cat but before the bracket just starts folding in on itself
    20191116_115809. 20191116_115812.

And there the greatly mangled bracket is, back where it should be.
    20191116_121221.

Have to hold the bracket with one hand as I clip in the trim piece, or else the bracket will just bend :Messed:. But, its clipped in place nicely.
    20191116_121256.

As you can see, not much left to help the bracket keeps its form :Messed:
    20191116_121535. 20191116_121531.

Everything back together. Looks much better I think
    20191116_125344.

Easy access to the USB Port (yes, I know I can see inside the dash, but this is hardly ever open anyway
    20191116_125441.

When using Android Auto, flap is closed just enough to hide the gaping hope in my dash
    20191116_125614.

And when using USB, no flashing red light on the USB drive
    20191116_125738.

Last edited: Saturday 16th Nov, 2019 at 2:00pm
  8. andy83 Evangelist H-Tune Community

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate great to see all the work you keep doing to ruby :Smile:

RogerH69 likes this.