Daily Driver Ruby

7th Generation (2003-2008) vehicle added by RogerH69, Tuesday 4th Dec, 2018

1. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

Don't waste time getting anything with less than 2/3GB of memory... 3GB should be the minimum. Most of the units out there have really crappy partitioned storage that leaves you with very little room for any apps if the version of android won't allow you to move installed apps to what it regards 'external' storage. Google really fracked things up by removing that option to move apps onto other storage and most of those android based units use older versions... If it's not running Oreo or Pie... Don't touch it.

Since fitting the spoiler, the bootlid on mine is heavier and harder to lift... I may have to consider some stronger struts or something to counter act that.

RogerH69 likes this.
  2. haiduk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Very nice "Acura TSX" as we call them here. Clean.

RogerH69 likes this.
  3. RogerH69 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    - - - Updated - - -
    As it was a nice day I decided to give her a wash and a bit of a wax. She cleans up quite nicely methinks :Grin:
    20190413_120543. 20190413_120645.

As you can see, she's back on her EP3 wheels, while her FN2 wheels are being refurbed (should be collecting them on Wednesday). Gotta look into getting her door handles either wrapped, or painted to colour match, at which stage I can get the chrome trim around the door windows wrapped as well.

I still need to get round to treating her leather seats, coz they've never been done according to previous owner. Got the kit for it (used it on Prelude seats and it works great) but it's just a matter of getting round to doing it, as it's a good few hours work to do it right.

Wanting to enjoy the good weather, I whipped up a braai (barbeque) quick and thought I'd flame grill some boerewors.
    20190413_133946.

Actually came out pretty nicely :Grin:

Nels and Heckler like this.
  4. RogerH69 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

Got Ruby's wheels back from refurb and powder coating, and I'm real happy with the result. Oxford Performance Autos has done a great job yet again.
    20190417_184703. 20190417_184717. 20190417_185751.

I also received her Genuine Honda Jazz Mist Windscreen Washer Jets from H-Tune today and fitted them. They make a massive difference over the stock ones on the Accord. And Ruby now also has her first sticker (didn't take pic) - the H-Tune sticker that came with the washer jets :Grin:

5. RogerH69 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

So I ordered myself a TopNavi Android headunit (2GB RAM, 32GB Storage, Android 8.1) from China, which should arrive sometime before Xmas :Grin:

One of the reasons I like the idea of an Android unit is so I can run Torque Pro to show OBD info on a decent sized screen. I have an with this in that I am using a Conecta BlackVue Power adaptor in the OBD2 port at the moment (seeing as my seriously over priced hardwire kit didn't like it when I cranked the engine even though it was hardwired to battery feed as well).

If I want to use the OBD2 port with an ODB2 reader, then I'd have to rewire the dashcams to cigarette lighter and lose parking mode (reading back near start of this log, you'll see I had endless issues with hardwire kit working due to what I suspect is some hinky wiring). I then thought I'd see if I can get an OBD2 splitter, and lo and behold I can :Grin:

Got one of these on order, and should arrive this evening (gotta love Amazon same day delivery).

Took Ruby to get her aircon regassed yesterday and found the compressor's not turning, so hopefully it's just a fuse / relay that's gone, as I'm sure it used to work. Fans blow fine and demisting windscreen works, just no cold air.

6. RogerH69 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

A/C sorted. It was a dodgy relay. Got 2 spares from Motorist Discount Center around the corner to tide me over (a whole £10.70 for 2) while I consider getting a genuine one for probably 4 times the price.
    - - - Updated - - -
    LOL !!!!

£30 EXCLUDING delivery ?

I think I'll just get some more spares from MDC and keep them in the car

7. RogerH69 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

My TopNavi headunit arrived yesterday 3 weeks earlier than expected (after I had to pay a small fortune to Parcelforce in taxes), so went ahead and got it installed.

It was way more troublesome than when I put in the Scosche fascia and Pioneer head unit, even though the actual unit inside the dash is much smaller. In addition to the plastic part of the dash I cut off to install the Pioneer unit, this time I also had to cut away a 2 inch plastic lump (which seemed to serve no purpose) right at the back of the dash, as it was stopping the Topnavi from going in nicely. The gap between the fascia and the air vent section is even bigger now, even though everything is aligned as it should be. I'll have to find something to fill that gap...

Anyways, here's a bunch of pictures....

Before, with the extra screen for reverse camera, on top of the dash
    20190426_163758.

And then installed
    20190427_132409.

Lots of space for plugging in USB devices (probably gonna use a USB 4G stick / portable 4G wifi router in there at some stage)
    20190427_132438.

AC display, as well as popups when doors are open
    20190427_132450.

Buttons are irritatingly for a left hand drive car, and even though the settings seem to have a 'swap knobs' option, they do nothing. In addition, when door is open, the display shows door on opposite side of car. Once again, settings has option to 'swap doors' but this does nothing. Ah well, minor annoyance, that's all

Controls (dunno why there's 2 buttons to toggle fresh / recycled air....)
    20190427_132505.

Nice sized screen (methinks the portrait 12 inch Tesla style would be too big)
    20190427_165522.

Yup, it's Android and doesn't have an internal battery (or use car battery in 'trickle mode' like some others), so has to boot up everytime. Not too slow though
    20190427_165533.

RDS Radio (supports DAB+, but I need to get a USB adaptor for that - cba...)
    20190427_170616.

I use Jet+ Music Player, instead of the built in (VERY BASIC) music player
    20190427_170631.

Ahhhhh decent sized navigation - perfect for old farts like me with dodgy eyesight
    20190427_170720.

And 10 glorious inches of reverse camera picture :Grin:
    20190427_172504.

So... initial impressions are that yes, it's not as fast / fancy as the expensive Pioneer unit I had, and build quality may not be as good as the Scosche + Pioneer setup, but it's WAY more functional than the OEM Sat Nav + XCarlink setup, and I can configure it as much as I like.

8. RogerH69 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

I was feeling particularly brave today, so decided to go ahead with my steering wheel swap on Ruby. I was told that it's simply a matter of "cutting plug from CL9 steering wheel and matching it to matching colour wires on FN Civic steering wheel"... Seems easy enough (well it is except for the daunting part of also having to "move airbag ignitor from Accord steering wheel airbag to FN Civic steering wheel" Erm.... that's like a detonator yeah ? Sure thing, what could possibly go wrong :Grin:

So cut plug from CL9 steering wheel (no turning back now Roger...)
    20190428_111658.

As well as Civic steering wheel
    20190428_111706.

And this is hte CL9 plug that I'll connect to Civic steering wheel
    20190428_111717.

Half way (doing a proper job with solder, heat shrink wraps etc.)
    20190428_120133.

And it's done and back in the steering wheel
    20190428_131221.

And back on the car
    20190428_135259. 20190428_135320.

I like it :Grin:

Took it for a drive and all SWC and Cruise Control buttons work nicely, as does the hooter. No SRS light on dash, so I assume wiring for airbag is kosher.

Speaking of airbag, all I had to do was to remove the pins that went into the CL9 airbag (with the plug on the other end, as the Civic Airbag plug is different) and then insert that into the matching position on the Civic steering wheel airbag. Really easy to do, as there's just a small plastic cover that pops off, and the pins come right out.

9. RogerH69 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

So, my next little project is setting up a WiFi hotspot in the car that comes on with the ignition. All the portable wifi hotspots I've looked at have some sort of power button, so require you either remembering to turn it on (not good if you want to hide it away). Taking into account the fact I have an Android headunit, I hear you say "Well Roger, why don't you just use USB dongle ?".

Yup thought of that too, especially seeing this headunit (and most) Android headunits with a USB port say that they support 3G / 4G / both. Mine supports 3G only unfortunately. "Yeah so? Just get an old 3G USB dongle, and you're sorted, Roger"

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's way easier said than done with Android. Unfortunately, whether or not the dongle will work or not is not only dependant on the dongle, but also the SIM card. Thought I'm in no way an Android expert, in my experience, especially with these headunits, if they only support 3G, then you can't use a 4G SIM card, and have to get an old 3G WCDSMA sim card.

"So, just use tethering on your phone. Jeez, Roger. Why you gotta make it so complicated ??"

Very true, and that's what I currently do. In fact, I don't even have to remember to enable WiFi Hotspot, because I use Tasker (way cool Android app) to automatically enable WiFi Sharing on my phone when it detects the headunit's bluetooth connection, and then turn it off when the bluetooth connection is turned off. However, there are 3 issues with this -
    • If I don't have my phone with me, the headunit remains offline (and hence no navigation unless I use an app with offline maps)
    • I'm using data and battery on my phone (yes, I know I can just plug it in to charge, but still.... :Laughing:)
    • I'd like to use the 'track my android' facility to do exactly that, (in case it's stolen or otherwise used without my approval), which obviously won't work unless my phone's in the car when it's stolen
    So, as I already have a 4G Dongle, and all I need is a way of getting this 4G link shared. That's when my next little gadget comes into the picture, the TP-Link MR3020 (v3). This little baby (and I do mean little) allows me to plug my 4G USB Dongle into it. and then share it through a wireless hotspot. Its power requirements are 5V @ 1A (which is exactly what my headunit puts out). Most importantly, it doesn't need me to press a power button to turn it on, so will boot up as soon as the head unit does.

So as a proof of concept, I'll be plugging it into the headunit, as there are 2 USB ports not being used at moment, and when I'm happy with it, I'll look into hiding it away, probably inside the centre console, next to the gear lever, as I have a cigarette lighter extension wired in there, which isn't being used, so a cheap USB charger and it should all work exactly as I want.

10. RogerH69 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

So even though I got the '06 Civic on my CL9 Accord with SWC, horn and airbag working (no SRS light makes me think it's all good), what I've found is that the indicator is not clicking off properly. When turning steering wheel left with indicaor on, I hear it click after a quarter turn, and when I turn to center agan, indicator will click off. However, when indicating right and turning steering wheel to right, I have to turn three quarters before I hear it click. If I turn steering back to center BEFORE I have turned three quarters, then indicator does not click off. How do I fix this ?

Does it have anything to do with this yellow bit? This has 2 'teeth' that align with notches in the back of the steering wheel center piece. This may have moved (turned) when I was swapping steering wheels.
    upload_2019-4-30_15-45-24.

Last edited: Tuesday 30th Apr, 2019
  11. RogerH69 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

So sorted the issue with the indicators by putting a spacer in to make steering wheel not go so far down the steering column.

I also got 'all' the bits for my little wifi hotspot project, so went ahead and installed that too.

So, one USB Dongle
    20190503_192450.

Plus one portable 3G/4G wireless router
    20190503_192456.

And you have a USB powered wifi hotspot
    20190503_192504.

I connected this to a USB charger plugged into a spare cigarette lighter I already had wired up inside the center console
    20190503_201046.

The wifi hotspot now starts up when ignition is on, and headunit is setup to use this, instead of my phone.
    20190503_201440.

Sweet :Grin:

I also got myself a bonnet protector, because I've already noticed stone chips on the bonnet that weren't there when I bought the car (seems either the roads I drive on are peppered with crap, or my driving style puts me in the path of flying stones, seeing as I had the same issue with both my Preludes)
    20190503_185723.

Nels likes this.
  12. RogerH69 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

Bonnet protector is off again (probably a good thing, as I wasn't 100% happy about how it gets mounted, with 2 of the metal clips being sandwiched between the hood front trim and the hood), as I cracked it :brickwall:

Had some issues with my lil WiFi hotspot setup, and I kept on losing connection to internet (though wifi hotspot was up). I originally thought it was the 4G USB Dongle losing connection due to me driving, and got a Huawei plug in wifi hotspot (plugs into cigarette lighter), but the same happened with this (and it got a little hot so wasn't happy having it sucked away in the center console). I then went and got a different sim card (1 month contract data sim) and this is working perfectly. Seems the pay as you go sim I originally had didn't like being used as a tethered device, which is why tethered devices couldn't get internet, even though it was connected. So now I don't have to wirelessly tether my phone anymore. In addition, I can use Trusted Contacts and device tracking to request the location of my car in the case it's stolen (dunno if it would be a good idea for me to track down someone that stole my baby though....)

I also spent a good many hours customizing the launcher on the Android head unit to the way I like it, using Nova Launcher (my goto Android Launcher), but still wasn;t 100% happy. I then remembered I'd paid for a launch called Car Launcher Pro (very original name, I know). I installed this and it does exactly what I want. Here's a sample shot -
    Untitled.

As the headunit is Android based, it can connect to my OBD reader. Problem is the OBD port is taken up by the hardwire kit for the dashcams. So, I installed an OBD splitter.

Plugged into OBD port and 2 cables fed into dash
    20190511_121751.

First one (with dashcams hardwire kit) tucker away above driver's dash
    20190511_121800.

And I can still access the on / off switch for the hardwire kit by popping off the bit of trim on side of dash
    20190511_121818.

Tidied up, you'd hardly know it was there (may less obvious than the hardwire kit)
    20190511_123415.

Second cable fed under driver's dash
    20190511_123420.

And with the OBD reader plugged in
    20190512_121446.

Can barely see it, and only if you get real low
    20190512_121751.

For some reason, I can't connect to the Bluetooth OBD reader I have using the head unit, even though I can connect to it fine with my phone. Headunit sees the OBD reader (OBDLink LX) but when I tap it to connect, nothing happens. I've therefore gone and got a cheap Wifi OBD reader, which I CAN connect to. Don;t like it though as it's a cheap Chinese knockoff of a OBDLink MX and very buggy.

Anyway, got headunit working as I want now, so mostly happy with it (only complaints are BT OBD don't work, AC controls are for a LHD car and door open sensors are swapped around, so it shows left door as open when right door is open)

13. RogerH69 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

With the rear light from a Euro model, and a super bright red LED, balance is restored to Ruby's rear end :Grin:

20190521_190716.

For those that don't see it - I've replaced the rear lights on the rear, which has a red lens for the rear fog light, with one that has a clear lens, thus matching the light cluster on the left side of the car. Rear fog still works and shines bright red.

14. RogerH69 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

As you know, I'm always changing my mind, so I've decided to go back to the OEM satnav. Put the lil 5 inch LCD back for reversing camera, and I was thinking of getting an XCarlink again, but wasn;t really happy with how limiting it was, so I've gone for a BlueTooth FM transmitter instead. This has facility to play music from SD / USB, as well act as bluetooth hands free. And I can still use satnav on my phone (with sound via stereo) if I need more up to data maps.

Yesterday she went in for her MOT and I'm happy to report that she passed - 14 years old and not a single MOT failure :Smile:

Couple of advisories though - both top front ball joints have slight play and both lower front bushed slightly worn

15. SpeedyGee The Invincible Admin Club H-Tune

England Speedy Birmingham
    You didn't like the Android unit?

16. RogerH69 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

It worked well, but to me it just looked too big (OCD....) Flogging it will help me raise some much needed funds too :Grin:

17. RogerH69 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

Something that's really bugged me since getting Ruby is the state of her headlight lenses. It looked like there were stains on the inside AND the outside of the lenses. There was also moisture build up on the inside. I dealt with the moisture with some small bags of silicon beads, but the lenses still looked pretty tacky. This shows the right side, which was the worst looking.
    20190706_102111.

Today I decided to sort the outside of the lenses with a 3M Lens Restoration kit (used them numerous times in the past with great results everytime).

This is the final result. Looks like I was wrong about the inside of the lenses, which is a relief :Smile:
    20190706_125322. 20190706_125329.

I then turned my attention to the rear.... Even though swapping the rear lenses with those from a Euro model (so the clear lenses matched), the reflectors in the clear lenses were just too 'chromy' for my liking.... With a subtle lens tint, I think it looks a fair amount better.
    20190706_164832.

MattBeardless likes this.
  18. RogerH69 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

Decided I prefer the Type-S grille and once I fitted it with the badge in place, I think it looks better than a blacked out badge :Grin:
    20190713_144717.

19. RogerH69 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

Got bored, so did some painting this weekend. Started with the Type-S Grille, which I want colour matches to car
    67118052_1343646332452024_6211568392818655232_n. 67274697_490710838425808_5111969182069555200_n. 67337334_384243455563554_3338455354508836864_n.

I'll mask off the bits I want to stay red, and then spray the rest (i.e. grille and badge mount) in satin black, before removing mask and clear coating

Also did the slam panel. Don't have better pic yet, which is good as I completely messed this up and have some horrible looking paint runs that need to be sanded back and redone :disagree::Rant::disagree:
    67460425_2322068334703008_5558334919710605312_n.

MattBeardless and K24CL9Guy like this.
  20. K24CL9Guy President in Waiting H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    Interested to see how this turns out :Smile:

RogerH69 likes this.