Daily Driver Ruby

7th Generation (2003-2008) vehicle added by RogerH69, Tuesday 4th Dec, 2018

1. RogerH69 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    RogerH69 added a new Honda to the garage:

My Second Accord

Check the vehicle's full information here.

2. RogerH69 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What the heck, let's get the project log started :Grin:

So, I've gone and bought a bunch of stuff to go in her over the weekend - a Scoche HA1721B dash kit (also sold as a Connects2 CTKPHD01), 2 reversing cameras (not sure which one I'll keep) and some USB cables to mount in the dash (which will connect to Pioneer head unit I'm installing).

I've already got a headstart on the wiring for the dash kit, as shown below
    1472380_20181204_204921.

This evening, I'll probably start getting everything mounted into the dash kit, as it pretty much all goes in as one piece (same way that the OEM stereo comes out in one big piece) - this will involve mounting headunit into dash kit and connecting all wiring between headunit, dash kit LCD screen and dash kit controller, as well as drilling a hole in the lower section of the dash kit, which replaces the cover for the OEM satnav DVD.

This way, over the weekend, I simply have to remove the Honda satnav and plug in the headunit and dashkit HVAC controller :Smile:

Plus, it's much more confortable and warmer doing this prep work at home than in the cold, wet barn :depressed:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  3. RogerH69 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

And just bought a second hand fuel filter / pump / sender to use in case I can't get the float on mine working properly :Smile:

andy83 likes this.
  4. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate sounds like you will be busy I have no doubt you will be for getting full perfection in end...

RogerH69 likes this.
  5. RogerH69 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well I think the CL9 is pretty much there already :Smile:

As it;s mostly just a daily, I don't think I'll do MUCH to her (funds are tight too), but only time will tell

andy83 likes this.
  6. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate you will keep on top of her :Smile:

RogerH69 likes this.
  7. RogerH69 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So, all I need now is a car to put this stuff in :Smile:

Today I took delivery of one of the reversing cameras (I probably won;t use it as it;s quite big and requires drilling in the boot lid), and my dual USB cables. With those in hand, I started assembling the dash kit

Here's the storage pocket that replaces cover for sat nav DVD
    20181205_181344.

And after I drilled a hole in it (that was painful to do, as the kit was a LOT of money, so I had to get it right first time), I was able to install the dual USB pports, which will feed into the Pioneer head unit (yes, I know I scratched the front a little :disagree::Rant::disagree:)
    20181205_195930.

And with cover
    20181205_195955.

Then I mounted the head unit in the upper part of the dash kit
    20181205_183348. 20181205_183358.

Connected all the wires for the HVAC and SWC, and mounted the control box with double sided tape on top of the head unit
    20181205_190016.

Pretty happy with how this sits nice and flush with the bottom and sides of the dash kit
    20181205_190116.

Just concerned that the fit might be lust a little too tight for me to be able to open the head unit to get at DVD / Micro SD slots... Will have to see when it;s in the car :Grin:

8. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate well detailed and liking the head unit :Smile:...

RogerH69 likes this.
  9. RogerH69 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks. I'm actually really pleasantly surprised that the curve on the bottom section of the headunit matches the curve of the bottom lip of the dash kit near perfectly :Smile:

andy83 likes this.
  10. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

fits like a glove comes to mind mate :Smile:

RogerH69 likes this.
  11. RogerH69 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If the touch panel HVAC controls work as well as I've seen in a video, I might be inclined to say that the price I paid for the dash kit is worth it (probably not if I'd paid the full £459), especially with the amazing quality of the instructions that you get with the kit (ok, I had to ask for them to be sent to me, but it usually comes with them).

andy83 likes this.
  12. Duc de Pommfrit Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Canada Chester Northumberland
    I fitted this in place of rear number plate light for rear camera
    51A4F356-BBC2-4D9D-9EC1-DCD05896A568.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Can you spot the camera?
    F15744E3-6606-44BD-8D32-B768F922D556.

K24CL9Guy, haiduk, legend-ary and 2 others like this.
  13. RogerH69 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I got one of those on order as well..it arrives saturday. That is the one I will most likely use. Only issue I have with it is that I can't remove the guidelines on it and as camera ai t dead center, it may irritate my OCD:lol::lol:

14. Duc de Pommfrit Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

One of the rear cameras I bought had a link to cut to get rid of guides

15. RogerH69 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah I had one of those too on the Civic. The other camera I bought for Accord (which is what I use on Outlamder and Prelude ) has a little box with a button that allows you to robe lines, as well as adjust them. It onvolves drilling holes to mount it though. Ill see how I go with the number plate light one

16. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've never seen someone prep a mod before even getting the car :Grin:

Good stuff though
    Hahaha that curve looks uncanny, looks like it was custom made for this application :Hooray:

RogerH69 likes this.
  17. RogerH69 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As I said, I hate waiting around, and if you think about it, it makes sense that I do any prep work I can without actually needing the car :Laughing:

Yeah, I'm amazed how closely they match. I've had this model headunit in all my other cars at some stage, and in all the other cars, the curved lip of the headunit looks out of place with the dead straight design of the dash trim :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    @Duc de Pommfrit - any particular reason you put the reversing camera on the right, and not the left ?

18. Duc de Pommfrit Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@RogerH69 I'm just a guy who like things on the right, makes no difference for the viewing angle.

andy83 and RogerH69 like this.
  19. legend-ary Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    we have heard that one before :Grin: can't wait to read pages and pages of updates to your imaginary 'daily' :Wink:
    btw i do love how organized you are with your plannings etc

RogerH69 likes this.
  20. RogerH69 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ok, the PLAN is to keep her as she is (though to be honest, I will almost definitely lower her, replace wheels and tint windows early next year :Smile:

As I really hate spending time at the barn (especially with this crappy weather), I need to try and spend as little time there as possible, so I only go there if absolutely necessary :Grin:

legend-ary likes this.