Engine & Gearbox rhd CR-X k20 swap

Discussion in 'Honda K-Series' started by ek-greeny, Thursday 5th Nov, 2009.

1. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've got a mate doing this very swap at the moment, hes used hybrid racing mounts and a hybrid exhaust manifold, the car is CR-X 16v (not the VTEC). the problem hes having is that the swap manifold is fouling on the subframe, im not to into these swaps and not to sure how it goes exactly but i know the subframe needs cutting to clear the gearbox but it shouldnt have to be cut to clear the swap manifold

2. morf Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

is there some more holes on the hybrid mounts to move the engine forward

3. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i don't think so mate?? also he can't get the bonnet to close, i assume thats normal though

4. Jim Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

have a search on crxuk, theres one about somewhere :Wink:

5. morf Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

what manifold ?? if its a dc one there nown for there "good fit" haha

6. WELZ Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeh, you will have to cut a hole in the bonnet for it to close if its a 16v! :Frown:

IIRC, im 99% sure the manifold is not specifically designed for the EF, which means having to cut the rear subframe!

7. morf Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

he would have to do a vt or sir front end for the bonnet to shut right

bet this gona fly when its done

8. WELZ Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Even then you still have to cut into the skin of the bonnet!

Done a bit of digging, and it seems a hasport manifold bolts straight on! Which one is he using! I would love to see this car!

9. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's a White import valver glass top! Lovely motor!!

It's dc sport swap manifold he's using. HR mounts, and hell yeah it'll fly

u lot reckon it's norm for manifold to foul then, am u right In saying some people use EG subframes for some reason??

10. MugenRich Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Get him to talk to Maz at Hond-R, he did a K swap into a 16v chassis, and CR-X-UK has info on this too, all be it into a VT chassis (which is harder as the yanks never got that chassis)

11. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think he might have alreaddy spoke to him ona few occasions as I suggested that, he wasn't keen on keep calling up for advice when he isn't a paying customer

12. WELZ Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Heres a link to some random dudes build in the US for example and how his had to cut his subframe... http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64963&page=2

Looks like it depends which one you use! :Smile:

13. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just spoke to him, it's now fouling on the steering rack!

Haha gutted, I'll be going to help him tomorrow for an hour

14. jdmek Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Adam London
    i know maz had to do alot of chopping of the subframe. i spoke to him at jae whe he first did it. its cos hasport mounts are ment for LHD subframes where the steering rack mount if on the other side and clears ok etc. jjust take a cutter and welder to it.

15. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can't cut a ps rack! Lol

16. jdmek Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Adam London
    can shave it. maybe have the maifold modfied by someone like hayward and scott.

17. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I might take a mallet to it lol

I'm going to look 2m, I'd imagine the kids more than likely being a gonk about it

18. WELZ Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

lol :Grin:

19. hond-r Commercial Services Trader

he doesn't have to be a paying customer to get advise....

20. Performancetek Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Would the easiest option not be just having a manifold made for it? We done a custom header for my K20 Jazz for similar reasons, actually worked out easier than messing about making something that doesnt fit work on it :Smile: