ICE & HFT Replace factory Audio / Nav on 2012 EX Tourer

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by pauljdh, Saturday 15th Jun, 2019.

1. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pauljdh Belper
    MY DVD drive for navigation failed some time back and no one apart from Dtronix no-one would touch it - they want £275-300 and on top of that a pair of up to date DVD's are £200 - its still an average system for navigation so thinking of starting again with a modern android based interface.

The vibe is that these Accords are very difficult to integrate with and everything's a bit bespoke but for about £1000 it can be done.

Things to maintain are , reversing cameras, steering controls etc.

Has anyone been there and successfully swapped out and managed to keep it discrete and integrated?

Thanks

2. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Given time and money anything is possible, however people have tried and failed and resorted back to stock. As for the DVD's genuine ones on e***y are a lot cheaper even if last years version at the end of the day just buy the one for the country's you need (UK).

3. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, still need to get the dvd drive fixed first though and no one will take it on it seems!

4. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Whats up with the DVD drive, sometime you can just replace the laser unit yourself if you are having read errors.

5. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Had mine fixed locally by Bannings (not sure if they're national?); £246.00, last year and picked up a disc (E-bay) for £33.00, and all still going strong! Personally, I think the Nav's excellent (and certainly better than my wife's '13 plate C class), but one man's meat, and all that!

6. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

DIsc in in but not properly located and skating around, unit is making a clicking noise too. Trouble is need it in circuit to get reversing camera up and a few audio things too....
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks, was that recent? Illcontact them and could mail it but would prefer to have it working in the car before agreeing its all fixed, I fear the post could wreck it again!

7. julekasMobilek Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    The problem with navi and premium system - it is very complicated and integrated with itself. So you cannot swap one thing and replace with another (aftermarket).

here is wiring diagram of the PAS (premium audio system) + Navi unit:
    upload_2019-6-18_9-0-45.
    navi unit:
    upload_2019-6-18_9-20-33.

As you can see, PAS+NAVI have 3 main "ECU", audio unit (is CD changer near gear shift), Stereo amplifier (in the back, near subwoofer) and the most complicated thing is navigation unit, with connects indirectly with audio/navigation switch panel, navigation display unit and audio unit.
    So with less money, best chance, just replace speakers in doors, even subwoofer is difficult to upgrade. Or with unlimited money, you can change everything, but that said - is just like buying completely new audio system + labor for removing old one.

and this is simple audio system without navi:
    upload_2019-6-18_9-5-51.

And with simple audio system, you can upgrade with android unit, throw in some aftermarket amplifier and reconnect stock speakers, or upgrade them too. There is a lot of options with simpler system.

8. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wow, that excellent, thanks very daunting! I need to have a rethink!

9. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    That does look daunting!!! I had the unit rebuilt this time last year, but luckily the Bannings shop was no more than 10miles away, so I just removed it (easily done) and took it down. The mapping CD was bought around the same time

10. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've stripped out the DVD drive today, all the connectors and circuits remain in the chassis.....its an Alpine DV36 drive and there's a few around, even the Chinese are supplying them but Im not sure about Chinese looky-likey stuff yet, so hopefully it'll be a repair by replacement!

11. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Let us know how you get on!

12. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm still thinking as to how to fix it to be honest...... and then I got to thinking that in 2019 DVD optical drives are so old school and exploring if a SSD could be wired in to the ribbon cable, far more suited to the environment of the back of a car, may need some guidance but it can't be beyond the wit of man?

13. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
  14. thefrenchdexter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

France Laurent K Chalon sur saone
  15. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks! Unfortunately I don't read French.

16. Sandy52 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    Just use google translate- one click and it is in English.