Announcement Recent Downtime: Looking to the Future

Discussion in 'Club Announcements & News' started by DeviateDefiant, Friday 16th Nov, 2018.

1. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    Yes of course because saying trolls and troublemakers shouldn't be given amnesty as advice is causing problems.

Good luck with all the trolling, subsequent arguments and toxic atmosphere created by certain odd individuals.

2. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There is a very simple solution built into the forums... the ability to ignore users you don't like... I suggest people use it instead of reacting to those people.

If anyone refuses to do so, and continues to get into arguments with people they dislike... who's really at fault?

Dean Vincent and Nighthawk like this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yes well. Said @Dean Vincent

I suggest that all members put behind the past and help the community concentrate on the future.

Nighthawk and DrSam like this.
  4. Nighthawk Administrator Staff Team

Quite a number of members were unfairly treated and kicked out/banned/accounts deleted etc and some were quite rightly banned. We have/are inviting those who were unfairly back in to join us - some have agreed, some haven't. Others were banned for reasons which were never made public. CJ isnt coming back in a staff position, but he is still more than welcome to participate as a member if he chooses to do so.

Its time to draw a line under the sand. The three of us are trying to bring things back up again, and any troublemakers will be dealt with from a clean slate from this point onwards as there are going to be a number of big changes coming along shortly which we will hopefully be able to disclose tomorrow night.

So, lets try to let go of the past, and lets all move onwards and onto better things.

DrSam and exec like this.
  5. numpty67 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Scotland Glasgow
    Having not been active on the forum for a long time it is good to finally hear that there is a hopeful solution in sight. To be perfectly honest I just could not be bothered with all the petty negativity and what appeared to be a total lack of interest in correcting the issues that were there for everyone to see (or not).

After being asked personally to contribute my vast collection of brochures to the site (over a thousand) it has turned out to be a complete waste of time and energy on my part, it really does irk me that most of them cannot be seen and it's me that gets the alerts when someone is trying to view them telling me it's not working!! Frustrating to say the least.

I really do hope that there is a fresh start, I enjoyed the forum when I joined and tried to contribute where I could, but the only reason I was on here today was to see how easy (or not) it is to delete my account.

Good luck to all involved, and my apologies to anyone who has been trying to resolve the issues behind the scenes. I would be more than happy to help in any way I can to help move forward.

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  6. Nighthawk Administrator Staff Team

Thank you @numpty67 - a lot of people have been feeling frustrated, but take it from me, the negativity which started to sink the ship is not going to be entertained anymore. It is a long road, some unknown paths are going to be travelled, but hopefully, it will work out in the best interest for everyone in the long run. So we ask that you stay with us for a bit longer, and hopefully, together, as a community and not a dictatorship, that things will start to improve

DrSam, numpty67 and Dean Vincent like this.
  7. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hope you have a productive and enjoyable evening
    Nice to know that the forum is looking forward with a positive vision
    I can only say that I find this forum one of the best and easiest to use with a diverse and interesting outlook which keeps me engaged especially with topics I know/ knew very little about
    Good luck tonight hopefully you have success and fun doing so
    :Smile::Wink::drinking::Tea:

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Administrator Staff Team

I will post an update either later tonight or tomorrow.

9. Nighthawk Administrator Staff Team

@SpeedyGee , @DeviateDefiant and I are all sitting together now looking at monitors, so just to give a heads up that as we are going to be playing about with the database, there is a good chance that the forum will go on and offline throughout the evening. These outages are, at this stage, planned so bear with us

10. Nighthawk Administrator Staff Team

Its time to start crossing your fingers and toes people!!

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Site is going down folks.

12. DeviateDefiant Administrator Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Kettering
    We're nearly live, we're fixed, we're updated, we're moved, we're excited to share pretty good news :Grin:

First thing is first, our long-standing, frustrating, annoying and image issue is finally and permanently fixed. We sat down after I finished work on Friday night at @H-Tune HQ with a lot of highly optimistic hopes and aspirations dependent on diagnosing and fixing an issue we weren't sure could even be fixed.

Over the past year or two the club had several highly talented developers around the world look at the issue, without luck; and although others had reassured us it could be done, I had poured through the code many times before and drew a blank. Working with @SpeedyGee, it took several eureka moments deconstructing the PHP functions to learn how the MySQL database stored the image references in serialised BLOB format to give us a theory. Then we manually copied data from the ancient forum backup with working images, to the live forum database, until we figured what affects what - and got one to work. That's all that was needed, we could then rebuild the entire image reference table using a mixture of current and original data.

I cannot take full credit here at all, I don't think I could have cracked this without the help of @SpeedyGee who's knowledge seems to hold no bounds, nor could it have been completed without the only surviving backup from before the image data was corrupted, literally 2-3 days before, stored on an old dented portable hard-drive that @Ichiban had kept safe. Seriously, we didn't even know if the backup was intact, and here we are 100% recovered. I'm quite literally overjoyed.

:jumpup:

After we cracked the issue and recovered most of the image data, the next issue was rebuilding all the thumbnails, garage signatures and cover images which failed every single time we attempted a rebuild in previous years. Not only that, but our current server has a hardware fault that caused the downtime mentioned in the first post. I got so impatient on the issue I jumped the gun and moved the entire 200GB+ site across to H-Tune's main server with dual Xeon E5 processors (64 threads), 128GB RAM and RAID 0 NVMe drives; which handled the rebuild without breaking a sweat first time.

It cannot be our permanent server though, it was never spec'd out to handle the volume of content which is here on this forum. As much as I do need to use H-Tune to keep the club afloat, and integrate us more and more together, we're going to need another server move - it's already on order and being built in Germany to our specs. It's one of many pretty amazing things to come for the club.

I could write all day, there's a lot to say, but while I and @SpeedyGee were tinkering away, @Nighthawk has been working on the full announcement...

13. DeviateDefiant Administrator Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Kettering
    numpty67 likes this.